YNT-eligible college players -- 2018 thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Actually, Carlo and Matteo are not one and the same, they're brothers. Carlo, as we see here, plays for Akron, and I believe is a '00. Last I heard, Matteo is at Liverpool, and is an '01.

Tom Collingsworth and BostonRed repped this.
  2. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to his Instagram, US U17 Axel Alejandre has committed to the UNC Tar Heels.

3. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another US U17, John Tolkin, has committed to Wake Forest.

Tom Collingsworth, Zamphyr and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Pines is a ‘98

Winoman and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    While centerback is a deep position in our U23 pool, Pines has all the tools to become a contender for a spot with the 23s, provided he gets playing time.

I doubt he starts for DCU in the season opener, but if he can force his way into the lineup by midseason, he could be a U23 factor, for sure.

Tom Collingsworth, Winoman and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  6. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Pines seems to he solid in the air and has good strength. I'm not sure he has pro level passing and dribbling ability, although MLS is more forgiving.

7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #107 ussoccer97531, Dec 10, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    I’ve not seen Pines play in years and I’m in no way saying this is indicative of his current ability, but Pines is tied with Aidan Morris for worst single game performance I’ve seen from a YNT player. He played in a tournament for the U-19’s in Spain a couple years back, and was about as bad as a player can play. It was a game against Bahrain and we were the much better team. I seem to remember Pines gifting Bahrain three goals, even through they didn’t create any chances themselves.

8. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Reminds me a bit of another Terp, Omar Gonzalez.

ussoccer97531 and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  9. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Another name from the game last night I was watching is Sam Tojaga, 00 central mid who RSL should have a homegrown claim for. He won a starting job for Akron by around October and played just about every minute from then on.

I don't think he has any YNT callups but it looks like he's dual eligible for Canada, and did appear sometimes for them.

RSL released a bunch of central mids this offseason and does need depth. I don't think it's out of the question that Tojaga gets a contract and spends a lot of time with the Monarchs.

IHSSOC and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I guess this is only semi-relevant here, but interesting that Ken Lolla is leaving Louisville without a job lined up. (He was scheduled to make more than 300K next year, which is an interesting window into college soccer money.) He seems to indicate that he's not planning to jump to MLS. Might be an interesting YNT candidate..

https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...en-lolla-resigns-next-job-mission/2280551002/

11. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The initial combine list is out:

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/col...-announces-initial-2019-combine-list_aid45634

There are a number of ex-MLS academy guys who I recognize, who perhaps are not going to get offers from their one-time MLS clubs:

Amir Bashti (Stanford / San Jose)
    Marcello Borges (Michigan / NYRB)
    Sebastian Elney (Maryland / Philly)

A few more with YNT or YA history (I'm sure there are more than what I've listed):

Dylan Castanheira (Columbia)
    Tommy McCabe (Notre Dame)

It seems like hardly anyone in the soccer media even bothers to cover NCAA soccer anymore. Usually there are a few players who have received (likely unwarranted) hype by this point, but it's all quiet on the college front these days. Of course, that's a sign of the times in our HGP + Bundesliga world.

12. Sombrerito

Sombrerito Member

Arsenal
    United States
    May 6, 2018
    As unlikely as it is nowadays hopefully there's a diamond in the rough at the combine.

13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I watched McCabe as a freshman and thought he made a quick adjustment to the NCAAs -- was an instant contributor on a pretty good team. He's just a junior, but I haven't seen reports that he's already signed. Is MLS widening its scope with its college recruiting? If the NBA draft is any indication, participation in an event like this shouldn't hurt your eligibility.

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    For instance...……………….Chris Mueller.

But we can look at the first round of the 2018 draft and see only one or two players that had a significant role for their clubs last season. And one of those guys, Joao Moutinho of LAFC, was just traded.

The best that the majority of draftees can hope for is a year in the USL with a reserve team to prove themselves. Many don't even get that. There are first rounders that now aren't signed at all by clubs after the preseason. AJ Paterson last year, for instance.

I used to be in favor of cutting the draft down to 1 round. Now I'm not even in favor of that. Have a USL draft, and the MLS reserve teams can participate in that. Thus they can bring "diamonds in the rough" into their organizations via that mechanism.

I mean, there are folks that spend a lot of effort on draft analysis out there. And its 99.9% wasted effort. OOOOOOOOOOOOH...……..who should SKC take in the first round? Graham Smith, Michael Nelson, or Carter Manley? [All ended up being first round picks.] OOOOOOOOH....……….how about they just pass?

TarHeels17 repped this.
  15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #115 Clint Eastwood, Dec 14, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    Looks like former USYNTer and FCD academy player Brandon Terwege is transferring to SMU. Joins a backline there that also includes FCD academy products Eddie Munjoma, Phillip Ponder, and Sevon Pendergrass. Brandon led UCLA in minutes last season so this move isn't about playing time.

Tom Collingsworth, funinsun and TCS35 repped this.
  16. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  17. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Alejandre and Tolkin are both HS class of 2020, by the way. So, will they make it to campus? Who knows...

Tom Collingsworth and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  18. funinsun

funinsun Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  19. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adam Saldana has a verbal commitment to the UC Irvine Anteaters, although he is still very much open to going pro.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Usually field players of his caliber rarely play college soccer. I think there's definite upside concerns in his game, but I'd be surprised if he didn't sign with LAG's academy to eventually sign a professional contract within a year or two.

21. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    It's like top h.s. baseball recruits. Many will commit to a college as a safety net, but will surely go pro.

And with the Galaxy, they'll pay for a college education at Cal State Dominguez Hills.for their HG signed players.

22. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know of the equivalent HG-college relationship for other MLS teams? Does, for example, Seattle offer an education at UW?

23. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth and TarHeels17 repped this.
  24. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Feels like this Indiana team was almost as loaded as Porter’s Akron teams.

25. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Fun conversation, and I didn't see this year's IU team play, but those Akron teams were both loaded with good players, and played some good soccer. The 2009 team that didn't win the title might have been better than the 2010 team that did...