YNT-eligible college players -- 2017 thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    And Wake adds another YNT in Koby Carr.

2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
  3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
  4. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I'm gonna make an exception to my (not written in stone) policy of only posting official LOI announcements from schools and post this here:

Ben Huynh is a 00 from the Sounders academy who was in a couple of camps last cycle. He's going to the Naval Academy, as announced below on his twitter account and, yesterday, by the Sounders.

DOD regs prevent announcing incoming cadets/midshipman till the summer so you can't get an official announcement from the school, hence the exception.

942501414194073600 is not a valid tweet id

6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    soccersubjectively repped this.
  7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Sandon Mibut repped this.
  8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    AJ Seals, a 00 from Orlando's academy who was in the mega-camp last month has signed with NC State.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  9. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    By my count, I have 19 99/00s who have been with the YNTs since 2016 who are HS seniors this fall who have verbally committed to a program but it hasn't been announced yet. So we can expect more signings to come.

10. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
  11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    autobus39 repped this.
  12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Guessing money and minutes. They had eight seniors and two pretty small classes behind them. At least two of those seniors were probably on full rides. And it wouldn't be shocking if Michel and Ortiz aren't back in the fall.

13. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Jean-Julian Foe Nuphaus, a 00 D from the Earthquakes academy who was in the U19 YNT camp last month, is going to Cal. (I know the Quakes are really high on him so I don't know how long he'll be in Berkeley.

autobus39 repped this.
  14. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Winoman repped this.
  15. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Akron, which has produced a few pro players of late, announces 00 YNT defender Carlo Ritaccio.

16. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cal's incoming class looks particularly interesting. I won't be surprised if some guys never make it to campus or are one-and-done. Though of course, sometimes players stick around for 1-2 years longer than they might otherwise at prestige academic institutions.

They even have a kid named Christian Gomez! That made me check in on what happened to the tail end of the Argentine Christian Gomez's career and, believe it or not, he's still playing in the Argentine second tier at age 43(!)

Sandon Mibut and Winoman repped this.
  17. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Here's one that will be of interest to @Dave Marino-Nachison and other followers of YNTs abroad.

Cody Sundqvist, a 99 who has been with Firoentina's academy in Italy and got some U18 call-ups last cycle, has signed with UCLA.

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  18. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Sam Fowler, a 00 GK from the Sounders' academy who was in the mega-camp last month stays in Seattle and signs with Washington.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  19. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    He announced it himself on Twitter last month -- I guess this makes it about as official as it gets...

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  20. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I was silly to think I would be telling you something about YA you didn't already know!

Dave Marino-Nachison and Winoman repped this.
  21. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Winoman repped this.
  22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    One thing FCD does that I really like is that they've turned college signing night into a big deal. It has a sponsor. They even live-streamed part of this event last night with players and their families. 80 kids signed their Letters of Intent. What's always surprising to me is the number of boys not in the DA program that get NCAA scholarships. They're in the Premier and Select Teams.

[Also, we only focus on the boys' teams here. The FCD women's academy is starting to really fire on all cyclinders as well. They just destroy people down in Texas.]

autobus39 and TxEx repped this.
  23. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    https://instagram.com/p/BfPlDJSl73w/

So Chris Richards of FCD who, may or may not have been on trial with Schalke, signed an NLI with UNC. Of course plenty of kids sign and never go to college. But that tweet with Cory Gibbs, Weston McKinnie, and Zyen Jones made me think Cory was also his agent.

He can’t have an agent and sign a NLI. I wonder if he just was networking with Gibbs. I don’t really have questions I just think the whole scenario is intriguing.

Starman* repped this.
  24. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    It's not an unreasonable question to ask.

Players can have "advisers" who are agents they haven't signed with, as long as they don't take anything from said agent. (Technically they can't even have verbal agreements but that's tough to govern.)

The question with Gibbs and Richards is who footed the bill for Richards' trip to Germany? If it was Gibbs/Wasserman or a German club, then all bets are off in terms of the NCAA.

But if Richards and his family paid for the trip and Gibbs just happened to be there as an adviser, then he an still play college soccer.

I doubt the NCAA goes out of its way to investigate this as it's college soccer and we know they don't give a shit about it. But after all the issues UNC has had of late with the NCAA, I imagine their compliance department will take a look into this just to be safe.

25. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Winoman repped this.