YNT-eligible college players -- 2017 thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    The rich get richer as Wake Forest's announcements include Crew academy's Isaiah (please make his nickname be En Loco) Parente, who was at the mega-camp last month.

Winoman and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  2. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Wilson Harris, a 99 who got some looks with the U18s last cycle, signed with Louisville.

Winoman repped this.
  4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Have any of them been called up to the YNTs?

Also, one thing I've learned following these signings over the years is that the youth clubs, even the MLS ones, sometimes jump the gun on these announcements and things are far more certain once the school announces a LOI signing.

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    UCLA announces another YNT in the Rapids' Matt Hundley, a 00.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
  7. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm afraid this is going to get lost in this thread on signing day, but Clemson, North Carolina, Wake Forest, Georgetown, Virginia, and some other school will be participating in what is a US Soccer-ran Spring college season.

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...cer-launches-2018-spring-mens-college-program

This has been one of the main talking points in US Soccer reform, and its surprising to see something get done about it with a few days until the election. Hopefully this expands much more in the years to come.

Additionally, coaches from the universities will be working with US Soccer officials on game analysis and video review, which is a neat collaboration between college and US Soccer that, to me, represents an interesting partnership between USSF and NCAA.

8. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Aedan Stanley, a highly regarded 99 D from St. Louis, signs with Duke.

The Blue Devils also get Ian Murphy, a 00 YNT MF from California.

Winoman repped this.
  10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Also from Atlanta's academy among notables, Asensio and Brighton sign with Clemson, Crain signs with Brown.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  11. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    Interesting to see that it will be done in a similar fashion of USSDA games, I always thought college games were pretty wacky. I wonder how the precedent will be set from here. Will there maybe be a West Coast version of this next year? or a North East version? What does this do for recruiting? Sounds like USYNT coaches will be scouting this specifically, that's got to be pretty big leverage.

12. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Glady Mendoza, 99, who was at the recent YNT summit, heads to UNM.

961387828809641984 is not a valid tweet id

EDIT: Mendoza has been training with the RSL first team, but he seems unlikely to get a contract.

13. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    New Mexico has a big class with several YNTs.

It includes:

Alex Fetterly, a 99 GK from the - gasp! - Houston academy who was in the U18 pool last cycle.

Glendimir Mendoza, a MF from RSL's factory that was with the U20s last month.

And Erik Virgen, another RSL kid who has been with the U18s.

961387828809641984 is not a valid tweet id

961393856473391104 is not a valid tweet id

soccersubjectively repped this.
  14. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Just confirming this as being officially announced by the school.

15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    It is certainly interesting, though with some caveats.

For one, this "season" offers the same number of games as a typical NCAA D1 spring season. IU, for example, is playing five college teams, a USL team and a Mexican youth squad this spring.

http://iuhoosiers.com/schedule.aspx?path=msoc

The FIFA-style game format is interesting -- though of course it might actually restrict participation, which is one of the arguments for the NCAA's odd substitution rules. It'll be interesting to see how it actually compares in practice, and whether the games look different in some way.

Some of the other stuff (coaching education, analysis) seems like a good thing generally but might be difficult to scale across the college game. Maybe that's not the plan, though clearly they are looking for participants for 2019.

Of course, I'm sure the teams participating are happy to do so. And it does seem like a nice opportunity for these kids. If it succeeds and spreads, it might even be an inducement for more players to try to get to school a semester early.

It's a tentative first step, but it's something!

Wonder if any of these games will be webcast.

16. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
  17. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    With all the cutting and pasting, I posted this one wrong and re-posted Maher when I meant to do Fetterly. Here's the correct tweet announcement.

961381103352258560 is not a valid tweet id

18. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
  19. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Wake's slow trickle continues with the announcement of 99 Aristotle Zarris, who got several looks with the last U18 cycle, from the LA Galaxy academy.

20. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Portland, which once cranked put pro talent, but slumped the past few years, switched coaches a couple years ago and appears to be back in the pro prospect business as evidenced by a recruiting class with several YNT players.

This includes LA Galaxy MF Jake Arteaga, Rapids academy MF Greg Tracey and Orlando City F Alejandro Pereira, who had originally verballed to Duke.

21. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Maybe, but -- thinking out loud a bit here -- which YNTs will this actually help?

Everything U18 and younger is basically still in high school, even at the end of their "cycles."

So that brings you to the U19/U20 programs -- basically, college freshmen and sophomores. (Though I guess they won't be the only guys playing in these games.) These pools are increasingly professional, and by the end of the cycle the cream of the U20 pool is reasonably high-performing (rather than just whoever happened to sign contracts early).

So if this program helps identify and prepare a few guys to compete for U20 qualifying (or, unlikely as it might be, Finals) roster spots, I guess that's a good thing but we're still talking a handful of players at most. It's hard to believe that this would reverse the trend of U20/19 professionalism in a meaningful way, though I suppose it's not impossible.

The U23s are not really a YNT program in any kind of sustained fashion, though I guess this might be somewhat helpful every four years ahead of qualifying.

The biggest possible difference this could make in terms of scale would be to raise the average level of the four-year college graduate/pro prospect. Anything else specifically YNT-related would be icing on the cake.

22. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    I completely agree, I’m excited about this because of it could improve the kids coming from the college system. A split season is one of those things most of us are in support of. But my point wasn’t that it will help the YNT per se, but that if I’m Wake Forrest and I’m recruiting I’m going to mention that our program has a spring season that is specifically handled by US Soccer.

23. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Any word on what Tyler Freitas, who was once in Bradenton and is class of 2018, is doing next?

24. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    This isn't really a split season. It's the same amount of spring games that teams already played. Here's another example, from UC.

http://gobearcats.com/news/2018/1/29/mens-soccer-announces-2018-spring-schedule.aspx

Maybe they're incrementally more competitive or useful because of the format change -- we'll see.

As to your point about recruiting, I have no doubt you are right.

Brotheryoungbuck repped this.
  25. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    UCLA announces another YNT in Franuel Amaya. The Bruins had their worst season in program history last fall but they are re-loading with YNTs this winter.