YNT-eligible college players -- 2017 thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    He's rumored to have interest abroad. So, it's stunning to see him turn down MLS and Europe. It's not like he's Jordan Morris at one of the best universities in the world. But as you said, probably don't know the entire story.

2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Eight players who played college soccer last fall have been called up to the U20 team for next month's mega-camp.

Griffin Dorsey, F, Indiana (Soph.)
    Mark McKenzie, D, Wake Forest (Soph.)
    Justin McMaster, F, Wake Forest (Soph.)
    Trey Muse, GK, Indiana (Soph.)
    Manny Perez, F/D, North Carolina State (Soph.)
    Justin Rennicks, F, Indiana University (Soph.)
    Brandon Servania, M, Wake Forest (Soph.)
    Carson Vom Steeg, D, Stanford (Soph.)

Seven HS seniors who have verbally committed to play college soccer this fall were also called in to the U20 camp.

Simon Becher, F, Holy Cross
    Christian Cappis, M, Southern Methodist
    Jack Maher, D, Indiana
    George Marks, GK, Clemson
    Glademir Mendoza, D, New Mexico
    Aedan Stanley, D, Duke
    Greg Tracey, M, Portland

There's also a U19 camp for players born in 2000. A dozen of those players have committed to play college ball this fall.

Franuel Amaya, M, UCLA
    Charlie Ascensio, D, Clemson
    Alex Budnik, GK, Dartmouth,
    Jean-Julien Foe Nuphaus, D, California
    Sam Fowler, GK, Washington
    Matt Hundley, F, UCLA
    Isaiah Parente, M, Wake Forest
    Johan Penaranda, GK, Navy
    Jeremy Rafanello, F, Drexel
    Chris Richards, D, North Carolina
    AJ Seals, M, North Carolina State
    Sebastian Soto, F, California

anivha, Winoman and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Marquette '98 Christian Albelo ended up with just under 400 minutes for a losing team. He played in about half their games; anyone know if he got hurt at some point? (The team's ROY was a Germany freshman who attended J.S. Bach high school, which is kind of an impressive namesake for a high school.)

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/christian_albelo_1044882.html

TarHeels17 repped this.
  4. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    That's an odd one. He must have wanted to be closer to home.................[Rutgers ain't chopped liver, that's not what I'm implying.] If I remember correctly he's from PA.

Its not for a lack of playing time at UCLA as he started most of their games last season.

TCS35 repped this.
  6. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll need @Sandon Mibut to weigh in, but I'd guess this says more about the sorry state of UCLA's program than it does about Silva or Rutgers.

TCS35 and Clint Eastwood repped this.
  7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Rutgers is in a pretty sorry state as well, though.
    They were dismal last season. If I remember correctly, they didn't win a single game in their conference. That's inexplicably...............the Big Ten. I watched their game against Indiana and they were blown off the field. 5-0? 6-0? Something like that.

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    This is indeed odd.

It gets Silva closer to home and keeps him playing in a good conference. But there are myriad programs in NJ-PA-DEL-DC that would get him closer to home and keep him in a top conference that aren't as woefully bad as Rutgers has been of late.

It's also a continuation of the decline of UCLA. I mean, this was once Goalkeeper U. Tim Harris, David Vanole, Brad Friedel, Kevin Hartman, Matt Reis, Nick Rimando and Zach Wells all got capped by the senior USMNT. Several others went on to play in MLS. And arguably the best of the bunch was a guy named Anton Nistl in the late 80s who was just born at the wrong time in American soccer history.

So for a top GK prospect to be leaving UCLA is a really bad sign and it comes on the heels of UCLA having three straight awful seasons and missing the NCAA Tournament for the first time since the early 80s and their first losing season ever.

Peretz48, TCS35 and Balerion repped this.
  9. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    Rutgers could just be giving him a full (or the most) scholarship, but they were awful last year. Should test is GK ability.

10. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    This is sad for me. I no longer follow college soccer all that much, but back in the day I attended UCLA games regularly. My favorite moment was the game I was sitting in the stands and watched a freshman walk-on. After about 20 minutes I turned to his dad and said, "don't be surprised if your son plays professionally one day." This player was raw but very quick, like another galaxy quicker than anyone else on the field. You know who it is.

11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Feilhaber?

12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Gotta be this guy:

[​IMG]

Sandon Mibut and Peretz48 repped this.
  13. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    So after all the recent activity with signings and movement and what not, I was updating my spreadsheet with all the 97s and 98s called in by Ramos or Friedel during the last cycle.

Anyway, one of the chances was to a college player, Abdulkabir "Siad" Haji. In 2016 he played at D-III New England College but transferred and is now at Virginia Commonwealth and last fall he led the the team with 8 assists and added 2 goals in 17 games to help VCU to the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

Those are decent enough stats, but what makes it interesting is that according to US Soccer, Haji was born 12/1/99, meaning he played as a college freshman at 16 and played this past season at 17. In that context, those numbers are pretty impressive.

http://www.vcuathletics.com/sports/msoc/2017-18/bios/haji_siad_7yh8
    https://www.ussoccer.com/players/h/abdulkadir-haji#tab-1

So my question is if anyone can confirm if in fact Haji just turned 18. Because if so, he might warrant a look from Ramos this cycle.

14. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    He probably doesn't know himself:
    http://usatodayhss.com/2017/america...-year-haji-abdikadir-louisville-ky-collegiate

15. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Same kid?

Odd that a player with a pedigree like the one in the USA Today story only goes to a D3 college, especially since he was living in the same town as a collegiate power.

And how did the kid go from living in Louisville to Manchester, New Hampshire?

Also, to come to the US he would have had to have some kind of documentation of his age. Whether or not that documentation is legit is another question but it's not like he just made it up here.

And if it is the same kid in the USA Today story, all the more reason for US Soccer to get him in for a look!

butters59 repped this.
  16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #166 Dave Marino-Nachison, Jan 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    An old U15 announcement (from 2012) doesn't specify Haji's age, but it seems to suggest at at the time he was a '97 or '98.

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...-36-player-roster-for-training-camp-in-carson

Then there's this one from 2013 that seems to imply that everyone at the camp was '97s.

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2014/03/17/13/28/us-u17-97-mnt-to-convene-for-weeklong-camp

And of course he was listed as a '99 in 2016.

https://cms2.ussoccer.com/roster/swap?rosterId=b49108c1-cc85-4559-b054-dc4b777304ea

I don't pretend to have any explanation or even theories for this. I guess we'll see.

Ultimately, it's good to see him stepping up a level and still contributing.

EDIT: And I think it's pretty safe to say that the Kentucky player isn't the same guy.

http://gocards.com/news/2018/1/11/mens-soccer-announces-signing-of-abdikadir-and-masset.aspx

Winoman repped this.
  17. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Thanks, Dave.

I hope Louisville plays VCU next fall so Haji Abdikadir can face Abdulkabir Haji!

Seriously, those two coaches need to make sure that happens.

Peretz48 and Winoman repped this.
  18. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    May be not.

19. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    ussoccer97531 and Winoman repped this.
  20. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
  21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Today is national signing day in NCAA soccer. Haven't seen a ton of announcements yet.

Here's one, US U17 Arturo Vasquez commits..............

TarHeels17 repped this.
  22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    USYNT and NYCFC goalkeeper commits.................

23. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    This is interesting as he had originally committed to Navy.

But that was before his YNT call-up. Obviously he had a change of heart and it's tough to beat the ACC.

Jay Vidovich has done a hell of a job at Pitt. This will be his third season and he's already getting YNT players and last month one of his (over-aged foreign players who only had 1 season of eligibility) got drafted.

soccersubjectively and Winoman repped this.
  24. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Another player from the mega-camp changes his commitment. Jeremy Rafanello from the Union academy had verballed to Drexel but is now going to Penn State. It should be noted that last month PSU hired a new head coach from the Union academy.

From a USYNT perspective, Pitt and Penn State are bigger and better programs than Navy and Drexel so it's most likely better from a prospect development perspective. But for those programs, it's gotta sting to lose a high-end player. Guys like that don't end up at places like Drexel and Navy too often.

25. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    ussoccer97531 repped this.