YNT-eligible college players -- 2017 thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Many in Chicago would be happy to ship Vincent and slot Gutman into LB. The Fire also signed Cuban LB Jorge Corrales for the 2018 season, probably more as cover. To me Gutman has a much higher upside compared to Vincent. As for him going Homegrown, I doubt it as like Lillard his family has deep roots at IU. Oh, well.

2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    You think he's better than Acosta?

I've not seen him play much, but if he's better already than a good MLS starter, surely he should have no problem getting big minutes in MLS next season.

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Six months ago? Yes. Acosta is a much better left back today than he was in April. That's a combination of more time at the position and a lot of pro and U20 WC experience.

Acosta is probably more skilled. But Gutman has a lot of pace and a nice left peg and he has that bite that all top Big Ten players have. Six months ago he was a better left back than Danilo Acosta. (To be clear, I really like the way Danilo has developed this year.)

He's a good player. He was just born at the wrong time for YNTs. At the 2015 U20 WC he hadn't gotten to Indiana yet. This time around he was too old.

I think he's good enough to get some consistent playing time in MLS next season IF he gets to the right team.

But the Fire have his homegrown rights and the Fire also have a very good young LB in Brandon Vincent. They also tend to be pretty cheap with regard to signing HG players and usually let them stay in school for four years.

Now, if they got a great offer for Vincent they could probably slot Gutman in at LB and not miss much once he gets some experience.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Maybe like 8 months ago, I don't think 6 months ago.

Acosta was good at the U-20 WC, and I think it went under the radar because of how bad he was in qualifying that it took some time for everyone to recognize his improvements.

irondeepbicycle repped this.
  5. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    Fire might have 4 of the top 6 or 8 college HGP in Lindsey, Lillard, Gutman and Pineda.

6. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The first round of the NCAA tournament was completed last night.
    Surprising result? Maryland, with a roster of "who's who" USYNTers past and present lost at home to Albany 1-0. Last game of Eryk Williamson's NCAA career?

The player we probably don't talk about as much from Maryland as we should is Donovan Pines. Should be a DCU homegrown signing as well. We have so many good defenders in this age group that guys like this have kinda fallen off the radar. This recent article about him seems to suggest he's heavily invested in academics, though.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...erps-soccer-donovan-pines-20171115-story.html

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The game I'm looking forward to in the second round is SMU versus Georgetown. Other than that the matchups don't really excite me.
    http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/soccer-men/d1

Big East Champions versus American Conference Champions with a bunch of past and present USYNTers to keep an eye on. Guys I haven't seen in a while are former Bradenton U17s Chris Lema (who was one of my favorites in his Bradenton cycle, but is now a senior) and Peter Schropp (another one of these young defenders we don't talk about). I believe both are homegrown eligible as Lema is from NYRB and Schropp spent time at the Fire academy.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Pines is not a player I've been impressed with, and I think thats putting it nicely.

10. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    God-willing.

That said, DCU has a lot of depth at central MF with Harkes, Canouse, Jeffries. And as strong as Durkin looked for the 17s, I can see him challenging for minutes, too. In short, I'm not sure DCU needs or has playing time available for Williamson.

Obviously a trade involving him or some of the above could happen or he could to Europe - he trained in Scandinavia this summer - but I don't know if it's a simple cut-and-dry move some of us think it will be.

A raw but very intelligent, very athletic 6-5 kid seems like the perfect candidate to get into a pro system ASAP to let him learn and adjust to a higher level. Earlier it happens, the better, so he learns to rely on more than just size and pace.

Would love to see DCU sign him and lend him to Richmond for the year and pay for him to take classes at VCU and/or online at SNU. (Not sure how the lab classes are done on line, hence the need for a local school.)

Winoman repped this.
  11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    There's enough minutes to go around for all their young CM's. Durkin can also play CB, Williamson can play anywhere in midfield or attack, so these guys have versatility.

I think they could start with a baseline of this.

Canouse-Harkes
    Acosta

Back ups: Durkin, Williamson.

Keep Jeffrey as a third back up in CM, but don't play him, unless need be. Get rid of Vincent and Sarvas, who aren't needed.

That could be a very exciting CM. Now DC just needs to find a new GK, a CB and an attack lol

12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Obviously the proof will be in the pudding, which is a metaphor and not an actual statement about pudding-based proofs, but the club has indicated that it plans some pretty dramatic changes this offseason. Why wouldn't it? DC was tied for fewest points in the league, and they're moving into a new building.

Jeffrey and Sarvas were listed as likely targets in a recent WaPo article in which Olsen likened their roster for 2018 as a "blank canvas."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ited-has-blank-canvas/?utm_term=.c1f797e76f29

I believe I also read that Buescher will not return -- not, ultimately a great use of a high pick that could've been, say, Jonathan Campbell, who might be useful now with Boswell gone and some concerns about Birnbaum's concussions. (Though, in fairness, the 2016 draft looks pretty lousy in retrospect.)

It might make sense for them to look for more veteran help than a combination of Harkes, Canouse, Jeffrey and Williamson would offer. (Personally, I think Williamson would benefit from a season in which he is not expected to contribute heavily -- might've been good for him to be there in 2017.)

I guess we'll see. They also have the #3 pick in the draft at present, which could net them one of the better GA players. But they have other problems besides midfield.

13. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Akron and Indiana have made it to the College Cup. UNC v. Fordham and Wake Forest v. Stanford for the two other places.

Some YNT-eligibles all around.

14. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Trey Muse was outstanding for Indiana. Kid looks like the real deal. Not sold on Mason Toye yet. A lot of tools but not sure he's put it altogether.

Even though he isn't a YNT prospect, I'm glad you guys will get to see Andrew Gutman and hope he plays as well against UNC as he did against Michigan State.

Intrigued by Akron's Fr. D Daniel Strachan, a 99 who has some decent (6-1) size. Given the paucity of CB options the 20s appear to have this cycle, he might bear watching. Definitely want to see how he handles Stanford's powerful forwards.

Stanford has a lot of YNT-eligible players though a lot of them come off the bench as they are a pretty experienced side. Their Sr. CB Tomas Hilliard-Arce might be the first senior taken in the draft.

UNC also has a lot of USYNT types. Their central MF is Mauricio Pineda (who is also a CB) and Cam Lindley, who had an assist on the game-winner in the QF. Both are U23 YNT eligible as is Fr. LB John Nelson. RB Mark Salas is a 99 worth watching.

USSoccerNova, Winoman and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  16. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    We praise 'em when they do well so we gotta point out when they screw up, too.

Indiana freshman Griffin Dorsey, a 99 who has been a regular with YNTs in the past, had a terminal gaffe in today's NCAA championship game.

In double-overtime, Dorsey failed to clear a ball in his own 18 in a timely manner, got stripped by a Stanford attacker, leaving said attacker 1-v-1 with the GK, whom he chipped for the game-winner.

The GK, btw, was Trey Muse, who had a strong game and really couldn't do much on the game-winner.

TCS35 and Winoman repped this.
  17. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    #142 Sandon Mibut, Dec 14, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    Since it's a little slow right now, I thought I'd put together a list of where kids who have been called into the 17s and 18s this cycle who haven't yet signed a pro deal have committed to go to college.

Keep in mind these are just verbal commitments and they can't officially sign their letter of intent till early February. And that even after they they do that, nothing stops them from going pro if they get an offer before they matriculate.

Feel free to add any YNT kids I've omitted.

There are several kids from the U17 team that are affiliated with pro teams but haven't yet signed a pro deal (that I know of) and they aren't listed here but may still end up playing college soccer.

PLAYER ----------------- POS - PRO ACADEMY ----------------- COLLEGE ---------------------- DOB
    Carlos Anguiano -------- M --- LA Galaxy ---------------------- Cal State Fullerton ------ 9/28/00
    Jake Arteaga ------------- M --- LA Galaxy ------------------------- Portland --------------------- 2/2/00
    Carlos Ascensio --------- D --- Atlanta United -------------------- Clemson ------------------ 1/20/00
    Grayson Barber ---------- F --- Sporting Kansas City ----------- Clemson -------------------- 5/3/00
    Ethan Bartlow ----------- D --- none -------------------------------- Washington ---------------- 2/2/00
    ^Alexander Budnik ----- GK --- none ------------------------------- Dartmouth ------------------ 2/4/00
    Christian Cappis -------- M/D --- FC Dallas -------------------- Southern Methodist -- 8/13/99
    Koby Carr ------------------ M ---- none ------------------------------- Wake Forest -------------- 7/17/99
    Jean-Julien Foe Nuphaus M --- San Jose Earthquakes ------- California ---------- 4/24/00
    Nicolas Garcia-Murillo ---- F --- Athletico Madrid ---------------- Harvard --------------- 1/29/00
    Wilson Harris -------------- F --- Sporting Kansas City ----------- Louisville ----------- 11/28/99
    Matthew Hundley --------- M --- none --------------------------------- UCLA --------------------- 5/11/00
    Quantrell Jones ---------- GK --- DC United ------------------------- UMBC --------------------- 1/16/00
    Gabe Kash ------------------ D --- Sporting Kansas City ---------- Marquette ------------- 6/8/99
    Jack Maher ----------------- D --- none -------------------------------- Indiana ----------------- 10/28/99
    Glademir Mendoza -------- D --- Real Salt Lake ------------------ New Mexico ----------- 10/4/99
    Alessandro Milesi ---------- D --- none ------------------------------ Maryland -------------- 12/21/99
    Ian Murphy ------------------ D --- none -------------------------------- Duke ---------------------------- 2000
    Kevin Negrete -------------- F --- LA Galaxy ------------------------ Loyola Marymount ----- 1/28/00
    Alejandro Pereira ---------- F --- Orlando ----------------------------- Duke ------------------------ 1/18/00
    Alfred Perez ---------------- F --- none ---------------------------------- Harvard ------------------- 10/18/99 Carlo Ritaccio -------------- D --- none --------------------------------- Akron ---------------------- 1/9/00
    ^Tyler Shaver --------------- D --- NYCFC ---------------------------- Stanford -------------------- 5/13/00
    Aedan Stanley ------------- D --- none -------------------------------- Duke ------------------------ 8/13/99
    Gregory Tracey ------------ M --- Colorado Rapids --------------- Portland ------------------ 8/1/99
    *Arturo Vasquez ----------- D --- none -------------------------------- UCLA ------------------------ 1/8/00
    Chandler Vaughn --------- D --- DC United ------------------------- Pittsburgh ----------------- 2/25/00
    Erik Virgen ----------------- M --- Real Salt Lake -------------------- New Mexico ----------- 11/18/99
    Tristan Weber ------------- D --- none --------------------------------- Portland --------------------- 6/29/00
    Aristotle Zarris------------- M --- LA Galaxy ------------------------- Wake Forest ------------- 10/6/99

^On the US U17 WC roster
    *On the US U17 CONCACAF qualifying roster

Of the 30 kids listed, two are GKs and 14 are defenders, which is part of the reason college soccer is what it is these days. The top attacking players don't tend to play college soccer anymore. (For the most part, that is a good thing.)

Three Ivy Leaguers! Can see most of these kids leaving early if they have good starts to their college careers and get a good pro offer. I can not see anyone leaving Harvard or Dartmouth early for an entry-level soccer salary unless one of them gets a big offer from abroad. And even then, I doubt it.

If any of the kids not affiliated with an MLS team join or have joined one, feel free to add that.

anivha, Tactical Hipster and Winoman repped this.
  18. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    So TopDrawerSoccer announced their All-American and All-Freshman teams. I’ve listed them here with YNT-eligible players in bold and Americans who are too old for YNTs in italics. Fur’ners are in regular font. (I am also not sure why it is blue.)

First Team
    F: Jon Bakero (Wake Forest), Christopher Mueller (Wisconsin), Jon Gallagher (Notre Dame)
    M: Cameron Lindley (North Carolina, 97), Jean-Christophe Koffi (Virginia, 98), Rafael Andrade Santos (VCU), Antonio Bustamante (William & Mary; 97)
    D: Grant Lillard (Indiana), Tomas Hilliard-Arce (Stanford), Wyatt Omsberg (Dartmouth)
    GK: Jimmy Hague (Michigan State)

Second Team
    F: Foster Langsdorf (Stanford), Arthur Bosua (Columbia), Santiago Patino (Florida International; 97)
    M: Christopher Lema (Georgetown), Brandon Bye (Western Michigan), Rey Ortiz (Portland; 97), Drew Skundrich (Stanford)
    D: Tim Kubel (Louisville), Jordan Cano (SMU), Aaron Herrera (New Mexico; 97)
    GK: Ben Lundgaard (Virginia Tech)

Third Team
    F: Marcelo Acuna (Virginia Tech), Garrett McLaughlin (SMU; 97), Alan Winn (North Carolina)
    M: Eryk Williamson (Maryland; 97), Handwalla Bwana (Washington), Oliver Shannon (Clemson), Jose Carrera-Garcia (California)
    D: Joao Moutinho (Akron), Andrew Gutman (Indiana), Jimmy Fiscus (Michigan State)
    GK: James Marcinkowski (Georgetown; 97)

Moutinho, a freshman from Portugal, was their national freshman of the year. Curiously, he did not make their all-freshman team. Here it is. All of the American players are YNT-eligible, including several 99s.

All Freshman Teams
    First Team
    F: Manny Perez (NC State; 99), Mason Toye (Indiana; 98), Rodney Michael (UC Santa Barbara)
    M: Brandon Servania (Wake Forest; 99), Blake Bodily (Washington; 98), Marc Ybarra (Michigan; 98), Dawson McCartney (Dartmouth; 98)
    D: John Nelson (North Carolina; 98), Hjalmar Ekdal (UNC Wilmington), Ulrik Edvarsen (VCU)
    GK: Trey Muse (Indiana; 99)

Second Team
    F: Tajon Buchanan (Syracuse; 99), Griffin Dorsey (Indiana; 99), Davis Smith (Massachusetts; 98)
    M: David Loera (NC State; 98), Joe Bell (Virginia), Omir Fernandez (Wake Forest; 99), Nabi Kibunguchy (UC Davis; 98)
    D: Logan Panchot (Stanford; 98), Daniel Strachan (Akron; 99), Blake Willis (Columbia; 99)
    GK: William Pulisic (Duke; 98)

Williamson, Hererra and Marcinkowski, all of whom were on the U20 WC team, have already gone pro. Hopefully more of them go pro this winter.

(Sure would be nice if the MLS draft were open to them!)

Also, hopefully we see most, if not all, of these 99s in the January camp for the new U20 cycle so we can see which, if any of them, can hang with the pro kids.

19. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    943849131185000448 is not a valid tweet id

20. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Well that's a waste of talent. NC State is not great and not going to be, even with the NCFC Youth program in their backyard.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  21. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Sending players to the pros is one of the top recruiting tools for coaches.

Peter Bonetti repped this.
  22. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    I'd love to see the North Carolina USL teams try to sign him. Or, really any USL team.

23. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    #148 ielag, Dec 21, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    If he's getting a Generation Adidas contract, he's probably getting paid six figures and will have the rest of his college (should he continue his education) paid for. No USL team can compete with that.

24. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    He's not, though; instead of going for the GA contract he elected to stay in school. There could, of course, be other things going on; he's a hometown kid and his family is from a suburb in Raleigh. He's an NCFC product.

25. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Do we know he elected this, as opposed to just not being offered a deal? I have a hard time seeing him turn down a $100K+ offer to stay at NC State.