YNT-eligible college players -- 2017 thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    ACC Roundup

#2 Notre Dame beat NC State at home 3-0. Tommy McCabe played, but didn't have an hand in any of the goals. Manny Perez played and had one shot off target. Looks like ND kept them in check pretty well.

#10 Clemson beat Boston College at home 1-0. Tanner Dieterich with the goal from the run of play. He has been playing DM for Clemson. Clemson hosts UCLA tonight, so that is an interesting out of conference match.

#8 UNC beat #23 Duke in Greensboro 2-1. Maurico Pineda scored a goal and Lindley got a secondary assist. Lindley also got a regular assist on a cross that Winn headed home for UNC other goal. UNC is building a new soccer/lacrosse stadium so they have no games in Chapel Hill this year.

# 17 Louisville beat #7 Syracuse on the road 2-1. Nobody thread eligible players that I am aware of on either team.

#12 Virginia beat Virginia Tech on the road 2-1. Jeff Caldwell in goal for UVA.

#4 Wake Forest beat Pitt at home 2-1. Servania got an assist off a corner kick. McMaster got 8 minutes. McKenzie didn't play.

Tactical Hipster repped this.
  2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    The Cards' starting GK Gelnovatch is a '97.

3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Big commitment from an FCD youngster.............
    909595123901779969 is not a valid tweet id

4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Michel, Omaha '98 Elvir Ibisevic, and Butler '97 Brandon Guhl (an SMU transfer), all sophomores, were recently tied for fourth in D1 with 6 goals.

I don't see any thread-eligible freshmen in the top 50 goalscorers. It's possible there are some younger juniors, but I didn't check and don't know offhand.

5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Hopefully he doesn't make it there.

6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Probably depends on whether FCDII starts up next season.
    I'd rather him play a season or two at Maryland than sit on the bench like Cannon this season.

As far as forwards go, we have to remember that FCD also has Ferreira and Adonijah Reid in the stable that may be more likely to get first team playing time next season than Padilla. [Not to mention Bryan Reynolds, although he's even younger than Ferreira and Padilla.] My hope is that Tesho is taken in the expansion draft or traded, opening up time for one youngster to get his minutes. But there's not time for three.

TxEx, ussoccer97531 and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  7. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Caldwell, a Sr., is a 96 and no longer YNT eligible.

8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    There are many fine points woven together here, which makes it hard to debate this point. But if U.S. pro soccer can't make the case that it's better for you to spend a year training and fighting for game time than getting some games in the fall against amateurs, that may be a problem for U.S. pro soccer.

9. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    It is, indeed, a problem.

Hence the need for second teams in USL!

10. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Even there, we're a ways out. RSL has had some success prying guys out of NCAA programs, but most guys won't throw away a scholarship for a USL contract. So we've missed the guys like Dieterich, who I would absolutely love to see on the Monarchs.

Maybe we'll see USL salaries rise to the level of the MLS minimum salaries, 50K or so. That might tempt some of the best NCAA players.

11. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    Midweek Action

Clemson beat UCLA at home 3-0. Deiterich played 90. Silva went 90 for UCLA and Twerge played only 45 minutes.

Wake beat High Point at home 1-0 in 104 minutes (2OT). McMaster with the assist, but only played 17 minutes. McKenzie with his longest outing of the year getting in for 44 minutes. Servania played 73.

UNC beat George Washington 4-1. UNC gave some key players limited minutes with Lindley only going 30. Jeremy Kelly scored his second goal of the season. Lucas del Rosario got 48 minutes. John Nelson has been starting and going 90 for them. Pineda went 80 played DM.

12. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Also, all 3 Iloski's started, and two of those three are freshman. Milan is a 99, likely one of the youngest players in the NCAA (turned 18 in July).

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  13. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    A big key is for clubs to follow the Galaxy path of paying for college for these kids like the Galaxy does with ones that sign with them but also further their education at Cal State Dominguez Hills.

I know Ethan Zubak takes classes at UCLA. Not sure if the Galaxy helps with his tuition there.

14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    John Nelson (97) has started every match for UNC -- was third on the team in minutes after eight games.

15. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    What position does he play?

16. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Nelson is a '98. Started at LB pretty much the entire 2015 U17 cycle.

I believe he was an alternate for this year's U20 WC team. He was kind of in no man's land after the 2015 U17 WC because he wasn't with an MLS academy and didn't graduate h.s. until this year.

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  17. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #67 Dave Marino-Nachison, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    Yep, my mistake. I remember him as a U17 -- looked promising, had some links overseas -- but yeah, the timing of his high school graduation put him in an odd place. Or maybe he just wants a college degree. I don't recall reading much about him going pro in at least a year.

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I thought he didn't improve much later in the U-17 cycle and the games I saw of him after that.

19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  20. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Had never heard of this player, Santiago Patino, before reading this article but perhaps of interest:

Patino, a junior forward for FIU (3-0-2), is second in Conference USA with five goals and is first in the league in scores per game.

But he has a long way to go to match the soccer exploits of the other Patino men in his family, including his father, Milton, who was a pro goalie, and uncle Jairo, a midfielder for the Colombian national team from 2003 to 2007. Another uncle, Alejandro Patino, also played pro soccer in Colombia.

“Santi,” as he is known, came to the U.S. at age 12, settling in Orlando with his mother, Maria. Patino was already an emerging soccer talent at the time, but he took his game to the next level when he joined the MLS Orlando City academy.
    http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/c...nternational-university/article174902396.html

He's a '97:
    http://www.fiusports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6358&path=msoc

His PDL team lists him as a citizen. He had four goals and an assist for them in 7 games:
    http://www.uslpdl.com/santiago-patino

Interestingly there was recently another player of the same name who was born in Colombia and played college ball:

http://uncwsports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4909

21. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
  22. Starman*

Starman* Member

United States
    Mar 28, 2017
    That's where the guy Brian has been warning us about plays, Manny Perez.

bshredder and TxEx repped this.
  23. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  24. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Manny is good

On the U-18 team heading to Spain

25. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    So Portland's Benji Michel continues to look like an intriguing prospect who should turn pro after this season. He scored 2 goals this weekend against previously undefeated Western Michigan and now has 8 goals in 9 games this season.

As a freshman last year, he scored 10 goals and 4 assists and was one of the top freshmen in the country. He looks to better that production fairly soon.

He's a 97 who scored 25 goals for Orlando City's academy but I read somewhere that he isn't homegrown-eligible, though I can't confirm that. He also played at national HS power Montverde Academy, which hasn't lost a game in like 5 years or something and is loaded with pro prospects every season. In short, he seems to have the complete pedigree for a pro contract for an underclassmen.

Another underclassmen to keep an eye on at Portland is sophomore midfielder Rey Ortiz, a 97 from the Galaxy academy who won a couple of USSDA national titles there. His numbers as a freshman were modest - 2 goals, 3 assists - but this year he has 3 goals and 8 assists in just 9 games.

anivha and ussoccer97531 repped this.