YNT College Soccer Flavors of the Week, 2016 Edition

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Aug 27, 2016.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    There were a few names of note in the UCLA-UMD game last night, a 1-1 draw. None figured in the scoring, though Jackson Yueill had the long diagonal pass that made for the hockey assist on UCLA's goal.

http://www.umterps.com//ViewContent.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=29700&CONTENT_ID=1876462

http://www.uclabruins.com/news/2016/8/27/mens-soccer-bruins-and-terrapins-play-to-1-1-draw.aspx

3. DeAndresHaircut

DeAndresHaircut Member+

Jul 24, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where do you goons watch these games? I've only seen JMo's Stanford teams on ESPN3 a few times, but that's it. Are they on TV? team websites?

4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    DeAndresHaircut repped this.
  5. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I mainly use WatchESPN. Many of the games are archived there, which is pretty handy. Occasionally I like to watch semi-random games in search of interesting players and to get a sense of the general level across D1.

DeAndresHaircut repped this.
  6. DeAndresHaircut

DeAndresHaircut Member+

Jul 24, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotcha, I guess I should've checked the site on a gameday lol

7. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    I watched about 60 minutes of the Clemson-South Carolina game on Friday on ESPN3.

Tanner Dieterich started and played well. Clemson played a 3 man backline with 2 wingbacks in the game. It was a bit of a unique formation to match-up against South Carolina and also cover for an injury to one of their FB/WB. I thought Dieterich played well, looked composed and read the game well.

I didn't see any of Clemson's game on Sunday against Providence. A few people that did watch were impressed with Dieterich and really didn't know his backstory. They were just impressed that a FR would play that well at CB.

I am sure he is way down the U20 pecking order, but so far has been a strong college player.

Clemson has some other decent MLS level prospects, but all are foreign players that might show up on their YNT. They have some decent looking American FR coming off the bench, but nobody really standing out as a YNT type player.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I bet Dieterich gets a look before the U20 qualifying tournament. He's a good enough prospect that he may be an MLSer one day soon. RSL AZ homegrown? A good depth piece. If I remember correctly he went to Clemson a semester early. So he's not your typically freshman.

When it comes to CBs, we've had a looooooooooooooot of late bloomers over the years. Guys like Matt Hedges, Matt Besler, Steve Birnbaum, Geoff Cameron, and company got very few (if any) U20 caps. So even though we have a lot of talent in the pool at that position, I never count anybody out at that position.

Is Harrison Kurtz American? I remember seeing him for the Sounders Academy and thought he was a pretty nice player.

9. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes.

Dieterich enrolled in January, so he practiced with the team all spring and went with them on their trip to Argentina. He was with RSL for a 2 years, but was also at Bradenton. I pretty sure that RSL have his HG rights. Definitely wouldn't be surprised if he left early for a HG deal at some point.

Yes. His parents are from SC and his Mom went to Clemson. He only played 7 minutes against South Carolina and didn't make an impact that I saw in the limited minutes. He did play 31 minutes against Providence, but I didn't see it to comment. I think Kurtz will develop into a nice player. Our MF especially centrally and on the right is not super strong, so I think their is minutes to be had by Kurtz.

Another American on Clemson who is a FR is Michael Swift. From Memphis, but played the last 2 years in the Union Academy. I didn't expect much out of him based on the limited information out there. He played over 30 minutes in both games on the left wing and is incredible athletic. Raw, but could be a really good player with more polish.

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I had Dieterich pegged as one of the least talented players on the U-17 team, but that team was so talented. It doesn't mean he won't have a good pro career or that he's not a late bloomer. He could earn a U-19/U-20 call up with a good season, kind of like how Miles Robinson did that last season playing well as a Freshman CB for Syracuse.

11. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U-20 call ups who headed off to school this year:

Akron: Nick Hinds, Jonathan Lewis
    Cal: David Burns
    High Point: Chad Poarch
    North Carolina: Cam Lindley, Mauricio Pineda
    Palm Beach Atlantic: Abu Winter
    San Diego State: Christian Onalfo
    UMBC: Jonathan Bell
    Virginia: Lucas Mendes

2016 HS grads, MIA: Robert Castellanos, Amirgy Pineda, Yosef Samuel, Isaiah Young
    2017 HS grads: John Nelson

12. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And U-19 call ups:

Cal: Simon Lekressner
    Cal Poly: Christian Enriquez
    Clemson: Tanner Dieterich
    Columbia: John Denis
    Duke: Colby Agu
    Florida International: David Longo
    Furman: Ben Hale
    George Mason: Grant Robinson
    Grand Canyon: Hector Montalvo
    Loyola (MD): Brian Saramago
    Maryland: Donovan Pines
    SMU: Eddie Munjoma
    UC Davis: Nabi Kibunguchy
    UCLA: Kevin Silva, Reggie Cannon
    Virginia: Colin Shutler, Terrell Lowe
    Washington: Elijah Rice

MIA: Sebastien Des Pres (had been UCSB), Nelson Hunsinger, Felipe Hernandez, Abdulkadir Haji (had been Norwich University)
    2017: David Loera, Sam Golan, John Nelson, Habib Barry, Djordje Mihailovic (UNC), Devin Vega (Clemson)
    2018: Paxton Pomykal

13. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    TDS Team Of The Week

D Mauricio Pineda, North Carolina – The freshman defender helped set the tone of the season in the Tar Heels’ two opening weekend wins. Pineda limited the opposition to only one shot on goal through two games. He also scored his first official collegiate goal in the 3-0 win over St. Louis on Sunday.

Others considered: M Cameron Lindley (North Carolina) - had an assist and 3 shots on goal in 115 minutes over 2 games both 3-o wins.

Imagine if UNC also had Trusty on D.

Tom Collingsworth and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  14. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    #14 Kombucha, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
    Akron: Nick Hinds - One start and one sub appearance in two games
    Akron: Jonathan Lewis - One start and one sub appearance in two games
    Cal: David Burns- Didn't play in first two games.
    High Point: Chad Poarch - Didn't play in 5 goal blowout where everybody got in. Injury?
    North Carolina: Cam Lindley, Mauricio Pineda - See above
    Palm Beach Atlantic: Abu Winter - Season hasn't started yet.
    San Diego State: Christian Onalfo - Didn't play in first game.
    UMBC: Jonathan Bell - Started first game
    Virginia: Lucas Mendes - Played 28 minutes in first game off bench.

And U-19 call ups:

Cal: Simon Lekressner - played 61 minutes over 2 games for Cal as a sub.
    Cal Poly: Christian Enriquez - started both games for Cal Poly
    Clemson: Tanner Dieterich - stated and played 90 in both games for Clemson.
    Columbia: John Denis - Season hasn't started yet.
    Duke: Colby Agu - Scored a goal in 82 minutes off the bench over 2 games.
    Florida International: David Longo - Came off bench in first game and started in second game.
    Furman: Ben Hale - Appears to be 2nd string.
    George Mason: Grant Robinson - 2 starts in defeat last week. Team seems bad.
    Grand Canyon: Hector Montalvo - Started only game.
    Loyola (MD): Brian Saramago - Started both games and had 10 shots with 2 on-goal. Team also seems bad.
    Maryland: Donovan Pines - Sub in both games so far. Played 36 minutes in route against Hartford.
    SMU: Eddie Munjoma - Combined 29 minutes of action for SMU over 2 games. Did start for U19 team today.
    UC Davis: Nabi Kibunguchy - Stated and played 81 minutes in opener.
    UCLA: Kevin Silva - Appears to be 2nd string.
    UCLA: Reggie Cannon - Started both games .
    Virginia: Colin Shutler - Appears to be 2nd string behind Caldwell.
    Virginia: Terrell Lowe - Started and played 72 minutes in only game.
    Washington: Elijah Rice - Was a sub in loss to Utah State

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Klinsmann seems to be in another goalie battle, this time with a Freshman, Drake Callender. Callender is an October '97 out of the Earthquakes academy. Callender is very unheralded, I've read nearly nothing about him, but I assume that Callender is pretty good if he can compete for the Cal starting job as a true freshman. For Klinsmann's sake, I hope Callender is extremely good because its not good that a GK who's held in such high regard by our U-20 coaching staff is having a hard time beating out a keeper a year younger. They've both started one game so far. Callender the first game, Klinsmann the second game.

16. C-Rob

C-Rob Member

May 31, 2000
    It could be something as simple as the Cal coach wanting to get the backup some minutes early in the season, especially if it is expected that Klinsmann might be away at a YNT camp during the season.

Tom Collingsworth and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  17. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What Jonathan Klinsmann really needs is a father who would push him to test himself in Germany instead of languishing in the cushy, short-season NCAA, like Justin Vom Steeg's dad.

KUSA77, Sandon Mibut, dougtee and 4 others repped this.
  18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I'm not sure if he's thread eligible, but USYNTer Luka Prpa has been lighting up the stat line so far this season at Marquette. He's a freshman so maybe he is. He was in U14, U15, and U17 national team camps & I believe did spend some time at Bradenton. We'll recall that he trialed in Europe a little bit before going to Marquette.

4 games; 5 goals and 5 assists

[​IMG]

Winoman and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #20 Clint Eastwood, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    http://www.businessinsider.com/ucla-men-soccer-team-scores-3-goals-in-32-seconds-2016-9
    UCLA men's soccer team goes bonkers, scores 3 goals in 32 seconds

UCLA absolutely demolished the #1 team in the country, Akron, 6-1.
    Jackson Yueill had a great game with 4 assists. Eeephus. By the way, he didn't start the game.

Reggie Cannon has started every game for them so far as a freshman. Can't report on his performance level, though.

20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    ussoccer97531 repped this.
  21. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    TDS Team Of The Week.

The aforementioned Prpa was POTW.

M Luka Prpa, Marquette – Prpa was on fire last week with four goals and four assists from two games. The offensive outburst was historic for the Big East program. Marquette has never had a player score two goals and record two assists in back-to-back games in the 53-year history of the program. Prpa, a freshman, led the way for Marquette in wins over NIU and UIC.

The only other name that I recognized was Miles Robinson.

D Miles Robinson, Syracuse – Robinson scored two goals and added an assist in Syracuse’s wild 3-2 win over St. John’s on Sunday night. Robinson also helped anchor the defense to a 3-0 win over Colgate on Thursday as Syracuse is 4-0 to start the season.

22. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  23. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  24. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Ha. OK, one of the other freshmen...

You guess which one.

butters59 repped this.