yerba mate

Discussion in 'Argentina' started by smd9, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Try Whole Foods Market, I've been shopping them for easily ten years and they have a good assortment of drinkable yogurts. Lucky you, they have a location at:

4944 Shelbyville Rd
    Louisville, KY 40207
    Phone: 502.899.5545

They also have some of the best bife' I've had outside Argentina. It can be a little spendy but for good food, money is never an issue.

2. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    How long did you live in NYC? In Queens?

3. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I was in Louisville a couple of years ago and there is a nice Argentine Rest. there. The owner I believe came from Long Island, NY. Have you been there?

4. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    My family that came here has been in the city since 1960 when my God Father moved here. We've more or less been there since 1978. We've split time b/w NYC/Miami/Texas but we've always kept an apartment in the city. We were in Forest Hills for about five years but for the most part were in Midtown until three years ago when my viejo moved down to John Cooper Stuyvesant.

I visit as often as I can. Something about that place relaxes me. The city relaxing?:eek: Go figure.

5. Illrod3

Illrod3 Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes, I visited those towns but it was a long time ago when I was a kid.My granparents settled there as kids in the 1940's, they have crazy stories of living in the jungle and creating their farms from virgin soil. I found out my grandfather's farm was in Mojon Viejo, not Apostoles, which I think it is near Vincente Lopez. My mom was born in Obera though, and lived on street Santa Fe until my they moved all the way to Comodoro Rivadavia in Chubut, pretty much as different and far away as you can get from Obera.

Thanks, I'll look into it, I have found the closest thing being smoothies but they are not the same and don't get sold by the litre like in Arg. I have a Argentian friend who works for a food distributor called "Creation Gardens" and that's where I usually get all my Argentinian products: meats, dulce de leche, yerba, alfajores, sal gruesa, etc.. I have told him about yougurt bebible but he says he can't find it, so I'll check Whole Foods. Thanks again.

Yes, its called "Palermo Viejo" and its the only Argentian Restaurant in town. The place is pretty cool, they have a collection of soccer shirts on the wall, serve Quilmes and sometimes show big time Argentian matches like against Brazil. I know the owners and go there to watch games and drink Quilmes sometimes, but it is kind of pricy at least by Louisville's standards. (we have one of the lowest cost of living in the country)

6. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Ilrod I wonder if your mother would know El Colonial and the Schweigerts, my family down there, it is such a small world after all no??

7. Illrod3

Illrod3 Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'll ask her and let you know. Yep, a small, flat world.

8. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I live in Forest Hills! I was born and raised here.

9. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We lived off of Austin Ave and 75th.

10. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    lol NO WAY. I was just at olqm this morning at a funeral. I had a friend near you, argentinian as well. His dad worked in the building on the corner of Austin and 73rd just a block from you. I lived the other way, going towards rego park.

11. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Their is an Italian restaurant on Austin Ave that's owned by an Argentine. I went in with my dad a few years ago and he shit when he saw my BOCA jersey. Turns out he's a gallina like my dad. Dad cluck clucked with him and I was finally allowed service. Half the place had no idea what all the gesturing loudness was about. Funny memory.

12. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Pasta del Giorno, yes I know the restaurant. Been there several times. How is the Argentine scene where you are.

13. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Dallas doesn't have much of an Argentine scene at all. Most of the Argentines I know live out in Arlington west of Dallas. We don't even have an Argentine restaurant. I move to Austin this week and have already located this place http://www.buenosairescafe.com/ so I'm off to a good start.

14. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Why are you moving?

15. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Dallas has become more rat race than NYC and Austin has much more to offer if you're into outdoor endeavors. I got lucky and my job became available in A-town so I jumped all over it.

16. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What do you do?

17. InterFan76

InterFan76 Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Hamburg,NJ
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I've just started drink it using the tea bags. I'm of Italian ancestry and no ties to Argentina or Uruguay. My drink of choice was espresso. Still love my espresso after dinner but love mate for breakfast now. I have a cup a day to start my day. Never tried it out of the Gourd is it a lot different from the tea bag version?

18. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Talk about bumping an old thread:D Drinking mate' from a gourd is a totally experience from the bags. It also requires a little more technique with regards to making sure you don't suck up really fine grinds through the bombilla. Also imho a big part of enjoying mate' is the customs or rituals involved with sharing it. If you are the only one drinking it then I don't see any reason not to stick with the bags as they are efficient. Oh and nothing wrong with espresso, it also falls under the category of "nectar of the gods"!

What brand having you been drinking?

locoxriver repped this.
  19. InterFan76

InterFan76 Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Hamburg,NJ
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I've been drinking Guayaki.

20. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The best brands are, in my opinion, Rosamante and Playadito. I also drink Taragui with palo a fair amount.

I love mate, I can't live with out it. I am practically cracked out at work because I drink a coffee every morning, either a cortado or expresso, then drink mate in the morning with people at work. Its the only way I can keep going :D

On drinking mate alone- I do it from time to time, and I don't use the bags. I am drink it amargo, no sugar for me, so i want the full affect and all the extra juice i can get :p

SupaMario repped this.
  21. Steazy McCloud

Feb 13, 2012
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I've never tried mate cocido actually.

22. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'm a big fan of Guayaki, fantastic fair trade mission driven company. They also offer a tremendous product in my opinion. From my experience having tried bags and gourds, the bags are pretty mild in flavor which aside from the caffeine is a biggie to me.

InterFan76 repped this.
  23. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    No surprise there:D

24. InterFan76

InterFan76 Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Hamburg,NJ
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I gotta try those other brands. I like it with sugar.
    Is this mate any good. Diego Lugano from Uruguay is in the commercial.

25. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I haven't had that particular brand, but I would trust the Uruguayos when it comes to Yerba... Its prob really good