yerba mate

Discussion in 'Argentina' started by smd9, Mar 3, 2006.

1. smd9

smd9 Guest

2. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Mate is cool. It helps me get through the day. But it's funny how in the US they market it as this health wonder and they sell it way overpriced.

3. devilman

devilman Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Houston,Tx.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    curing the Bombilla is the most difficult part wich many people dont have down .

prolly the easiest way to start is buying the combo pak from Taragui wich comes with yerba, bombilla,and the metal strainer straw.

Then pak the yerba tight so that the straw doesn't move then grab your thermos and away you go .... portable drink that gives you wings!

4. mariealus

mariealus New Member

Feb 24, 2006
    What the fcuk? Since when is this a popular drink in Mexico?

I've always known it as a South American thing, and I don't think I'm being a cultural elitist in saying that. I've never met one Mexican person that drinks mate! This is not to say that none drink it, but to say that it has the same cultural and social significance and popularity in Mexico compared with Uruguay, Argentina or Paraguay is overstating it and misinforming people. Argh :mad:

5. magia

magia New Member

Jan 5, 2005
    Asuncion
    Not just that when I lived in Mexico their have yerba mate in their supermarkets but it was of a very low cuality, I prefer my paraguayan yerba:p

6. mookhead

mookhead New Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Metro Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    My friend from Argentina just brought some Mate back for me. I drink Mate using the Mate bag(tea bag). I prefer this way, because I can drink it faster. My friend prefers the Argetine way of drinking it(silver cup and silver straw with the mate leaves soaked in hot water).

7. RacingGirl

RacingGirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 8, 2005
    SoCal
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    My dad still does it the old school way and puts an orange peel in it sometimes lol. I dont think i'd like to drink like tea, its just not the same experience.

8. FARFAN 17

FARFAN 17 Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Back in NJ :(
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I love yerba... Oh wait...

But I have not ever tried yerba mate. I have a River Plate thermos, which I got as a gift, but I don't have the yerba mate. I guess I should buy some, and try it out.

9. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Yeah, and we do the same thing with coca. Seriously though, Celestrial Seasonings has been selling mate in the US for many years.

10. Zitor

Zitor New Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Chicago
    Re: yerba mate para el TERERE

I wish I can share this with somebody here in Chicago when summer comes and I can go to the new Stadium with some friends. Cold TERERE, ice, lemon and peppermint. No beer can beat that.

11. smd9

smd9 Guest

That's how my dad does it.:D I remember this one time at the beach it was like a group of 8 of us drinking mate, and this fat ass lady comes up to us and says; "i don't think it's o.k for you guys to be doing drugs here on a public beach". then we all pause for a second and just start laughing at her, and then we explain to her what it is.idiot fat gringas they should mind their own buisness. hahah

12. devilman

devilman Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Houston,Tx.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I used to work in a car dealership in Houston with a buch of gringoid's and i'd drink my mate and alot of em' would say there's that dude doin' drug's again!!! kinda ' funny..... even the GM came over to me to make sure there was nothing Illegal in it!!!!!!! jajaja que Atorrantes !!! o' and he thought Argentina was part of Mexico!!!!!! this is a guy who makes $100k per year w/ a degree, tenia que ser......

13. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I noticed it's getting popular with the hipster 20s crowd in the U.S..

14. devilman

devilman Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Houston,Tx.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    well young people are more open/tolerant of foreign customes/cultures . try to get a fifty year old redneck to drink mate you be like pullin' teeth!

15. _RusH_

_RusH_ I Think I'm Going Bald

Feb 14, 2006
    I have not drank mate the traditional way since I was a kid.

Today, I use coffee paraphernalia. Coffee maker, filter, Mate...and presto. My daily Mate. Life in America is to fast to enjoy the old way.

There are many places on the web were you can get the good stuff for the right price if you are not fortunate to live in a Mate friendly area.:D

16. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Try the Guayaki brand, organic and tastes really good. Comes loose and already bagged. Nothing makes the day fly by better. I'm amazed starbucks hasnt jumped on the bandwagon.

17. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    What teeth? ;)

18. zombie 10

zombie 10 New Member

[​IMG]

WHAT ABOUT YERBA VERDE ! :D

19. devilman

devilman Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Houston,Tx.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Nobleza Gaucha 3.99 sin palo con palo$4.25 Fiesta Mart
    Taragui Combo Pak $8.99
    Cruz de Malta 5.99

or try to support your local Argentine restaurant's like the one's here in Houston,Tx; Maria's Pizza 9830 Meadowglen Ln. Houston, Tx 77063 832-242-1903 or Manena's pastry on Wilcrest & Westhiemer Houston,tx

20. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Good to know about the bakeries in Houston. I can now have her same day me facturas and canoncitas. The closest thing in Dallas to a good bakery is Cafe Zaguan. Good stuff, combo b/w Argentine, Bolivian and Uruguayan.

21. mookhead

mookhead New Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Metro Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    I have tried La Tranquera and Taragui brand Mate. Right now I'm fininshing off the Taragui brand 50 pack. I got both of my packs from straight from Argentina. However, if you live in Chicago you can go to TANGO SUR 3763 N. Southport Ave Chiago, IL. They have a market(el mercado, same owner as TANGO SUR) next store and you can get your Mate there instead of going to some YUPPY store.

22. cabanes

cabanes New Member

Jul 15, 2005
    world citizen
    Try the Rosamonte brand, that is some serious mate

23. Goofy

Goofy Member

Jun 10, 2005
    support for oneself.
    Is it really necessary to have a bombilla and tetera to make mate? Or can you just use any container to boil it and any filtering device? Can you cebar mate w a coffeemaker?

24. mariealus

mariealus New Member

Feb 24, 2006

My grandma used to make mate cocido for me when I was little with a little colander and mate leaves and hot (never boiling) water.
    If you have a mercaderia mexicana nearby they might have it in little tea bags which is very convenient.

25. _RusH_

_RusH_ I Think I'm Going Bald

Feb 14, 2006