Yellow Cards / Penalties drawn: The Great Jozy Debate

Discussion in 'Statistics and Analysis' started by NHFootyFan, Jun 8, 2010.

1. NHFootyFan

NHFootyFan Member

May 28, 2007
    Outside Concord NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Is there a place to collect data on how many fouls a player suffered that incurred a yellow (or red) card (and/or penalty?)

I'm asking, because I'd like to try to quantify The Great Endless Jozy Altidore Debate; the point being that I believe he created a great many cards / penalties, and obviously, would like to find some comparative data.

The additional question, what is the attacking value of drawing a yellow card foul? (The value of penalties is obvious, the expected conversion rate of penalties for the team) This one, I don't know how to do, but it seems an interesting question.

2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It may depend on what percent of players who get a first yellow card in a game end up getting a second card and sent off. Players may be more careful in how they play to avoid getting a second card once they have one card, but there's no easy way to quantify that.

3. NHFootyFan

NHFootyFan Member

May 28, 2007
    Outside Concord NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I agree there's no way to quantify how a player modifies his play after a yellow card. But I think the proposition that a defensive player does modify his play to prevent drawing a second card is self-evident.

Number of fouls before and after a yellow card?
    Number of tackles before and after a card?

In combination, that might give you a defensive aggressiveness index you could look at.

Defensive Aggressiveness:

SUM of FOULS/90 + TACKLES/90 = DEFAGGRO

Is that a worthwhile stat? Should it be a straight sum or should they be weighted somehow?