Yelldell article

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Sandon Mibut, Jul 23, 2003.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
  2. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    give him a callup! countess' performance on saturday reminded me of the countess who simply let the ball through his hands during crunch time at the u20 world championships in argentina. remember that?

i have no idea how good yeldell is, but lets get him in a u23 camp asap!!

3. mundial

mundial Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm...

"Yelldell's ultimate goal is to play for the U.S. national team. He knows the easiest road to play in the World Cup is through the United States rather than Germany."

Funny, but this may not be true. Germany has Kahn, Butt, Rost, and Lehmann, but we've got Friedel, Keller, and Howard. Not to mention Brown and Cannon, who are only going to get better.

4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    He's only 21 and already in the Premiership. By 2010 things are going to look a lot different and it may be more important how he stacks up against the likes of Countess, Warren, Saunders, and so on...

5. mundial

mundial Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also doubt whether he'll get a first-team game in the next year, maybe two years. But yeah, I guess he's as good a bet as any for 2010.

6. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Howard will only be 31 in 2010 (but my dodgy math skills may be wrong). I'm thinkin' he'll pretty much be The Man.

7. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    You can never have too many candidates at any position. Sounds like a good thing that Brad will be keeping an eye on him and who knows what can happen over 6 -8 years. BTW, Warren kicked his ass on Wednesday night but we can chalk some of that up to nerves for Yeldell.

8. Jimbo

Jimbo Member

Dec 17, 1999
    Washington, DC
    Yeldell made a costly gaffe against DC United, receving a weak back pass at the corner of the goal and not reactiving quickly enough when Ali Curtis lunged at the ball. As a result, the ball squirted loose to an open player for an easy goal. Souness said it was a rookie mistake and that he'll learn. He should have reacted and played the ball quicker than he did. I wasn't that impressed with him, but he only played for 15 minutes and a PK shootout (where he made no saves).

9. Colin Grabow

Colin Grabow New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, DC
    From the article:

"I'm going to throw [Yelldell] in as soon as possible. We have [FA Cup] games quite early in the season, and I'm going to throw him in and let him show me what he can do," Blackburn manager Graeme Souness said.

10. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    IMO, this is key.

I'm sure Warren knew that this kid was a threat to him on the U23/Olympic team and he responded to the challenge.

Now it's Yelldell who has to respond in kind and elevate to keep up.

We need depth at every position, as others have noted, in part because the players need to be pushed, both for their club places but for their spots on YNTs and full national teams.

I was very impressed with Warren Wednesday and I think part of that was becasue he didn't want to be shown up by new pu**y.

11. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Indeed. At Meet the Team Warren said something about their might be a U23 camp in September or so but he wasn't sure. Do you know anything about that??

12. mundial

mundial Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Touche, point taken. I guess I was just remembering how Friedel played in goal for ALL of Blackburn's games, minus one when he was injured. IIRC, he even played all Worthless and FA cup games too.

13. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    They have said Brad is worth 12-15 points a year for them, so why burn him out on the worthless cups? Allow the Yelldell to play in some games, if nothing else to get his feet wet.

14. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA

Judging from his performance on Wed., if they throw him in, they may only have one FA Cup game early in the season.

15. ignatz

ignatz New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Washington, DC
    I was also very impressed with Warren, but I had very different take on it -- maybe a mistaken one.

I saw Warren as a kid just out of college who had played in one previous game for DC United -- against the less than storied Pittsburgh River Hounds. A week or two later he's up against the Blackburn Rovers. I would have guessed if either Yelldell or Warren had cause to be nervous, it was Warren.

If an EPL keeper, even a back up, is intimidated by a team sitting last in the MLS East, whose problem is scoring, he should consider another line of work.

16. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Actually it'll be zero FA Cup games early in the season because there aren't any until Jan '04 for Blackburn. Worthless Cup is what was meant.