Yedlin's youth club complains to FIFA about MLS

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Placid Casual, Jun 29, 2015.

1. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I doubt it. Players move from youth club to youth club. I thought the payouts were based on specific percentages per age group that a club had a player.

If MLS is the first professional contract a player signs, I don't see that any payment is due. If a player plays for MeadManor FC from 12-16, then DC United Academy from 17 and up, I would expect that MeadManor would stand to earn Solidarity/Training based on the precentage payout in the FIFA schedule for the five years they had the player.

And, of course, the real mess to come is the part where the Jamaican teams want money for players who played NCAA soccer before joining MLS teams.

I'd love to see what UNC, in it's current NCAA situation, would do in the future if a check showed up as compensation for Omar Hohlness's time there.

And it would be awkward to pay PDL/NPSL clubs, but not the NCAA/NAIA clubs for players playing both in the same year.

2. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    This is a pretty monumental move if MLS will be forced to compensate clubs they essentially 'steal' players from.

If this is the case, MLS will be forced to they themselves finding and actually TRAINING players early on and developign them instead of picking of the top youth players of the area and then slapping an MLS club jersey on them labelling them as one of their 'products'.

A lot of clubs get robbed of their top talent for nothing in return. This is great news for youth clubs out there who deserve more.

3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Title IX only applies to education.

It reads: No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving federal financial assistance.

Not really applicable to this discussion.

Certainly there are discrimination laws to deal with, but the low salaries offered to women professionals wouldn't lend themselves to anything other than token payments. And solidarity payments only apply to transfers between federations which almost never happen for women.

Yes, the piece about funding for teams that produce players for the WNTs is certainly applicable, though it's almost a separate discussion and it wouldn't be funded by training comp/solidarity payments (unless it's siphoned off from the guys).

Bolivianfuego repped this.
  4. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Not just education.

"or activity."

USSF always pays attention to Title IX matters and maybe the Ted Stevens Olympic and Amateur Sports Act.

JasonMa repped this.
  5. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    "Steal" players? How do you steal an amateur player?

Bariaga and Bill Archer repped this.
  6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Training compensation and solidarity payments are different.

* Training compensation is paid at first contract and any time a player transfers until he turns 24. The amount to be paid is supposed to be determined by CONCACAF with several generalized "levels" the desired approach. The standard top fee in CONCACAF is $40,000 per year trained from age 12 to 23. Costs between ages 12 and 15 would be reduced to the CONCACAF standard of $2,000 per year.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/aff...tionofclubsandregistrationperiods_neutral.pdf

* Solidarity payments are paid throughout a player's career whenever he transfers between federations. The money comes from the transfer payment (5%) and is paid to clubs the player was at between ages 12-23.

7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. That can be read as any education program or education activity, That's a very generous reading of the United States Education Amendments of 1972.

There's no requirement that the New England Revolution, for example, have to offer equal opportunities to girl players at the same ages.

8. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Go ask top club teams that 'lose' a player to an MLS academy and get nothing in return and see how they phrase it.

9. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Bingo.

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Lose?

Did the MLS team show up in an unmarked van and have a couple guys in blankets cover the player and bundle him into the van?

11. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Like I said, go ask top clubs that end up losing a kid to a MLS academy team--ask them how they'd 'phrase it'.

12. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, that is only when the Cuba national team comes to town ;)

13. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If they are paying to play and then go to a place where they don't pay. Is it stealing or looking at their own best interest?

14. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Solidarity payments, taken as a percentage of a transfer fee on a player good enough to merit one, don't worry me at all. That seems like common sense.

Training compensation, on the other hand, is where the bleep could hit the fan. Imagine if every youth club suddenly marched up to every MLS, NASL, USL and ASL club with invoices.

Granted, those fees are tiered according to the level of compensation ("Uh ... OK, we'll stay in D3, thanks!"), but that could still be rather frightening. It's not as if the typical NASL or USL club has tons of revenue sources that aren't already tapped like a beer keg at 3 a.m.

15. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    That's where it gets tricky....

I have some players that the club I look for are looking in to this for...and they DID NOT pay because of financial constraints....instead got a free ride because of talent.

16. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Maybe even more appropriate:

carnifex2005 repped this.
  17. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If your program only goes to U16 (or whatever) how are you entitled to anything due to the kid moving on to another program (and/or) signing a pro contract?

Seems to me it's just like a player riding out his contract and then signing elsewhere ...

18. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just so everyone understands what we are talking about money-wise, here are the levels for CONCACAF:

CONCACAF
    USD 40,000 Level 2
    USD 10,000 Level 3
    USD 2,000 Level 4

There are no Level 1 clubs in CONCACAF.

Those are per year of training at a club between ages 12-23 (ages 12-15 are paid at Level 4).

Fees are paid to all training clubs, even if they are outside the US. It is considered a payment in lieu of training the player ourselves.

20. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's just like I've told people for years in marketing and sales situations: they come whining about how so-and-so "stole my customer".

Well no, see, in order for someone to "steal" something from you, you need to "own it, and the 14th Amendment says that you're just not allowed to "own" people any more.

Same thing with players. Yes, coaches do refer to some coach or club "stealing my player" but it's more metaphor than fact. Unless he has a bill of sale, it was always just a temporary agreement based on transient perception of advantage, to which permanence does not attach.

Bariaga and AndyMead repped this.
  21. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
  22. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    “To say that, ‘Well, they’ve already been compensated,’ well no, we haven’t,” he said. “Because although they may have paid the club fees to play the season, they haven’t paid the light fees and the field fees and even the effort [from the coaches]. There has to be something for the time and effort that you put into it.”

23. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do the club fees go to? Your pocket?

If you are a pay to play club ... I really don't feel anything for you and certainly don't feel you are owed anything on top of what you are paid by the players you train.

Len and Fanatical Monk repped this.
  24. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    FIFA law feels otherwise....