Yedlin's youth club complains to FIFA about MLS

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Placid Casual, Jun 29, 2015.

1. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Good question. It's probably in whatever contractual relationship exists between FIFA and USSF. Whether non-parties to the contract can enforce it via a signatory is arguable. In theory the USSF represents all soccer players and clubs in the country and are acting as their agent (not in the typical sense of the word) when Dempsey or Bradley go abroad. Failure to do so imposed a cost on some clubs.

If a court agreed that USSF had to abide by FIFA regulations and failure to maintain an accurate passport constituted non-feasance, USSF would then present defenses such as child labor laws, etc. Or it may rule nobody has standing.

2. Stupid_American

Stupid_American Member+

Jan 8, 2003
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to be pedantic, but the DRC did not disclose their reason(s) for dismissal. The article even states, "The documents didn't specify why the cases involving Sockers FC Chicago and the Dallas Texans were turned down."

The plaintiffs' attorney is the one who suggested the DRC dismissed on grounds related to poor record-keeping. It's of course possible that the attorney is right, but it's not yet in the record anywhere. As the article also suggests, the Yedlin ruling may provide more insight. For example, if Crossfire's claim is denied too, then it's likely the poor record-keeping was not a material factor in the dismissal (as Yedlin's passport was partially complete).

3. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's speculation, they'd have to pay $10k to get the panel's actual decision.

4. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think this would end up in a US court, I think it would have to go back through the USSF, Fifa, and CAS dispute resolution processes.

Bill Archer repped this.
  5. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    For every youth program or just for full-fledged clubs?

Stupid_American repped this.
  6. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Beats me. I try to pay as little attention to youth soccer in this country as I can. I believe most of the big time youth leagues have a relationship with USSF while high school teams don't.

7. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is correct. It has to go through CAF.

Part of every contract and agreement USSF and FIFA and CONCACAF and everybody else signs is that allutes are submitted only to the CAF and all parties agree to be bound by their decisions.

The second you appeal to any other court youve severed any relationship with FIFA forever.

8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course those P/R advocates who talk about getting a federal judge to force the USSF to follow the FIFA "requirement" that MLS have pro/rel don't seem to remember this.

(And yes, I saw the federal judge argument on Twitter today)

9. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    And it would be deemed an illegal ruling. The courts job is to enforce law not to violate law itself. And its outside the courts authority to regulate another private business just cause they don't want to do something that is in their mind illegal per anti-trust laws.

10. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Technically, yes. And there are player passes, but I don't know if they're really keeping records there.

I'd be curious to know if European and Latin American teams keep passports for clubs OTHER than the pro academies. My guess is that it would apply to very few players. Gareth Bale is considered a late-ish discovery at age 9.

11. In the Netherlands you cannot play soccer, unless you are registrated with the KNVB via your club, from the youngest player up to the geriatrics still playing. So yes, you are registered in the Netherlands and every club (amateur andpro) that has a right to claim part of the solidarity payment can point to that registration.

12. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If a club or academy wishes to take part in the solidarity and tc program they will register their players.

The payments are based on a players whereabouts from ages 12 to 21.

13. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    So does that mean the fault here lies not necessarily with USSF but with the clubs who are now suing for "their" money?

14. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure what you mean.

Crossfire claim Yedlin was registered with them for 4 years.

15. But also by the USSF? That's the only thing that counts.

Beau Dure repped this.
  16. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honest question: The USSF doesn't recognize or participate in Solidarity & Training Comp Payments, so why would youth players need to be registered with the USSF? What purpose would that serve currently given the USSF's stance on these payments?

17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, Crossfire Premier is registered with USSF and is part of the US Soccer Development Academy.

http://www.ussoccerda.com/all-clubs

18. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To give them a pathway to the pros, college and national teams. Consistent practices, professional coaches, USSF certified referees, 10 month schedules with limited number of games, travel reimbursements, scholarships, combines, international tours etc etc.

19. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They can already get that playing club soccer as is. I asked why a player would have to specifically register with the USSF, and also WHY the USSF would need to have youth players registered to them. Also, if players aren't eligible to move abroad until their 18th birthday, why would they need to register their passport with the USSF prior to their 18th birthday?

20. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What club soccer?

Try Google.

21. You cannot play club soccer without it, unless it's a non USSF/FIFA affiliated soccer club, in which case the whole compensation question is non existent.

22. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    upload_2019-3-17_13-44-40.png

23. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only reason to register is so that the player is put into the correct age grouping: https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...-things-to-know-about-birth-year-registration

As for the registration of passports, it appears to be only required for those youth players who came to the U.S. after the age of 10:

https://www.ussoccer.com/about/federation-services/intl-clearance

24. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But that's to do with nationality.

A 'Player Passport' is a document listing the clubs a player has been registered for since the age of 12.

25. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Why are the Canadian MLS clubs part of the US soccer development academy structure?