Yedlin's youth club complains to FIFA about MLS

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Placid Casual, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you have that in NYC. Manhattan Soccer Club (which has programs for every age range including 2-5) gives scholarships to anyone whose family is on government assistance and considers other applications for full or partial scholarships.

Last year the club awarded more than $350,000 in aid, as partial and full scholarships.

2. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are hundreds of non-profit academies in the US. The media likes to use headline numbers like "$3,000 per quarter" but you can find somewhere much cheaper. But academies have to cover costs, the biggest of which is travel.

My friend's son plays for a Red Bulls affiliate which is reasonably priced but the eastern regional championships are being played in Virginia, a 6 hour drive away. If you live and play in Boston it's a 1,600 km round trip to the regionals. Parents are asked to cover some if not all of the costs.

The national championships are in Colorado which is a 7 hour flight from Hawaii.

3. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got 326 hits.

5. [QUOTE="Paul Berry, post: 36974193, member: 269000"]There are hundreds of non-profit academies in the US. The media likes to use headline numbers like "$3,000 per quarter" but you can find somewhere much cheaper. But academies have to cover costs, the biggest of which is travel.

My friend's son plays for a Red Bulls affiliate which is reasonably priced but the eastern regional championships are being played in Virginia, a 6 hour drive away. If you live and play in Boston it's a 1,600 km round trip to the regionals. Parents are asked to cover some if not all of the costs.

The national championships are in Colorado which is a 7 hour flight from Hawaii.[/QUOTE]
    I'm actually not interested in academies as such, as this approach is contrary to what I described as the Dutch approach.
    Amateur clubs are no academies in the sense posters use it in the US forum. Amateur clubs are providers for people who love to play soccer and, while also teaching kids how to play soccer, in the process operate as a sift/net to select kids with better than average talent that might be of interest for affiliated pro clubs.

Sure, for certain areas it can be a challenge, but that doesnot rule out there are so many regions on the USA map that are capable of mimicking the Dutch system, that the distance mantra is a bit stale.
    I'm not advocating a nation wide implementation, I never did, but doing it there where it will be possible.

6. :D
    If we Dutch can sell the States Capitalism, apple pie and looney Christianity, my mission is to sell soccer for every kid in the USA;)

7. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm actually not interested in academies as such, as this approach is contrary to what I described as the Dutch approach.
    Amateur clubs are no academies in the sense posters use it in the US forum. Amateur clubs are providers for people who love to play soccer and, while also teaching kids how to play soccer, in the process operate as a sift/net to select kids with better than average talent that might be of interest for affiliated pro clubs.

Sure, for certain areas it can be a challenge, but that doesnot rule out there are so many regions on the USA map that are capable of mimicking the Dutch system, that the distance mantra is a bit stale.
    I'm not advocating a nation wide implementation, I never did, but doing it there where it will be possible.[/QUOTE]

OK let's say travel isn't a problem (even though amateur teams may have to travel 3 hours to an away game), who owns it? Who funds it?

8. [QUOTE="Paul Berry, post: 36974286, member: 269000"

OK let's say travel isn't a problem (even though amateur teams may have to travel 3 hours to an away game), who owns it? Who funds it?[/QUOTE]
    In the Dutch system it's a foundation. Nobody owns it. Members by way of the statutes rule it. Members pay a (relatively minor) fee to play.
    http://www.kampong.nl/ is a multi sport amateur club with 6000 members the biggest in the country.
    https://www.kampongvoetbal.nl/lidmaatschap/contributie/
    gives the membership fees for the soccer department.
    Type lid-------------------------------------Contributie 2018-2019
    Senioren -------------------------------------€ 275
    O19 & O18-----------------------------------€ 235
    O17 O16 O15 & O14 --------------------€ 230
    O13 O12 O11 & O10 --------------------€ 225
    O9 & O8 -------------------------------------- € 195
    Benjamins----------------------------------- € 120
    This is how their grounds look like:
    [​IMG]

9. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I looked. Those 5,000+ members are across 6 sports. I see it's 115 years old, so maybe by 2110, if the planet hasn't been destroyed..

And €225-€235 isn't cheap. How is a family in an underserved community supposed to be able to afford that?

How you magic up a Dutch style system for adults in a country where organizers are probably of an age group where they don't give a crap about soccer?

Interest in 2018 World Cup by Age

upload_2018-8-5_15-7-14.png

10. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our country kind of has structures like this already in place: the YMCA's, and their are other sport and social clubs throughout the US as well. That said, it's difficult to see community clubs growing and thriving in the US for a variety of reasons.

One being the very transient nature of today's population. In America many Americans move around a lot for work. I get the sense that many people from abroad travel extensively, but by and large live in the same area most of their lives. There's a greater sense of community in other countries compared to in the US.

It's difficult to maintain a community club when populations are fluctuating. Hell, many High School's have a difficult time providing sports teams due to fluctuating populations and tightened budgets.

11. Not cheap? There are so many kids that are member of multiple sports.
    I donot know what underserved means. Google translate comes up with something that relates to servants.
    Kids that are too poor to afford this can apply to funds like Jeugdsportfonds and many cities issue rebate passes, with which among others kids can sport at a discount or sometimes even free.
    The club where Dirk Kuyt started Quickboys and they charge this:
    http://www.quickboys.nl/text/hoe_word_ik_lid_contributies
    This includes sponsored outfits, called "kledingplan".
    They have a kind of sponsored outfit arrangement.
    The local rivals are:
    https://www.vvkatwijk.nl/index.php?page=Contributie&sid=1
    Those include free outfits on loan, that are funded by sponsors, called "kledingplan" too.

By the way, to come back to the original subject of the thread, the transfer of Dirk did give Quick boys a 2% share of the transfer fees to Liverpool (€ 269,000)!

12. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was reading about high school soccer earlier. Parents believe that sending their kids to a private academy gives them a better chance of getting a scholarship. The academy coaches ban students from playing for their high schools. That devalues high school soccer so parents send their kids to private academies to improve their chances of getting a scholarship. That further devalues high school soccer. And so on.

For academies it's all about profit. The pricy summer camps are coached by European kids who'll work for a couple of hundred bucks a week because it's a free trip to America.

It's the way America works. I've got friends who took masters degrees because they believed the hype about making more money, then gone off to work in a completely different career and spent the next 20 years paying off their student loans.

If you look at how soccer clubs formed in England it was through social clubs, churches and schools. In the US it was European immigrant communities in the northeast of the country. But those communities have moved on and today's immigrants are more widespread across all 50 states

13. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Is this why amateur clubs are reluctant to be promoted to the professional leagues?

14. Yup, Feyenoord was formed by a bunch of mates in a pub. It's amazing how they overtook established clubs in Rotterdam.

15. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Well. . . Boys HS soccer has 400,000 participants in any given school year. 1% of those get pulled out to be in the DA, so it's not like HS is losing a lot, more like it wasn't very good to begin with.

Yoshou and jaykoz3 repped this.
  16. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    The problem is that the 1% aren't distributed evenly by any stretch. Private schools in Baltimore were losing a lot of players -- at least, they would have, if Baltimore Celtic hadn't been formed to pull players back from the DA.

17. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't there supposed to be a ruling on this announced last week? Anyone know what happened to it?

18. soundermiki

soundermiki Member+

May 24, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spoke to the attorney for the petitioners and no ruling yet. It was on the docket for 11/21 and as far as we know the DRC considered it at that time. My speculation is that they are drafting the ruling and as it's an important case, they are probably taking their time? That's all I've got; as far as I've been told, there have been no additional delays.

Ismitje, Stan Collins and Yoshou repped this.
  19. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #721 Paul Berry, Nov 27, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2018
    How does MLS new found enthusiasm for solidarity payments play into this case?

20. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even though MLS seems to have switched sides and the interpretation of the consent decree that it banned solidarity and compensation fees seems to have been wrong, there is still the issue with FIFPro and MLSPA opposing them.

Bill Archer repped this.
  21. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats abso,utely true but FIFPro doesnt like a lot of things and FIFA doesnt seem to care much, and the MLSPA has to collectively bargain anything they really want and, to put it mildly, solidarity payments are a good ways down the list of shit theyre willing to go to the mattresses for.

22. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    I don't know about that. The MLSPA does have to bargain with MLS for rights but solidarity payments would be a force coming from outside of MLS (in this case the youth clubs). If they believe that is something that would cause their membership harm they could directly sue to block the youth clubs from receiving the payments. They can't collectively bargain with the youth clubs because their membership isn't employed by the youth clubs and never were.

In theory, a team is going to build that 5% into their selling price so they aren't going to lose out for the most part. If they really wanted 1 million they'll sell for around one million and fifty thousand. Want 10 million for a player? They sell for around 10.5 million. They can find a way to get their money. The players on the other hand can lose out as it could raise their cost on the market by 5% and make it harder for them to get bought. All by a team that they most likely spent money to play for.

Now this section in the CBA:

That would likely need to be bargained on in order for MLS to receive solidarity payments. But in this situation the MLSPA would go after the youth clubs in order to get those payments to be determined as illegal.

23. soundermiki

soundermiki Member+

May 24, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everything I've been told is that the MLSPA is not opposing this any more. So that's good news.