Guardian of the Galatasaray: DeAndre Roselle Yedlin

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Friedel'sAccent, Aug 13, 2014.

1. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    maybe hazard would testify on yedlin's behalf

2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agudelo was a free transfer. Spurs put their money where their mouth is. I think that's a big difference.

3. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    Yedlin was on a WC team that made it out of group and played significant minutes in the tournament, I'd be very surprised if he didn't get a WP, despite the toughening of rules.

Martin Fischer repped this.
  4. GalacticoX4

GalacticoX4 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    well you can bet if a work permit doesn't come through they aren't paying for him. And if they didn't write that in the clause they have the dumbest lawyers in sports.

I hope so.

5. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a perfect candidate for a successful appeal. Why on earth Stoke ever thought that agudelo was a good candidate and put their money behind it was anyone's guess. Yedlin is in a vastly different risk category for WP application acceptance. He's an automatic call up for JK when the full team is brought in. JK can go to the mat for this appeal process.

Martin Fischer repped this.
  6. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Hazard could testify on behalf of pretty much all the defenders who played against him this past summer.

russ repped this.
  7. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Yedlin doesn't get a work permit, that's not really his fault. And, if it's not written into the contract I wouldn't think it's because Tottenham's lawyers are inept. If Tottenham were so insistent on getting an agreement for the player NOW, then I imagine Seattle and MLS would have said "ok, but we get our money regardless of his work permit". Otherwise, I would think they would have more incentive to hold on to him and wait til the winter window for more suitors to come forward and challenge Tottenham for the rights to his contract. The negotiation goes both ways, is what I'm saying, and MLS seems to be getting pretty sophisticated in that aspect in recent years.

8. GalacticoX4

GalacticoX4 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    At most they'd pay a nominal fee upfront, similar to a deposit to hold an apartment with set payments at an agreed upon fee to be paid later contingent on meeting certain factors like passing a medical or qualifying for his permit. That would allow them an out should he not qualify for a permit, blow out a knee, etc. The reason you take the money now is it's likely the biggest offer from the riches league. It's a bird in the hand. If it's a straight purchase with a loan back they are fools if they don't calculate that he'll qualify. Maybe you call Klinsman and agree that he'll be capped enough times between now and whenever you plan to bring him over (January or July). Not to mention typically transfer payments are spread out over time not lump sums. It also helps with financial fair play to spread out payments. It's also a ridiculous risk to pay millions for a player if you won't be able to register him. If their lawyers aren't even that competent well then Spurs needs better representation.

wixson7 repped this.
  9. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't think we are playing any "A" internationals between now and then, right? Only qualifiers and official competitions count (IIRC).

10. Sal

Sal Red Card

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
  11. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

There might be a chance Spurs will loan him to Roma?

12. Sal

Sal Red Card

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nope :(.

13. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Can you clone him then?

14. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    ussoccer97531 and Winoman repped this.
  15. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Great read indeed. His story is very similar to our German-Americans who don't have close ties to their dads.

Great story and shows why he's such a mature guy for his age.

Winoman repped this.
  16. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. blackdeathFC

blackdeathFC Member

Feb 13, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
  18. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not an expert, but IIRC there were posts and links in the Agudelo to Stoke thread that said something like FIFA expressly forbids making a contract contingent upon receiving permission to work (i.e. a work permit in the UK)...which is why Stoke had to buy out Agudelo's contract.

diablodelsol and Zak1FCK repped this.
  19. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
  20. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "But there is still plenty of room to grow for Yedlin, despite all the steps he’s taken to get here. It’s easy to salivate over his speed and tenacity, but there are moments when it’s easily apparent he’s still just 21 years old, far from a finished product in MLS, let alone in the EPL.
    Look no further than the recent highlight that drew him national attention during last week’s US Open Cup final in Philadelphia. The play is remembered for his ability to
    somehow chase down a Union player on a breakaway from beyond midfield, but it’s Yedlin’s brutal first touch that sets off the play in the first place.
    Or take
    the Sounders’ 4-4 draw against the Portland Timbers back in April, when former Akron star and Timbers midfielder Darlington Nagbe carved Yedlin up on the right side most of the afternoon. The Sounders only salvaged the draw after Yedlin cleared a Timbers scoring chance off the goal line and then drew a penalty kick in the waning minutes because he overlapped on the right side and burst past the Timbers defense.
    “He’s not perfect,” Sean Henderson says. “But he’s done a great job at making all these jumps and proving himself. That’s where he has separated himself. That mentality: to improve his game, and to prove his game.”

http://www.mlssoccer.com/24under24/...attle-sounders-found-developed-deandre-yedlin

Cordell Cato - Earthquakes Midfielder...
    (On putting a few moves on Yedlin...) "[laughs] Of course. I mean, I did a couple of step-overs to create the space and I put the ball in a good spot and Wondo does what he usually does, you know, finish."

http://media.soundersfc.com/quotes-transcripts/post/2014/8/26/bh5j0umjm7e4cps8tvgpnd6m6qjvc4

21. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "...and Wondo does what he usually does, you know, finish."
    Sigh :(

dwsmith1972 and Soccer_Lancer repped this.
  22. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

23. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    FIFA does expressly forbid that in Article 18(4) of FIFA’s Regulations on the Status and Transfer of Players: "The validity of a contract may not be made subject to a successful medical examination and/or the grant of a work permit." If there is a contract, then WP rejection or failed medical regardless, the deal is binding on both parties. Period.

My guess is that there's a pre-contract agreement, which is something either party can get out of if they want to as long as the core contract terms (duration of the contract, pay and additional benefits) haven't yet become due to take effect.

Even if there is a contract, the WP risk for Spurs is a lot lower than Stoke took with Agudelo for the simple reason that Yedlin is an established starter for the MNT, which Agudelo wasn't, and has a history of being fit, which Agudelo hadn't either. If the WP is rejected there will a queue of European teams wanting to take him on loan - top-third in Ligue 1, mid-table BL or La Liga, and top Portugese or Dutch sides - and they'll probably pay a loan fee for the privelege. If Yedlin performs at that level in Europe and starts competitive games for the MNT, he will get a WP.

25. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yedlin has never started a match for our NT.

GalacticoX4 repped this.