Guardian of the Galatasaray: DeAndre Roselle Yedlin

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Friedel'sAccent, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Noriega7

Noriega7 Member

Newcastle United
    Dec 27, 2017
    beamish repped this.
  2. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Historic club with terrific infrastructure and terrific fans has a terrible owner who hires a terrible manager

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  3. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The internet is your flexible friend. Look at the sponsor on the shirt of every other EPL side for sports betting websites and you're good to go.

4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Historic? What has Newcastle that is historic? They won the league less than a handful of times back when Lenin was alive, but you'd be hard-pressed to consider them "historic."

Even Sunderland, that is a joke these days, has more silverware in their cases.

5. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you know what historic means, right?

6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    In soccer it has a very specific meaning: an old team that used to be a giant in the past, regardless whether it's still good now or not.

Peñarol is historic. Hertha is historic. Marseille is historic.

Newcastle is not.

7. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    right. they won the league 4 times and the fa cup 6. not a giant.

herta- 2 league titles, 3 domestic cups. giant.

hard to argue with that logic...and youre the one who brought up how long ago it was.

The Irish Rover and MtnGardener repped this.
  8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It's not just about winning titles. Leeds is a big club, even though they haven't won that many titles. It's about cultural presence in the sport. But I guess you need to grow up in the culture to know what I mean.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  9. randomnoise

randomnoise Member

United States
    Mar 26, 2017
    Right, it's about growing up in the culture... I'm sure growing up in a football culture in one country makes one an expert on the culture of all football countries around the world...

The English press seem to disagree with you about Newcastle. Leeds, Newcastle and Sunderland are among the "big historic clubs".

Honours:

https://talksport.com/football/3202...-number-one-ranked-2017-edition-171207264732/

Popularity:

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foo...lubs-England-top-teams-country-sportgalleries

https://yougov.co.uk/ratings/sport/popularity/football-clubs/all

Quite a few others just off of a quick Google.

The Irish Rover and MtnGardener repped this.
  10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Wasn't the fact that they were a big club with ambition (at least 15 years ago) the reason they got Michael Owen after Real Madrid dumped him?

11. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    What is the latest word on Yedlin? It has been quite a while since his surgery in May. I thought it was just a relatively minor one.

russ repped this.
  12. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Newcastle bought a right side defender just to cover Yedlin's absence. I gather from that that management does not expect him back any time soon. And maybe never if the new guy is decent.

14. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bungadiri, Robdog, freisland and 3 others repped this.
  15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Krafth seems to have replaced Manquillo as a RW in a 3-5-2. Being part of the team that beat Spurs probably helps get you another game or two at least.

That said, RW in a 3-5-2 is probably better for DY's skillset than RFB in a 4-4-2

16. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    That Spurs game was an absolute bunkerfest for Newcastle. Hard to see Spurs being able to pull that off week after week.

17. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nothing exemplified their team performance more than Almiron pressuring KWP on the right side of defense, then pressuring Lloris after the backpass, then tracking all the way back to the corner flag on the left of Newcastle's half, in something like the 80th minute. I've never seen that guy work that hard.

I still think they're going down, but that was a terrific team effort in a match they had no business getting a result from.

Winoman repped this.
  18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    How's Almiron doing so far this season?

19. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Almiron is on 0 goals and 0 assists over 13 games at Newcastle. Hard to imagine him not being adjudged a bust by Yanks Abroad standards if he were a Yank. As ArsenalMetro pointed out though, he’s having to do waaaaaay too much on a really bad team.

KenC, DHC1 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  20. jmplautz

jmplautz Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Madison
    This is a very important thought to remember. This isn't basketball where you can still fill the stat sheet on a bad team. Preventing and scoring goals takes a team effort.

21. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of Newcastle fans still defend Almiron, so I wouldn't call him a flop either. If he was a flop, they'd be the first to turn.

russ and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  22. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure Atlanta would love to have him back and at this point he would love to go back to I bet.

The Irish Rover and ttrevett repped this.
  23. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a Utd fan, I wholeheartedly agree, especially for 50 cents on the dollar or pound.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  24. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Now that we know of the complication to Tyler Adams' injury and recovery, I wish some journalist has made a call to Yedlin/Newcastle about his situation.

25. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interview:

https://www.nufc.co.uk/news/latest-...-injury-behind-him-as-he-returns-to-training/

DeAndre Yedlin is back in full training - and admits that he's looking forward to the prospect of playing without pain for the first time in well over a year when he returns to Premier League action.

The USA international made 28 starts and one substitute appearance in the top flight last season, before missing the final two matches to undergo surgery in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in May to repair a groin injury which had hampered him throughout the entire campaign.

"For nearly 18 months leading up to (the operation), I was having off-and-on pain in my pelvic region, and it got to the point where it became kind of tough to play," Yedlin explained to nufc.co.uk after a rigorous training session at the Magpies' Benton base.