Guardian of the Galatasaray: DeAndre Roselle Yedlin

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Friedel'sAccent, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I wrote "media" --not necessarily US-based. I don't see any use to propping up players when they're doing badly. I find the dishonesty of some of the people in these forums deeply damaging to our fans who don't follow our players abroad and are deceived into thinking they are doing much better than they are.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Except what you're writing is demonstrably not true. Those are NUFC fans. Not a US based person among them. It is simply a lie to assert that Yedlin is "hated" in any broadband way by any majority of NUFC fans.

It is almost impossible to find a single fan who prefers Manq to Yedlin. There aren't that many calling for him not to start.

It's a dumb post and a demonstrably false assertion.

3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    That is 100% true. Manquillo is universally despised, and Sterry is not trusted at all.

"Hate" was the wrong word, then. Let's say they'd prefer to have a better option and in general don't expect much good from Yedders. And from time to time they use expletives about him.

But can anyone (who's actually watching) dispute what the fans note in this thread about their defensive line?

https://www.not606.com/threads/our-defensive-unit.368834/

Their weak link is Yedlin. The majority of the dangerous play in the area enters through the right where he is. Most of the dangerous crosses come from the area he's covering.

Anyone who knows anything of soccer cannot disagree with the opinions in that thread. That's actual analysis by actual fans, not post by media types who want to get clicks!

4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    why is Manquillo despise? And it's good to hear Yedlin has a neutral standing. A lot of US fans (at least here) seem to really dawg him.

5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Beyond being limited as a player, Manquillo is cowardly. He rather passes the ball back than take the risk to dribble through one guy, and he's the kind who'd flop to the ground when touched as soon as he fears he's lost the ball.

The man is a disgrace.

PS: It's not so much neutrality as resignation. The lesser evil sort of thing.

6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    this post 10 posts ago would have saved us all many keystrokes...

As I wrote before: Yedlin is generally, in the broadest strokes, by the fans: 1) lauded for his pace and ability to help the attack 2) gently lauded/neutral for his crossing 3) fairly neutral to concerned about his positioning 4) often chided for his tackling and ability to read the game defensively

(although, again, the majority of the posters I referenced are fans, and the idea that "media" would give DY a vanilla rating to "get clicks" shows a fundamental misunderstanding of how "media" and "clicks" work... but I digress.)

BrianLBI repped this.
  7. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    If you cherry pick Newcastle forum posts they do. C'mon freisland.

freisland repped this.
  8. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For one Englishman's possibly intoxicated (gin? vodka?) opinion of the red card and good for a laugh, watch this video.

9. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #6134 neems, Dec 9, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    I have to agree with Rafa. The red was pretty harsh to be fair. The attacker was no where near being in a goal scoring opportunity. Such a shame, because they deserved a call on the elbow too.

Edit: Especially given the attacker used a shirt pull to gain a yard on Yedlin. I didn’t catch that live either.

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Wasn't he on the Real World?

11. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Weren't they the same show?

12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'm not sure. I never watched Big Brother but i did catch RW in the early 00's. That and Road Rules and their numerous "Challenges"

freisland repped this.
  13. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Puck was on RW San Fran in the mid 90's. I hate that I know that.

14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I hate that I'm aware of the Kardashians and Snapchat and bla bla bla CIA introduced crack to the inner streets... well the last is actually important.

15. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay folks, we're straying far afield from Yedlin. Let's get back to business.

16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Back to Yedlin,

Are Newcastle ever going to buy another RB or will he continue to be the ideal choice for the way the club plays (and the position it finishes in the league)?

17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    As a general rule NUFC fans/media are primarily concerned with attacking options. Many if not most are "ok" with defensive unit, but there are for sure those that would love a better RB (and most other positions.)

It is generally not the first thing mentioned however and given NUFC fans don't think Ashley will spend on anything, if they do pry some money loose most would like a top striker foremost.

18. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    There are people disagreeing in that thread so do I have to agree with everyone?

I mean you are trying to make a point where he's the weak link in a thread where they are celebrating the defense (and providing a balanced view of his play such as pointing out his other strengths)?

I don't know anything of soccer, but team defense seems to me has so many moving parts - strength of midfield, quality of possession, etc. - and one player's strength may help counter a weakness. Like I doubt we'll see Mendy or Alonso winning any defender of the year awards, but they help keep team's honest with attacking abilities. (Not saying Yedlin is in any way like those players, just that not all defenders are the greatest at their designated titles, i.e, judge the player for the whole, note just the weaknesses.)

neems and Winoman repped this.
  19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    5 more years of Yedlin being a starter. When he breaks Dempsey's field appearance record in the PL; I shant be surprised.

20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Yedlin's attacking prowess would be more relevant if he were a winger of at least a wingback. He's usually just your run of the mill RB, with many defensive duties where he, for the most part, doesn't manage to be good enough.

Also, one goal, one own-goal, one assist and one red card is not exactly the stuff of legends for a fullback.

However, Rafa is exceeding expectations because frankly the Mags were considered relegation fodder at the start of the season. Newcastle right now is a team with low expectations, owned by a guy already fed up with them and trying to unload them on some sucker.*

So, Yedlin starts because he's in a club with little ambition. Which is the reason why half of their players start: they're surviving, and that's all they really want. With a record of 3w, 4t & 9l, their "defensive unit" is their pride and joy: they've only conceded 22 goals. Manchester United has conceded 26.

Of course, you have to take into account that scoring one of them is usually enough, and the other teams know that.

----
    * https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/12/03/mike-ashley-advanced-talks-sell-newcastle-united/

21. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    I am not sure about the bombing down part. He was mostly jogging instead of running back.

22. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Unfortunately, he also looked like a USL player on the first goal.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  23. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I will be surprised if Rafa is at NUFC 5 more years, but what do I know.

I won't be too surprised if Yedlin in the EPL 5 more years if he wants to be. Whether he's always starting I dunno, but he seems to have reached that point where, barring a serious drop in form or speed, someone will be willing to take a flier on him. He's obviously a hard working pro, no one ever questions his commitment. He doesn't put out stoogies in people's eyes or seem to have a penchant for gambling or drink. He's flashy enough to get fans interested, but not so flashy as to piss off other players too much.

I don't see anything in his actions that suggest absent a drop in form some mid-bottom table club won't take a chance on his wheels every season.

24. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on, this feels like typical yank flagellation on these boards.

A) nobody here knows the expectation at NUFC for rotation on that

B) clearly DY thought he was passing the player off, on replay there appeared to be some type of communication, and with a 5-man backing it’s not unusual to expect Lascelles to pick that man up

25. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't see it. Guy he was going to mark was nowhere near being dangerous compared to what was in front of him. Didn't appear he said much to Lascelles either when he scooted off. Looked bad.

striker repped this.