Guardian of the Galatasaray: DeAndre Roselle Yedlin

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Friedel'sAccent, Aug 13, 2014.

1. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    ACL tears usually impact lateral quickness the most which is critical in soccer, basketball and football. Most guys that successfully come back from an ACL and play at a really high level are in baseball and football on the offensive and defensive lines. Obviously there are some exceptions to the rule.

If he tore a PCL or MCL he'll be out 4-5 months and re-evaluated but it won't have any long term impact other than time missed.

2. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Feels like ACL injuries these days aren't nearly as crippling as they were 10 years ago... at least in some cases I've seen in football/basketball..

KicksNgiggles repped this.
  3. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    I’m hoping it’s MCL. I believe MCL timeline may be closer to 3 months. I thought we had a guy (a Yank not a Newcastle guy) who came back in less than 3 months last season from an MCL injury.

Of course I’m sure any of these can vary based on the severity.

It’s still very surprising we haven’t heard anything.

4. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    well it's certainly turned into an injury you can come back from, but I'm not convinced, at least in basketball and soccer especially, that's it's something most guys can expect to come back from 100%.

if it was a death sentence for a career 10-15 years ago now it's more of a potential and quality of play limiter.

in the NBA I can't really think of a single player that came back from an ACL and continued to either improve or play at the level prior to injury. there are numerous examples in MLB and NFL though.

hopefully Yedlin didn't tear his ACL, that's my opinion. It's still a bad injury.

5. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    fairly rare to completely rupture the MCL or PCL without also doing the ACL. Most MCL and PCL injuries are partial tears that don't require surgery.

really hope for Yedlin's sake he doesn't need surgery and that it's just a sprain, whatever damage is there.

6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Most fans are unhappy with the RB situation. Manquillo is bad, Yedlin is bad, Sterry is bad, etc. But for the Spuds game they were blaming DY for stuff I don't think he should be blamed:

https://www.toonforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9463&start=40

I think if Yedlin's crossing got better he could be an excellent right winger - alas we need him to defend.

Yedlin being injured is a real concern as now we have to rely on Sterry or (shudder) Manquilo.

Negatives are the same old, Yedlin is suspect in defence (yet we will still miss him due to lack of fullback quality and depth), and Perez is an absolute passenger if he’s not scoring.

No big complaints though, we looked decent enough though with the same shortcomings as last season regards Yedlin defensively. Wonder if we can get an emergency loan?

Thought we looked decent. Except Yedlin, absolute liability at the back. Can't mark, Dele Ali must of felt lonely all on his own most of the game.

https://www.toontastic.net/board/topic/38344-rafaels-asian-assault-on-spurs/?page=2

Yedlin shite

Aye very poor from Yedlin. I’m also a bit annoyed with Dubravka there...

Etc.

In short, searching for info on his injury through their forums surprised me: I expected him to be considered by the Mag fans a decent young player, but the near-consensus seems to be that he's a liability and they need to buy a RB.

7. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yedlin's reviews were mixed at the end of last year, generally they really like his speed, but think he's a bit soft in defending, but the majority of the fans went off Maquillo, it seems to me, by winter last season if not earlier.

NUFC fans wanted an upgrade at most positions and were particularly stung that got almost nothing anywhere. The little of Yedlin I saw in that game, he was not great. Not surprised he's getting bad press. But I think you'll find very few who wanted Manquillo over Yedlin. I doubt you'd get many arguing against NUFC signing a "better" RB however, whomever that might be.

8. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Those damned Brits actually expect their fullbacks to occasionally stop a cross. I like Yedlinny, but stopping crosses is not something he is really into.

wixson7 repped this.
  9. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Yelling is very poor defending in tight spaces because his hips are too tight also poor on defending headers because he leaps too late and without regard for getting a body on his man. His strengths are defending the counter, recovery speed, and physicality in the tackle.

So yeah one on one defending is not his thing but I don’t really don’t think there is more than a one or two better top of the box defenders or counter defenders out there.

Cannon on the other hand is a better all around player, not elite in anything other than maybe one v one defending, but good at everything.

I love Yedlin and was horrified to see him go down but I am interested to see Cannon and possibly Lennon step in.

UniversalAdvice and butters59 repped this.
  10. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    This does not seem to be much new, but here you go.

Last line is apropos however... (esp since it supports my take on the situation, which is my main reposting criteria.)

FC Tallavana repped this.
  11. zlebmada

zlebmada Member

United States
    Jan 16, 2018
    Hard to blame them. I don't rate him either. He's the most acceptable option right now for club and country, but that's it. He's probably a fringe PL right back. Never want to see a player injured, and I wish Yedlin all the best, but I agree with @justinpaul10 that it'll be interesting to see Cannon in the spot if he gets the call. I still think Shaq Moore *could* be a better right back than Yedlin in a couple years. And hopefully at least one of Jaylin Lindsey, Manny Perez and Sergino Dest emerges as another option before Qatar. Because long-term we probably do need a better RB than Yedlin for the NT.

12. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    freisland and Winoman repped this.
  14. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's training apparently. Nice! A serious knee injury can be curtains for a speedster. Glad he avoided one.

15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Don't come back too soon.

(meaning, make sure he's healthy first.)

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  16. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree, and I think I would want a second opinion, if I were him.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  17. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Athletes always be like,”what do you mean I’m healthy doctor? I demand a second opinion!”

DHC1 repped this.
  18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The good think about being in Newcastle is that they're not going to buy someone to replace him even if the injury were to take him out for two months.

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    exactly, which is why he'd better be worried they don't bring him back too quickly.

20. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Wow I never expected that. Wonder what the heck he did.

The only concern now is if his replacement outperforms him and he loses his spot.

21. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I coached women’s basketball, which is The Official Sport of ACL Injuries, and nearly every player I knew who had the surgery ended up as good or better within 9-12 months after it.

It seems to affect the career trajectories of soccer players more, which maybe explains why Zlatan ended up with LA rather than a decent MLS retirement club.

Even with soccer, it doesn’t seem that the ACL necessarily gets them, but the subsequent complications. My info is dated by a decade but I had some scary conversations with Americans playing in Europe about the state of sports medicine and athletic training over there.

22. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
  23. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Ask Stu Holden.

Which would explain why many Euro players come to the US for ACL reconstruction.

24. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what this article says, that in sports/positions with a lot of sudden stops and starts and changes of direction like soccer or point guard, an ACL tear is much more serious and more difficult to come back from.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/may/11/acl-injuries-sports-athletes-careers

Winoman repped this.
  25. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a weekend warrior in team sports and a skier, I've had the ACL replacement with the patellar tendon section and was tree skiing in 4 months. A key to that injury was that the meniscus tear that went along with it was repairable; no cartilage loss at all. Never any pain after rehab was over and to this day it's as strong or stronger than the 'good' leg.

And yet in rehab after surgery, I sat next to folk that were in permanent patellar pain (from the dissection) and or joint weakness so it's a matter of who was the surgeon, what residual cartilage damage/loss there is, how you rehab and how your body is made up and heals in general.

So it takes luck to come out as good as you were before the injury.

Winoman repped this.