Guardian of the Galatasaray: DeAndre Roselle Yedlin

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Friedel'sAccent, Aug 13, 2014.

1. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Most of us will never have as much money as the guys from this list got after those bankruptcies. Barry Bonds? Myke Tyson? OJ? Give me a break. I'll gladly exchange my upper middle class income for whatever they have left.

2. jmplautz

jmplautz Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Madison
    You picked the guys who were probably the highest paid players in their sport when they played. Jordan has literally earned a billion+ in endorsements and from playing. Tom Brady's wife was earning more than him per year until recently. Peyton had a father who played professionally to guide him. John Elway is a Stanford grad and had the owner of the Broncos hand holding him through owning car dealerships. Not an apples to oranges comparison to someone like Yedlin.

Watch the 30 for 30 it is very interesting. None of them make excuses. But the pressures are real. When you come from nothing nobody around you has a clue about money management and you have to trust someone to guide you. You become easy pick'n's.

Deeneaus, Gamecock14, FirstStar and 4 others repped this.
  3. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    5 pages of rich guy jealousy?? We need a soccer game to talk about

jjmack, Jazzy Altidore, Deeneaus and 3 others repped this.
  4. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    All very true, but not relevant to Yedlin. Granted his parents are/were a mess, but he was raised by his maternal grandparents in reasonable comfort and plenty of stability, with an uncle who was no more than 13-14 years older than him to take him under his wing. This isn't some kid from the 'hood or a hollow in Appalachia.

Yeah, but the season's over so, to paraphrase Parkinson's Law, off-topic posting will expand to fill the amount of time and pixel space available.;)

USA-Zebuel repped this.
  5. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Member+

Jun 23, 2002
    You've evidently never had the misfortune of owning a 7th gen. Honda Civic. The very nanosecond my "bulletproof" 2001 Civic hit the 100K mark -- and the extended warranty conveniently expired -- every single possible thing began to fall apart. Somewhere in Japan, a boardroom of executives were chuckling to themselves.

Gorky and freisland repped this.
  6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    This was the birth of the civic lesson...

7. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    That Kieran Trippier has been Amazing for England so far in Russia. Their best player (after Kane) IMO.

jjmack and Donny10 repped this.
  9. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you put this in the wrong thread?

10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Nah, just posting if I recall because he was the reason Yedlin didn't get places at Spurs right? Even though he wasn't for no.1 rightback at the club.

Deeneaus and ShaftBrewer repped this.
  11. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, he's a much better player.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  12. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    seems so long ago that I remember him being brought on against Portugal and helping to create the 2nd goal. That performance got him a move to the PL

freisland, ShaftBrewer and Brandinho repped this.
  14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    He hits a better freekick. I'll give you that... (Trippier really came on this year. If Yedlin could come close to undergoing that kind of skill/tactical arc he would be a heck of a player.)

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  15. jjmack

jjmack Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Trippier is a great crosser and obviously good at corners and free kicks. As a Spurs fan, he puts the ball where it needs to be almost every time.

16. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be pleasantly surprised just to see Yedlin progressing to the point of even being an option to take a free kick that could be a shot on goal.

17. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, his shot is surprisingly awful. It's a huge hole in his offensive game.

I'm surprised he hasn't spent more time working on it...

18. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he has? Not going to change much at this point.

19. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he has. He hasn't demonstrated any improvement, if he has been. We've seen his improvement tactically, and his improvement in his crossing. I see no reason why he couldn't improve on his shot too...

20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    fwiw and apropos of nothing kicking mechanics can be improved. Can be hard to break old habits, but at especially for FKs and still ball delivery (where you have time to think and not go into "habit") if you really work on the mechanics you can improve even as a vet.

21. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course kicking mechanics can be improved. How much to make a difference at the highest levels is the question. I suspect he practices pumping untold number of balls in the box which is his main job. But, if he really wants to become a threat scoring, he should work on his left foot. Hard to score from the right flank with a right. But, again, how much is his left going to improve at this point when playing at the highest levels? The game is so fast that if something isn’t completely natural and without thought, it isn’t happening.

22. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He also rarely gets in game opportunities so when it actually happens he’s not relaxed.

23. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Just ask David Beckham. He certainly wasn't born with his ability to bend a ball like crazy.

24. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His ability to bend it like himself was honed in his youth. His training DVD is not bad.

25. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gets a US Soccer RISING video of his own:

jjmack, LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.