Guardian of the Galatasaray: DeAndre Roselle Yedlin

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Friedel'sAccent, Aug 13, 2014.

1. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    You'd think he outran Secretariat to win the Derby. It was a speedy run to disrupt the forward who had a step on his defender. He stuck his foot in on the full run to disrupt the action, well done. Those sort of "saving" plays are not particularly rare. You're making a monument out of an inspired moment.

bballshawn and striker repped this.
  2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Still, I'm stoked to see our right side with The Flash + Boy Wonder.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    where's the rest of the Superfriends?

Suyuntuy repped this.
  4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I had no clue a Super Friends movie was coming out, until I remembered some post by Freddy Adu, then your reply made it click: I went to the IMDb and there it is, coming soon.

Kids. They'll watch anything these days.

5. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stand by my prediction that at some point he'll move to a bigger club and play UCL.

He's got already got the elite threat that would trouble most sides with his pace going forward. Now his delivery had improved. Technically he's improved in his reading/passing. What was always the major question is his defensive ability. It's now gone from not really good enough for the EPL to top 10 for a RB in the EPL and is improving, as I always thought it would.

Hence why during his Sunderland and C'Ship time I kept reminding people Chero, our greatest RB ever was a 2Bundesliger at roughly the same age but over the next few years really learned how to defend. Yedlin was already on his curve, if not slightly ahead but his attributes create a higher ceiling than Chero's did.

Yedlin will go down as our top RB ever. I say this season and next at Newcastle and then at about 25/26 UCL clubs come for him. Perhaps German ones.

For perspective, he'll be better than Trippier, Spurs' current RB. Often forgotten is Trippier didn't get his Spurs move until about 25 and didn't become their preferred starter until 27. RB's have a longer development curve.

6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Justice League old timer. It's Justice League

7. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, you'd be wrong with this conclusion. Yes, such "saving" plays occur every weekend, but the speed of the attacker overtaken by Yedlin is what made it special. The attacker had already beaten and gained on his defender. Yedlin put on his special jets to get his foot in and disrupt the attack. Almost any other defender in the Prem does not succeed in the same circumstances that Yedlin did.

The Irish Rover and Deeneaus repped this.
  8. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    So he won't be one of the 5 best fullbacks on the planet.

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    i'd settle for him being 1 of the top 10 fullbacks in the PL

10. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm, so top five would be what: Andy Robertson, Marcos Alonso, James Milner, Kyle Walker, and Antonio Valencia?

11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Alonso, Walker and Valencia come to mind. Not sure about the rest

12. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He will be by May, if not sooner.

13. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    I don't think that play makes Yedlin "special." It makes him a speedy defender able to make a play where others may not. In the same way there are plenty other Prem defenders who make plays beyond the ability of Yedlin. Does that make all of them "special" players?

striker repped this.
  14. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Yedlin's speed is elite. As in world class speed. That makes him interesting. His offense used to be bad and his defense was marginal. Big Sam's tutelage and Yedlin's hard work his first PL season fixed that.

His crossing and ability to hit a pass has gotten much better. I suppose some could complain about his "technique" but he is fast enough his poor "technique" is not that big a hindrance.

He doesn't have to be fancy, he can blow by 90% of the footballers in the world. The other ten percent he can still hang with.

His technique is not Gyasi Zardes bad and he may be already be close to a top ten PL fullback. A good season here and a good WC and he will be with a big 6 EPL team next season. I thought then and still think Newcastle is going to make a crapton of money off Yedlin.

His technique could cause some problems in Serie A or La Liga, but not in the EPL. They have their share of hacks that are not that far from the traditional USMNT player. Big, strong athletes, that can soccer a bit from time to time, but not particularly technically gifted.

15. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    His biggest problem is still reliability of first touch. It’s gotten better but still probably his worst quality as a player.

russ repped this.
  16. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    It's great to see the steady improvement in Yedlin's game. He's become a very competent PL fullback. That's good for him and the Nats. Yes, his footrace speed is above average for a professional soccer player. I wouldn't agree that his pure speed can be substituted as direct compensation for other technical weaknesses. You don't "blow by" people on the soccer pitch like in a 100 yard dash. I'd be more impressed if, ball at feet, he could blow by 90% of the world's footballers.

17. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    You are just really committed to this aren't you? This statement is ridiculous, like saying an elephant is a little bigger than a horse.

bballshawn repped this.
  18. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Maybe you watch more technical leagues, but in my experience of the EPL, the vast majority of its RBs would have lacked at least one of a) the speed to get back there in time, b) the spatial awareness to angle his run to close off the option of squaring the ball to Yedlin's marker, or c) the discipline to do the unspectacular get-a-slight-touch-on-the-ball instead of diving in.

Exactly. Combine Salah's speed and with his other abilities, there's a better than 95% chance that that move would have led to a Salah goal, an OG, or a PK - with a high probability of a card, possibily a red, being thrown in for good measure.

JWMissoula repped this.
  19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Speed in a defender is a vital quality, since it allows you to correct mistakes (the others' and your own).

Jazzy Altidore and The Irish Rover repped this.
  20. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't you seen the rest of the roster?
    [​IMG]

TxEx, Deeneaus and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  21. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    I don't think there was anything special about the play other than his ability to get there (which was pretty awesome to see him just turn on the jets like he did). The rest was just getting in the way to disrupt the play.

22. JWMissoula

JWMissoula Member

Jun 13, 2015
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I don't want to elevate the mythical status of this one play even further, but, for me, this is the key point. I was watching the play live and quickly concluded that Newcastle was screwed. Salah either has a clear one-on-one shot on goal or (if Yedlin tries to intercept him) an easy pass to the player streaking on the left, who then taps the ball into an open net. Yedlin foiled both options with the angle he took and the timing of his break towards Salah. Perhaps he was just really lucky, but me thinks not.

Everything I have read about Yedlin suggests he works very hard to improve his game. (And the progress is clearly evident.) Combine that with being coached by Rafa for a couple more years, and I agree with the opinion that Yedlin will end up at a UCL-level team.

23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    how much are his wages now? since he signed for the club when they were in the Championship, did he get a respectable boost since they're back in the PL? i imagine all the big stars who stayed as they were relegated must have gotten something similar right?

25. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HartwickFan, Winoman, DeCoverley and 2 others repped this.