Guardian of the Galatasaray: DeAndre Roselle Yedlin

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Friedel'sAccent, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    From everything I have read, they are only seeking depth at FB. Still competition, I guess.

2. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Yedlin might be a breakout player for us this season. Not breakout in terms of youth to breaking thru for a 1st team but rather, making a clear jump in level of play.

My prediction: Newcastle finish top 12-14 and Yedlin is in the discussion of a top 10 RB in the Prem.

3. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To my eye, I'm not sure he isn't already.

I said this before, but Clyne is supposed to be one of the top handful of RBs, and yet he never gets goals or assists. He's better on the ball, I think. But I definitely enjoy the way Yedlin plays more, and I think he's got the upside to be as good or better than Clyne.

ussoccer97531, ChuckMe92 and TxEx repped this.
  4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Exactly how many good or great RBs are there in the PL?

5. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Are we talking pure fullbacks or wingbacks? There are several good wingbacks who aren't fantastic defending and there are several good fullbacks. But combined it's not the deepest position in the EPL by any means.

Yedlin's physical abilities are on par with Kyle Walker's. If he's anything close to that with Newcastle he's going to easily surpass Brooks' American transfer record someday. Athletic attacking RBs are in demand throughout Europe.

6. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't necessarily agree, but I wouldn't argue that. I will say that I don't think that will be record for more than 2 years, so if Yedlin were going to break it, he'd need to do so quickly.

7. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    Yeah, either Pulisic is going to have the record for a bit, he's going to retire at Dortmund, or something with him went horribly, horribly wrong.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  8. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    I'd be shocked if they didn't tbh and not even as a slight against Yedlin. They'll need someone now that Anita is gone for Rafa's squad rotation/depth. If Yedlin gets injured right now they are pretty screwed, plus having an additional RB means that you can do things with Yedlin like sub him in the 70 minute and have him play at the wing. His speed on the wings can be a real asset in the EPL late in games.

The real question is the type of player they bring in will say what they think about him long term.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  9. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hadn't really thought about it before, but now that you guys mention it, you're probably right. The teams with a right back I can say are definitively better than Yedlin are: Man U (Valencia), Man City (they had Zabaleta and Sagna, and will end up signing someone better than them), Chelsea (Dave), Liverpool (Clyne), Arsenal (Bellerin), Tottenham (Walker), Everton (Coleman), West Ham (Zabaleta), Southampton (Cedric), and maybe a couple others?

striker and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  10. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I meant more along the lines of he'll be sold for over 20m which is more than Brooks. Obviously Pulisic is going to shatter it but the EPL has outrageous transfer fees and Yedlin is the age to where if he's close to Walker like ability he'll be sold for a lot of money.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  11. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not so sure anyone who doesn't have an American background thinks Yedlin is close to Kyle Walker like ability. Maybe a select few. I like Yeddy just fine. But I think there are more people that would laugh someone out of a room for saying that than there are that would agree.

striker and superdave repped this.
  12. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    He has a better ability to be available by warding off injury and staying healthy. You might call that luck but to me it's a skill.

I think the book is still unwritten on those two. I watched Walker at Euros last year and at other points for Spurs and he's good but not some revelation who is clearly better than Yedlin. Being an England international doesn't hurt his image in the eyes of EPL fans though and I don't think Yedlin was ever really going to get a shot to be anything other than depth under him in London. In the end it's good that Yedlin went to Newcastle but it would be interesting if he has the better career in the long run than Walker and Spurs regret letting him go. I am sure the thoughts of their career trajectory and their long term prospects have crossed some minds.

DeCoverley, KicksNgiggles and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  13. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    We'll be able to judge that in May 2018

KicksNgiggles repped this.
  14. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't Gamez still there?

15. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

I have my money on Newcastle finishing in the Top 10 this season. Benitez knows how to manage a team in the EPL.

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  16. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some competition...

17. adi21

adi21 Member

The ones that have Americans starting
    United States
    Mar 17, 2001
    Maryland
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yedlin > Javier Manquillo in attack
    Yedln > or = Javier Manquillo on defense .
    Not much to worry

18. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    Honestly I think this is very encouraging. We knew that Newcastle were always going to bring in a RB and Yedlin has much more experience than Manquillo does.

I mean he appeared 20 times for an EPL team that finished dead last. This move would be on par with taking a chance on a young talented championship player.

I think this shows belief in Yedlin if it goes through, while (obviously) making sure that Newcastle has a deep squad.

19. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is depth behind Yedlin, not someone who'll supplant him.

20. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    With this transfer, it seems the RB spot is Yedlin's to loose.

21. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another former Sunderland loanee

eainterplay and Streaky Bacon repped this.
  22. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
  24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In friendly:

Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.
  25. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Does this guy have any connection to Benitez?

Looks like he went through Real Madrid, and also spent some time on with Liverpool. Both clubs where Benitez had also spent time with.