Guardian of the Galatasaray: DeAndre Roselle Yedlin

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Friedel'sAccent, Aug 13, 2014.

1. DeAndresHaircut

DeAndresHaircut Member+

Jul 24, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't it ironic how Sunderland fans talked an abundance of shit about Van Aanholt & Yedlin both while they played and after they departed from the team? Yet both of them will be playing in the Premier League next season while Sunlun watches at home.

ChuckMe92, Gacm32, scholes181818 and 7 others repped this.
  2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Unlike the Mags, I don't see the Black Cats returning to the Premiership any time soon.

ChuckMe92, Gacm32, TxEx and 5 others repped this.
  3. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol

Karma...

Pretty cool for Yedlin. Looking forward to seeing him back in the PL.

4. JWMissoula

JWMissoula Member

Jun 13, 2015
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    FWIW, reports coming out of Newcastle and reported in the Evening Chronicle indicate that the club is targeting a center defender, a central midfielder, a left midfielder, and two strikers in the transfer market. This suggests Rafa is satisfied with his options at right back, which is good news for our man. I am curious to see whether the club re-signs Anita.

ChuckMe92, Gacm32, TxEx and 8 others repped this.
  5. AngelaMerkin

AngelaMerkin Member+

Dec 2, 2005
    have seen all of 3 games this season for Newcastle featuring DY... I'm optimistic about his chances to get a lot of minutes next year and with some quality acquisitions can definitely see Newcastle sticking around for a while in the Prem with the size of their club. Splash the cash and worry about the drop for the next season I say :)

6. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    You need more than 1 good RB.

7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Profile:

https://www.si.com/planet-futbol/20...-tottenham-martins-klinsmann-rafa-benitez-epl

Then, on December 12, he was pulled in the 19th minute against Watford. His confidence crumbled.

“That had never happened to me in my life. It was eye-opening. It was embarrassing. I didn’t understand it,” he said. “I needed to make the best out of [the loan]. I was really trying to figure out, what is my problem? What can I do to better myself? I figured out that mentally, I needed to get stronger. In England, especially, mentally if you’re not strong it can eat you up. There’s the media, all the negativity surrounding footballers. If you’re not mentally strong, it can eat you. I wasn’t sure where to start, so I went on Amazon and typed in books about success.”

He ordered Maximum Achievement by Brian Tracy, a Canadian author, consultant and speaker now based in Southern California.

8. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Which they will get. The type of RB they sign, and the length of the contract, will tell us a lot about how Rafa sees Yedlin. Veteran EPL-level RB, aged 31-33 on a Bosman, for 1 year? Yedlin's the starter and the guy is there as backup. Top-5 club in a top-5 league RB, aged 25-29, for a fee for 3 years? Direct competition. Anita? Direct competition, but Rafa is happy with his options - for next season anyway.

9. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't they also have Gamez?

10. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Guess he wasn't paying attention during the phone book ripping and skillet bending seminar.

12. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Money quote:

Yedlin has been forced to share first-team opportunities with Anita this season — a consequence of Benítez’s rotation policy. The Spaniard is a methodical manager. Last summer, before he signed Isaac Hayden from Arsenal, Benítez spent two hours explaining how he thought Hayden’s game could improve. Yedlin underwent a similar evaluation, and believes it has improve his game.
    “I think he has been good for me,” he said. “I think he’s just made me a more complete player. He’s given me advice on picking better times to go forward, and picking times when to stay back. Obviously positioning, both attacking and defensively, I’m very fortunate to have him as a manager.”

as with the last interview, he comes across as really grounded, and thoughtful.

14. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I hope he doesn't get called up for the Gold Cup. He's got nothing to prove in that tournament, that he wouldn't have already proven in the qualifiers - and he could use the time off to prep for a new season in the Prem.

15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    He is really fortunate to have him as a manager. When you think of some of the old-school footie neanderthals that he could have gotten stuck with in the Champs (not that there aren't other good managers either, btw) if you've got to drop, at least drop down with someone who wants you to play top-tier football. He was lucky.

16. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    It's interesting. At one point in life, I used to watch a crap ton of Prem football week in week out, and it was when Liverpool were at the height of their powers, which was under Rafa.

I looked at his teams under the light of being a Utd fan, and I always thought his sides a bit boring, too conservative, and somewhat lacking tactically - I mean I remember he played Djimi Traore at LB quite a bit, and I'm positive that Traore didn't have a conceptual understanding of the offsides trap.

And then you read what Yedlin had to say about Rafa's ability to teach tactics...and it really makes one question if what you see on TV has any bearing to what's actually taught by these coaches.

17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Well, of course the kid is going to praise his coach. Rule #1: never say anything bad about your boss, even if he's a moron. Never.

Otherwise, Rafa was disliked by fans due to his lack of attacking chops. He was a bit too Spanish for the EPL, where the fans rant about "the lads having a top game" when they ran a lot and kicked it far.

18. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I think for an attacking defender who relies on his speed, Rafa was/is a pretty good a coach (despite Gerrard's dislike), esp under the circumstance, where he could have just as easily ended up with a Paul Jewell or Jon Carver (there's a few Dutch coaches that would have been good for his technical play too as well as plenty of top-tier coaches from any place.) But the risk with a guy with Dre's speed and athleticism is he pushed to just bomb up and down willy-nilly in the hopes of instigating a goal, and with the hopes he'll get back in time to disrupt the counter... and he'd be fine doing that but I don't know if you learn all that much. That's kind of what he knows how to do very well. Rafa's conservative streak and attempt at less, uh, "free flowing" wing play was not a bad thing for DY in my opinion.

19. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth, Winoman and BostonRed repped this.
  21. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vurnon Anita has transferred to Leeds, which should indicate to you who Newcastle's starting rightback will be this season (spoiler: it's Yedlin).

22. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but but but @Suyuntuy said Yedlin was certain to get replaced.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  23. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    He's also hated by Fantasy Premier League fans - that constant rotation stuff is maddening.

24. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Yeah EPL fans can sod off on the Benítez hate. He has one of the best managerial resumes in the world. His bad luck he took over for the beloved Carlo or he'd probably still be at RM. This is Newcastle we are talking about. They are extremely lucky to have him.

ChuckMe92, Dirt McGirt, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  25. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

That's awesome. Who else is left to compete with Yedlin for RB minutes? Are they bringing in additional players at that position?