Guardian of the Galatasaray: DeAndre Roselle Yedlin

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Friedel'sAccent, Aug 13, 2014.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    can you elaborate?

2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  3. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If any team could mess this up it would be Newcastle.

4. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    45 minutes away from promotion

5. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4880 uniteo, Apr 24, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    PNEs Paul Gallagher just gets a hand to a shot by Hayden (NU).

Unfortunately for PNE Gallagher is not their keeper so - red card, penalty converted, Newcastle up 3-1 with a man advantage in the...ooops, make that 4-1...in the 70th minute

Gallagher off to the place where you go

Winoman, freisland and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman, Alexisonfire and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HartwickFan, Winoman and Alexisonfire repped this.
  8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Not in doubt for a second. Preston is terrible away.

I must admit I'm not too optimistic about them keeping DY as their starting RB in the Premiership, though.

I have a feeling they plan to upgrade their whole defensive line.

9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Good for DY and Newcastle. I've been an ardent, lifelong Newcastle supporter every since @Dirt McGirt and I were in the Newcastle Coal Miners and Brewers Subsidized Daycare together.

Winoman, Jazzy Altidore and Dirt McGirt repped this.
  10. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    He might not be a regular starter but Rafa will find Yedlin useful in rotation.

11. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Did I just missed something?

Wasn't DY hailed as the best RB in the Championship a few months ago?

Did his form dropped off that badly?

Alexisonfire repped this.
  12. Alexisonfire

Alexisonfire Member

Jun 30, 2009
    NorCal
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought DY was considered one of the best RBs in the Championship? I dont follow the Championship closely and only follow whats reported here. DY was also solid at Sunderland. I would hope Newcastle gives him a shot to be the starting RB.

13. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @Suyuntuy is an inveterate pessimist and has been predicting that Yedlin will be upgraded in the PL since the beginning of the season.

I am actually afraid he's right, but let's not worry about that now.

Jazzy Altidore, raza_rebel and Gacm32 repped this.
  14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Well, it's logical. A team like Newcastle is going to rely on defensive solidity to try to remain in the Premiership. Their fans know that's their best shot, they don't have what it takes to aspire to anything but avoid relegation. Hence, an upgrade in defense is what is expected.

Winoman repped this.
  15. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best (or near best) RB in the Championship at 23, proven in PL, Dutch international as competition...I think right back will be pretty far down the list of positions at which to upgrade

He just got injured at an inconvenient time and lacked game sharpness at a time when their was not the luxury to let him play himself back in

jmplautz and DeCoverley repped this.
  16. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a stronger rumor than simply your opinion. Note that right back is not included in the supposed wish list. From the Guardian:[QUOTEIt has been agreed that a minimum of six recruits are needed, with a centre-half, a left-back, a holding midfielder, a creative midfielder, a winger and a couple of strikers looming large on the managerial shopping list.][/QUOTE]

Zinkoff, Winoman and Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  17. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    If he's the best (or even near best) right back in the league why on earth does he only have 19 starts from 44 games? Yes a hamstring injury kept him out all of March but he was still just a rotation player before that. I know Rafa likes to rotate but even then his best players don't start anywhere near that few games.

The voting for both TOTY awards happened before his injury and Yedlin didn't get picked as the right back in either of them. The berths went to Bruno Saltor (Brighton) and Tommy Smith (Huddersfield).

If neither Anita or Yedlin could establish themselves as better than the other in Benitez's eyes then really that could go either way: maybe he sees both as good enough to step up, maybe he sees both as expendable/upgradeable.

KicksNgiggles repped this.
  18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    yeah i find it highly suspicious. perhaps he meant to say he's among the best. hell being among top 5-10 in your position in whatever league is quite an honor.

19. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, 'the best' was based on some press speculation right before he was injured, but the argument can plausibly be made from that and some good opta stats

Why 19 starts? Mostly because he transferred late, Aug 24 after preseason, and had to win the job from Vernun Anita, which he did eventually. Anita, btw, has represented the Netherlands at the U15, 17, 19, 20, 21 and full national team levels and is 28 years old...so that's not nothing.

20. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    IIRC, Anita also is not a natural right back.

21. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    I think it would behoove Newcastle to spend money on the weakest parts of their team. That's not RB. If they do bring in another RB it would probably be someone to compete with Yedlin and have them push each other for starts, right?

22. Nastrabrahmus

Nastrabrahmus Member+

Mar 29, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    It just doesn't make sense for them to "upgrade". RB was one of their better positions this year regarding depth.

madvillain repped this.
  23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Having watched Yedlin in the Championshp, I think he was one of the best RBs this season, although he had a couple of bad games.

On the other hand, I don't think he's good enough to be part of a team that aspires to staying in the Premiership. He may be good enough if Newcastle are ok fighting not to get relegated, but if they aspire to slightly more, they will have to upgrade.

I think he's better than Anita though. The Dutch leaves a gaping weakness on his side when he plays, which is compensated by his contribution in attack against weaker rivals --the sort of rivals they won't have again once promoted.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  24. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Context matters.

Yedlin has absolutely been one of, if not the best RB in the Championship this season, 19 starts and all.

25. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunate news from the Guardian.
    Not much detail yet.