Year One: Road to 2022

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Eleven Bravo, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the World Cup 2018 underway, we need to make damn sure we collectively never feel this way again. We need to begin to prepare for the path 2022 today; whereas in 2018, we were still stuck in 2014 even in 2017. Thus, what are the goals and objectives for each year over the next cycle?

+Year One: #1 Rebuild the player bool by retiring the Old Guard and introducing new faces. #2 Prepare for the Gold Cup by identifying core players to lead this team through 2022 and earn spot to Confederations Cup. #3 Implement a team identity and instill hope in this team's future.

+Year Two: #1 Start building a semblance of a cohesive team with a team identity while still expanding and refining the player pool. The net is still wide yet players are going to need to start earning their spots on the team. #2 Prepare for the Copa Americas. #3 Find the team captain.

+Year Three: #1 Win Semi-Final Group. #2 Prepare for the Confederations Cup. #3 Continue to refine the player pool while narrowing the noose.

+Year Four: #1 Win the Hex. Qualify for the World Cup. #2 Prepare the 23 for tournament.

*Note: Did not include youth tournaments, however, this should be considered a priority.

....So far, we have got a head start, thanks to Dave Sarachan. And, while he may not win any fan favorite awards; he should receive nothing but praise for accomplishing the first objective in year one; retiring the Old Guard and introducing new faces. This is what Klinsmann failed to do post-2014 and it lead to us finishing at the bottom of the heap in the Hexagonal - thus, it should not be minimized the importance of how he has launched us towards success in 2022.

Nonetheless, moving forward, what I want to see:
    Projected Player Pool for 2018-2019

GOALKEEPERS:
    +Primary: Zack Steffen. Back-up: Alex Bono. Reserve: Jesse Gonzalez
    -----
    +January Locks: Zack Steffen, Alex Bono, Jesse Gonzalez
    +January Contenders: Matt Turner, Tyler Miller, Sean Johnson
    +Euro Extras: Ethan Horvath, Bill Hamid
    +Monitor: Matt Turner, Tyler Miller, Sean Johnson, Jonathan Klinsmann, Brady Scott
    -------
    +Analysis: Although we want to allow for a wide net; Zack Steffen needs to be playing the majority of the minutes here. He needs to be groomed for the #1 spot, while still allowing room for competition. What we don't want is calling up Guzan or Howard; or I'd argue even Melia - who'll be 36 in 2022, as this would impede the development of our future keepers. Of note, goalkeeper is the position that I am currently the most worried about in the player pool.
    +Measure of Success: if Steffen, or someone else, can make a claim this year they should be trusted as the #1 for the next four years.

RIGHT BACKS:
    +Primary: DeAndre Yedlin. Back-ups: Shaquell Moore, Eric Lichaj* (LB) Reserve: Reggie Cannon
    +Evaluate: Timmy Chandler* (LB)
    ---------
    +January Locks: Reggie Cannon, Brooks Lennon
    +January Contenders: Jakob Nerwinski, Tristan Blackmon, Keegan Rosenberry, Jaylin Lindsey, Kyle Duncan, Andrew Farrell
    +Euro Extras: Matthew Olosunde* (LB)
    +Monitor: Sergino Dest, Desevio Payne, Matt Olosunde, Jaylin Lindsey, Jaylin Lindsey, Kyle Duncan, Marlon Fossey
    -----
    +Analysis: Obviously DeAndre Yedlin is the automatic starter; which its great to have someone to trust on that side - who will be entering his prime years in 2022. However, we should look to offer some minutes to Moore, Lichaj, and Cannon to look at our depth on that side this year. Moreover, the new coach should evaluate Tim Chandler, is he in or is he out?
    +Measure of Success: If we can come out with at least one solid depth pick, who will be age appropriate for 2022, after Yedlin then it'll be a success.

CENTER BACKS:
    +Primary: John Brooks, Matt Miazga. Back-Ups: Cameron Carter-Vickers, Tim Parker, Erik Palmer-Brown, Reserves: Walker Zimmermann, Justen Glad
    +Old Guard: Tim Ream
    ------
    +January Locks: Tim Parker, Walker Zimmermann, Justen Glad
    +January Contenders: Aaron Long, Ike Opara, Auston Trusty, Miles Robinson, Mark McKenzie
    +Euro Extras: Tim Ream
    +Monitor: At this point, a player would need to come out of the woodwork to gain attention, as this is a pretty competitive group, as is.
    --------
    +Analysis: We have a solid cohort with Brooks, Miazga, Carter-Vickers, Parker, Palmer-Brown; also with Glad, Zimmermann who could contend; Ream as an emergency call-up; and Trusty and McKenzie demonstrating they're ready to take their game to the next level.
    +Measure of Success: Integrating the main group as established players in the pool. Which, this should be good enough for a very solid first string and second string.

LEFT BACKS:
    +Primary: Antonee Robinson. Back-Ups/Reserves: Jorge Villafana, Danilo Acosta, Eric Lichaj (RB*)
    +Evaluate: Tim Chandler (RB*)
    ---------
    +January Locks: Danilo Acosta
    +January Contenders: Greg Garza, Mikey Ambrose, Nick Lima, Brandon Vincent, Ryan Hollingshead, Ben Sweat, Matt Real, Marco Farfan
    +Euro Extras: Matthew Olosunde* (RB)
    +Monitor: Matt Real, George Bello, Marco Farfan, Chris Gloster, Sam Vines
    ----------
    +Analysis: Robinson gave us reason to hope; however, he is far from the established player that Yedlin is, and the back-up and reserve options are a lot less promising. Villafana does not inspire any confidence and will most likely be less the player he is today come 2022, however, I'm still willing to hold onto him for the time being. Lichaj will also be old and will be a converted right back. And, who knows what's going on with Chandler. On the flip side, Danilo Acosta has inspired some hope this season, although it took him awhile to get his footing. Thus, while we want to give Robinson a lot of minutes, we need to be experimenting with who is his back-up.
    +Measure of Success: Robinson cements his spot at #1 and we see the rise of a legitimate back-up.

MIDFIELDERS:
    +Primary: Weston McKennie, Tyler Adams, Back-Ups: Darlington Nagbe, Wil Trapp, Reserves: Cristian Roldan, Kellyn Acosta, Keaton Parks, Marky Delgado
    -----------
    +January Locks: Darlington Nagbe, Wil Trapp, Cristian Roldan, Kellyn Acosta, Marky Delgado
    +January Contenders: Jacori Hayes, Sean Davis, Chris Durkin, Wan Kuzain
    +Euro Extras: Kyle Scott, Daniel Williams, Alfredo Morales, Caleb Stanko, Emo Hyndman, Gedion Zelalem, Juan Torres
    +Monitor: Gedion Zelalem, Juan Torres, Kyle Scott, Wan Kuzain, Chris Durkin, Chris Goslin, Cameron Lindley, Djordje Mihailovic, Derrick Jones, Jackson Yeuill, Alexis Mendez
    ---------
    +Analysis: McKennie and Adams are extremely promising youth players. And, we have some decent back-ups in Nagbe, Trap, Roldan, Acosta, and Parks; who are mostly young and look to be able to compete at the international level. There are also a contingent in Europe in Scott, Williams, Morales, Stanko, and Hyndman that could push into the team. At this point, I want to see McKennie and Adams get a lot of minutes together, while introducing a lot of new faces to see who can raise their game.
    +Measure of Success: McKennie-Adams prove to be a force on the international level, and at least 3-4 more show they can also raise their game to be trusted at the international level.

ATTACKERS:
    +Primary: Christian Pulisic, Tim Weah. Back-ups: Paul Arriola, Kenny Saief. Reserves: Joe Corona, Jonathan Amon, Lynden Gooch, Rubio Rubin, Chris Mueller, Tim Tillman
    ----------
    +January Call-up Locks: Paul Arriola, Chris Mueller
    +January Call-up Contenders: Sebastian Lletget, Kelyn Rowe, Ben Mines, Sebastian Saucedo, Anthony Fontana, Andrew Carleton
    +Euro Extras: Kekuta Manneh, Tim Tillman, Luca De la Torre, Taylor Booth
    +Dual-National Hot Youth Prospect: Efrain Alvarez
    +Monitor: Ben Mines, Sebastian Saucedo, Anthony Fontana, Paxton Pomykal, Andrew Carleton, Tim Tillman, Luca De la Torre, Taylor Booth, Efrain Alvarez, Richard Ledezma, Handwalla Bwana, Zyen Jones, Lagos Kunga, Jose Carranza, Nick Taitague, Mukwalle Akale, Jonathan Lewis
    -------------
    +Analysis: Our best player and our prospected #2 best player both play in this attacking role, which should leave fans salivating about their potential. However, Weah is still raw and unproven and it's a barren wasteland after these two. Arriola should get a shot, although he might be serviceable at best, and Saief needs to stay healthy to be trusted. Corona is mediocre, but known talent. The rest of Amon, Gooch, Rubin, Mueller, and Tillman range from pretty raw to extremely raw. Nonetheless, this is the position, aside from forward, where we should see the most experimenting in the line-up.
    +Measure of Success: Pulisic and Weah continue to develop, and Weah enters into Pulisic level discussion. Meanwhile, at least two of the contenders prove to at least be serviceable at the international level.

FORWARDS:
    +Primary/Back-ups: Josh Sargent, Andrija Novakovich, Dom Dwyer, Bobby Wood, Julian Green, Reserves: Aron Johannsson, Gyasi Zardes, Jozy Altidore, CJ Sapong, Romain Gall, Teal Bunbury, Corey Baird
    +Dual National to Chase: Jordan Siebatcheu
    -----------
    +January Locks: Dom Dwyer, Gyasi Zardes, Corey Baird
    +January Contenders: CJ Sapong, Jozy Altidore, Teal Bunbury, Christian Ramirez, Jordan Morris, Juan Agudelo, Brandon Vasquez, Jeremy Ebobisse
    +Euro Extras: Terrence Boyd, McKenzie Gaines, Emmanuel Sabbi, Josh Perez
    +Monitor: Ulysses Lanez, Gianluca Busio, Isaiah Young, Jesus Ferreira, Konrad De la Fuente, Ayo Akinola, Mason Toye, Shaft Brewer, Josh Pynadath, Nebiyou Perry, Brandon Vasquez, Jeremy Ebobisse, Emmanuel Sabbi, Josh Perez, McKenzie Gaines
    --------
    +Analysis: Forward is very bleak at the moment, however, Josh Sargent is perhaps the most exciting forward prospect we've ever had, as far as unproven yet unlimited potential. After him, we need one of Novakovich, Green, or someone else to step up and say they're ready to be international quality. We also need Dwyer to stay fit and in form and he'll be a legitimate contender. Moreover, it's imperative that Wood finds a good club situation and finds his form again, because what happened in 2017-2018 can never happen again. That said, all eyes on Jordan Siebatcheu. So long as he's willing, the new coach needs to pull all the stops to acquire Siebatcheu who looks primed to be a force in Ligue 1 this upcoming season. What's going in our favor is that no matter how good Siebatcheu does, he is competing for a position where no team that I know of has ever boasted so much attacking talent. In short, if the stars align, we could be looking really pretty moving forward in the 2022 cycle or we could fall on our face and be without a legitimate goal scoring threat.... at this point it could go either way.
    +Measure of Success: As previously stated, the stars align... Siebatcheu commits. Sargent becomes a first team player. Wood finds a new club where he starts scoring goals again. Novakovich returns to Reading and scores goals in the Championship with regularity. Dwyer stays fit and in form. Green finds a club and reaches his potential. And, maybe we have at least one outsider make a name for himself.

Gold Cup Projection
    Next up, how the team will take form, for the lead up to the Gold Cup.

23 man Roster:
    (3) GOALKEEPERS: Zack Steffen, Alex Bono, Jesse Gonzalez
    (9) DEFENDERS: DeAndre Yedlin, Shaquell Moore, Antonee Robinson, Danilo Acosta, John Brooks, Matt Miazga, Cameron Carter-Vickers, Erik Palmer-Brown, Tim Parker
    (8) MIDFIELDERS: Weston McKennie, Tyler Adams, Wil Trapp, Keaton Parks, Darlington Nagbe, Christian Pulisic, Tim Weah, Paul Arriola
    (4) FORWARDS: Josh Sargent, Andrija Novakovich, Jordan Siebatcheu, Julian Green

Line-up:

----------------------Sargent----------------------
    -----(Cpt)Pulisic--------------------------Weah-----
    ---------------McKennie---Adams--------------
    -------------------------Trapp----------------------
    Robinson------------------------------------Yedlin
    ---------------Brooks----------Miazga------------
    --------------------------Steffen---------------------

Bench: Bono, Palmer-Brown, Moore, Parks, Nagbe, Arriola, Siebatcheu

Alternates/Also Receive a lot of Minutes in 2018-2019:
    GOALKEEPERS: Bill Hamid
    DEFENDERS: Eric Lichaj, Jorge Villafana, Reggie Cannon, Walker Zimmermann, Justen Glad, Tim Ream
    MIDFIELDERS: Kellyn Acosta, Cristian Roldan, Marky Delgado, Tim Tillman, Kenny Saief, Joe Corona, Jonathan Amon, Lynden Gooch, Rubio Rubin, Chris Mueller
    FORWARDS: Bobby Wood, Dom Dwyer, Gyasi Zardes, Romain Gall, Teal Bunbury, Corey Baird

um_chili, juveeer, Patrick167 and 10 others repped this.
  2. Bluegoose951

Bluegoose951 Member

Jan 10, 2017
    Nice dissertation.

Daniel Knickelbein and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  3. CuriousGeorge.91

None
    United States
    Jun 8, 2018
    We should support our northern neighbors for '22 instead. Canada is improving faster and they're actually fixing their problems while the USSF pretends to make changes while doing nothing.

4. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Whatever happened to Zalalem and Foosey?

5. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zelalem and Fossey both got injured

6. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    They are still injured? It seems their injuries last a lifetime! They showed great potential but as I see it without any playing time they will just ride the bench because of their injuries. Hope I am wrong though.

7. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    Great post.

FWIW, regarding GK--I agree I don't want to see Guzan or Howard in the squad for the next few years (other than a sendoff match for Howard if/when he decides to hang it up), but I think there's a pretty good chance Guzan is our #3 GK in Qatar assuming he's still at least an MLS starter at that point. Thanks to a combination of our failure to qualify this time and an ancient roster in 2014 it's likely that even if everyone's healthy the other 22 players on the squad will have a grand total of 2 World Cups between them (Brooks and Yedlin), including Guzan as the #3 is an easy way to bring some much-needed experience into the squad.

ChuckMe92 and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  8. LeYankee

LeYankee New Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 20, 2017
    That's 24 men on a 23-man roster.

In general, I like it. I'd drop Arriola (I think he's peaked and isn't quite good enough) for Saief and Green (he needs to produce consistently at the club level) for Johannsson (who looks ready to bounce back in a big way). I'd then also drop Acosta to get to 23, since Saief and Adams can provide solid cover at wing back.

I'd also like to see one or two of the young wingers force their way onto the team, and someone step up to replace Trapp and/or Adams.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  9. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, I noticed it too after it was too late this edit. In that group, I’d look to drop Green , at this point.

10. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that’s a good point. Nonetheless, I want to see if we can see who can step up and hopefully make him obsolete.

11. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm cool with running out this backline on repeat for the next year

Robinson-Brooks/CCV-Miazga-Yedlin
    -----------------Steffen-----------------

Lets hope Brooks can stay healthy, because him and Miazga would be GOOD.

juveeer and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  12. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    Agree--don't think he'll be our 3rd best GK, just that it might be worth having him on the roster in 2022 as a locker room guy.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  13. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    Also, Fafa Picault deserves a look IMO--he'll be 31 at the next WC which is probably a bit too old for his style of play at that level, but he's a good option to have over the next 2 years or so.

14. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anything that does not make USSF more money will not be implemented, so good luck with that.

15. CuriousGeorge.91

None
    United States
    Jun 8, 2018
    Like I said, if the USSF doesn't care about soccer then it's not worth supporting it or the national team. Don't give them money.

If Donovan can be a Mexico fan, disgruntled Americans can follow our superior northern neighbors. Canada is improving much faster than the US and you can bet they will qualify for 2022 while the US sits at home again.

16. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Proof?

17. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time.
    The argument reaches its conclusion in three years.

18. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good post, @Eleven Bravo - I like your player pool and agree with your phased approach building toward 2022. I do think it's worth keeping a few veterans from the 2018 cycle around to provide a measuring stick for the younger guys and provide competition as our young players push through and earn spots.

Here's my take on where veteran players of the 2018 cycle (i.e. guys who earned meaningful caps in WCQ and tournaments from 2016-2018) ought to stand:

Core veterans to keep in the squad for 2019-2020:

• DeAndre Yedlin - only 25 and a lock starter at RB
    • John Brooks - only 25 and a lock starter at CB when healthy
    • Matt Miazga - only 23 and a CB to build around
    • Kellyn Acosta - has been up and down, but at 23, he could develop into a quality #8 for us, or a valuable depth piece behind Weston McKennie and Tyler Adams
    • Darlington Nagbe - he's 28 so still in his prime and brings a unique enough skill set as a ball handler
    • Fabian Johnson (if he regains form and is committed to the team) - he'll likely be too old for 2022, but if he regains form, could be worth keeping around for 2019 and 2020 as we build wing or LB depth.
    • Christian Pulisic - obviously.
    • Kenny Saief - one of the few prime-age quality wingers in our pool.
    • Bobby Wood - he's 26 and should remain a regular call up until displaced by a younger guy.
    • Jozy Altidore - probably not a popular choice here, but he'll be 32 at the next World Cup, which isn't too old to be a contributor, and his international scoring rate (41 goals in 110 caps) is unquestioned.
    Veterans to keep in the pool as reserves:
    • Brad Guzan - he'll be too old for 2022, but can provide good competition for our youngsters in 2019 and 2020.
    • Eric Lichaj - Likely too old for 2022, but until we gain more RB depth, he's a solid backup for Yedlin.
    • Matt Besler - I think he's been one of our more consistent and solid players since 2013, and while he'll be too old for 2022, I'd call him up as a backup CB for the next couple years in a heartbeat.
    • Tim Ream - Too old for 2022, but has been in form with his club so could be a useful backup CB in 2019 and 2020.
    • Omar Gonzalez - I like him less than Besler and Ream, but he's an average depth piece at CB for the next couple years if Brooks or Miazga are unavailable.
    • Jorge Villafaña - Use him as a backup LB to Antonee Robinson.
    • Michael Bradley - I'd keep him around the next 1-2 years until he is pushed out by younger players.
    • Danny Williams - Worth calling up as a #6/#8 to push the youngsters.
    • Paul Arriola - I don't think his ceiling is high, but he could be an Alejandro Bedoya 2.0 for us this cycle.
    • Kelyn Rowe - I'm not real high on him as an international player, but he was pretty good at the Gold Cup.
    • Gyasi Zardes - I like him as a forward more than a winger and would call him up as a depth piece as long as he is scoring goals for his club.
    • Dom Dwyer - decent depth piece as a productive MLS forward.
    • Aron Johannsson - I only want him to be called up if he finds a stable club situation and scores goals regularly, but if he does, he's one of the better finishers in our pool
    • Jordan Morris - useful to keep around as a speed option at forward.
    Veterans to put out to pasture:
    • Tim Howard
    • Nick Rimando
    • Tim Chandler
    • Graham Zusi
    • DaMarcus Beasley
    • Geoff Cameron
    • Dax McCarty
    • Alejandro Bedoya
    • Benny Feilhaber
    • Clint Dempsey
    • Chris Wondolowski

TOAzer and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  19. Daniel Knickelbein

Feb 24, 2014
    probably closer to 2.5 years when Canada doesn't make it to the Hex.

um_chili repped this.
  20. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I LOL'd at your post, but for real, I think Canada will have a legit shot to make the Hex in 2020, depending of course on how the semifinal round draws shake out (which has a huge impact on middling CONCACAF teams like Canada). Canada has a pipeline of pretty decent players thanks to its three MLS clubs, and we could be seeing the best Canada squad since the mid-2000s (remember that Canada had a pretty solid CONCACAF team in 2007, making it to the Gold Cup semifinals and giving us a run for our money there).

By contrast, here's a quick take on how the rest of Canada's competition for the Hex looks heading into the 2022 cycle:
    • Mexico - will be in the Hex.
    • USA - will (hopefully) be in the Hex.
    • Costa Rica - will be in the Hex.
    • Honduras - I think they'll be the #3 or #4 team in our region next cycle and they have some good attacking talent heading into their prime.
    • Panama - has a lot of aging vets (look at the average age of their World Cup squad) and I'm not seeing as many young players who are at the same level of quality, so I think they'll drop off a bit.
    • T&T - I think Canada has more raw talent, and there's no reason T&T should outperform Canada this cycle unless the Canucks get another unlucky draw in the semifinals.
    • Jamaica - I think the Reggae Boyz will represent Canada's biggest competition among new teams contending for a spot in the Hex this cycle.
    • El Salvador - They were decent in the 2010 cycle but have dropped off since.
    • Guatemala - they've fallen off a long way since the mid-2000s.
    • Haiti - not enough depth to content for the Hex yet, IMO.
    • Cuba - they're a step or two below Canada in quality.

If I had to project the 6 best teams in CONCACAF and therefore my picks for the Hex, obviously not knowing how things will shake out with the semifinal draws, here are my picks:
    1. Mexico
    2. USA
    3. Costa Rica
    4. Honduras
    5. Canada
    6. Jamaica

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It is difficult to argue with this prediction based on logic and talent however the things that El Salvador, Panama and even Guatemala have going for them is that their home fields are way more intimidating than the likes of Canada and even Jamaica.
    That certainly makes things interesting and hard for me to say these 6 teams will make it for sure. Central American teams at home play like it is life or death gladiator style.

olephill2 and juveeer repped this.
  22. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Nagbe has refused call-ups and broke mentally at T&T. I don't think he needs to be in the pool for 2022 or 2020. He certainly can retain possession with the ball at his feet, but rarely does anything with it in a positive way. The USMNT is probably going to try and press and play high tempo over the next 4 years. Nagbe just doesn't fit that. If you are looking at CM, Delgado moves the ball forward quickly and safely with passing. Green just started playing CM and might be one the best American CMs, at the moment, at turning with guys hanging on him. He also showed some good defensive plays against France. Nagbe on the wing is not goal dangerous enough and would simply clog up that side and let the defense double Pulisic. No reason to play Nagbe over either of those two. There are others like Hayes, Davis, Williams, Hyndman, who could use a look and then younger guys quickly coming through like Ledesma and Carleton.

Bradley is too much of a locker room liability and brings little to the field. Trapp does everything he does and is better at restarts and medium passes. We have too many young CMs to give minutes to Bradley.

Saief, Johannson, and Brooks are almost luxury pieces. They simply can't be counted on. Altidore was in this category and has been relatively healthy and available, so there is hope for these three (Saief and Brooks more than AroJ).

23. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Instead of looking at what old guys to keep around. I think it better to identify the young guys right now that need to play. Because they are the best option and not just because they are younger. Here are the guys that should be getting the bulk of any minutes:

--------?(1)---------?(2)---------Pulisic
    -----Mckennie-----?(3)-------Adams
    Robinson-----Miazga-----?(4)-----Yedlin

If an older player fits one of those question marks, then they can fight for that spot.

(1) Saief - If he can stay healthy
    Weah - Might be his, if he can get PT at club level
    Amon - If he can stay healthy and improves
    Gooch - Kind of get the impression he is not good enough
    Johannsen - If he can stay healthy (would be on the right, Pulisic on the left)

Camp Fodder: Arriola, Manneh, Rubin, Rowe

(2) Altidore - for a few years
    Wood - You know what you get
    Sargent - big year at club ahead
    Novacovich - big year at club ahead
    Siebatcheu - Needs to switch

Camp Fodder: Ramirez, Baird, Wright, Morris, Dwyer

(3) Trapp - Ok place holder
    Williams - injury comeback needed; not for 2022
    Green - needs to continue improving
    Delgado - probably not getting better but pretty good
    K. Acosta - stagnated at a level just below this
    Durkin - Could be his before you know it

Camp Fodder: Roldan, Hayes, Hyndman, JPTorres, Scott, Davis

(4) CCV - needs to continue improving
    EPB - needs a great loan
    Parker - good fill in
    Brooks - needs to stay healthy

Camp Fodder: Zimmerman, Long, Glad, Trusty, Ream

juveeer repped this.
  24. Trevor Fossey

Trevor Fossey Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Fossey suffered a further injury in August 2018, a serious tear of his knee ligament for which he had an operation. He has worked hard to fitness and was back to fitness, and playing, in April. A video was posted on the Fulham FC website re his fight back to fitness. He is a dual national - he is qualifies for England but he is committed to the USA following his experience in 2017 when he played well with the u20 US team in CONCACAF tournament that the US won (he was approached by England as a youth 'standby player' but turned them down).
    Fossey is still only 20 - but is now back! It has been a disappointing two years, he has missed two seasons because of serious injury, but has now recovered - and is ready for action, to play for the US!

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/may/09/marlon-fossey-rehab-video

FormerNo10 and IndividualEleven repped this.
  25. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey do you know him personally? Serious question lol - pretty cool