YAs in England Saturday (R)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by mdfc, Aug 20, 2005.

1. mdfc

mdfc Member

Jul 12, 2004
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McBride for Fulham, Convey twice for Reading, Lewis for Leeds...

Someone may know, but I doubt Americans have ever scored 4 goals in the same day in England, even spanning the entire League.

Congrats guys!

2. mickhayafe

mickhayafe New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    Bakersfield, CA
    Re: Great Day for YA in England (R)

That's what I'm talking about

thanks for the info

3. DCFAN96

DCFAN96 Member

Apr 24, 2004

Whats Convey's doing actually finishing his chances himself? Come Bobby everyone in this board knows you can't finish. :)

Great news, theres nothing better then having a couple of NAT players in good form for our biggest match in qualifying.

4. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004

This gives some credence to the notion that the few Yanks who do get a shot over there are truly better than the scores of Brits who get to play without worrying about work permit issues. At least if this trend continues.

5. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004

I assume you meant Lewis and McBride as Convey got a red card on Wednesday and won't be playing against Mexico.. :(

6. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville

Finishing is confidence, which may be why Convey's been so absolutely horrific at it until now. Good for him! I hope it continues and I can move on to Steve Ralston as my new whipping boy.

7. capitalist

capitalist New Member

Nov 13, 2004

on the flip side, bad news for Brad Friedel :)

8. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not that bad--Rovers still won. :D

9. helmzgk

helmzgk New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    california

The one eyed bandit finally scores two goals in one game?

Is this the beginning of Convey reaching his potential, or are the British mocking us with false reports?

10. capitalist

capitalist New Member

Nov 13, 2004

McBride scored Fulham's only goal this season (2 games).

Next up for Fulham -> Arsenal on Wednesday

11. Bigdog

Bigdog New Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Gone Fishin'

Is he still American ?? :p

12. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Er, that's sort of the whole point of the work permit thing. The people who come are SUPPOSED to be better than the run of the mill players already here.

Frankly, last year Convey was difficult to justify on that criteria.

13. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada

As much as that sucks, he seems to have a really good thing going with Reading and I'd hate for him to lose track of that. He's finally getting his confidence back, an irate Mexican hackfest to end the game might have put a dimmer on things (if we roll them), and to be perfectly honest, I'd just like him to stick with Reading for a while and keep this up. It can only boost his confidence further.

14. Beadling Boy

Beadling Boy Member

Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Some are calling one of Convey's two goals, a 60-70 yard run, an early candidate for goal of the year in the 1st division. Anyone have a link to that goal?

15. LittleMaradona

Feb 25, 2001

I wonder if it is anything like West's 70 yard run? That wasn't too shabby.

16. Beadling Boy

Beadling Boy Member

Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

From one of the Reading web sites (http://www.royals.org/). Titled, "Royals Go Top":

"Reading looked to be struggling until Bobby Convey, fresh from international duty, scored an excellent goal - his first ever for the Royals - against the run of play. Leroy Lita flicked the ball on and Convey went on a determined run from deep inside the Reading half, beating two players, before calmly putting the ball past the advancing keeper and into the far corner of the net. It was an impressive goal from Convey who is already having an excellent season, and it was better when he scored his second not long after. The first goal saw Reading come to life, but the turning point was when the Millwall keeper was sent off for diving to save Lita's shot when well outside his area. It would have been a second goal for Reading and the referee had no choice but to send the goalkeeper on his way. Millwall appeared to have no substitute keeper and, after some shuffling around, Convey took the resulting free kick and stuck it into the side of the net past a confused replacement."

17. mickhayafe

mickhayafe New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    Bakersfield, CA
    I recorded Sky Sports News and WSReport, but neither had the Convey goal. Would have loved to see it.

18. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I haven't heard that. When you say 'SOME are...', Who, exactly?

I thought I heard it called the 'goal of the day' on 'Goals on Sunday' on Sky (Fox) Sports. Is that what you're thinking of?

19. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

ApooOnu?

20. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu

Courtsey of wjarrettc over on Yanks Abroad, who we should all rep for putting up the clips and posting the links (go here -- https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5893439&postcount=220 to rep him):

http://home.earthlink.net/~mollyacampbell/reading.wmv
    http://home.earthlink.net/~maxscampbell/reading.wmv
    http://home.earthlink.net/~lizbcampbell/reading.wmv

All three links are to the same clip, so pick one at random, to help him spread his bandwidtch around.

21. mickhayafe

mickhayafe New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    Bakersfield, CA

Thanks for the link, this is my first time using web torrents, I watched the highlights, convey rocked, even though the camera angle on the free kick sucked. the highlights are between 30min and 33 min [​IMG]

22. kingcalcio

kingcalcio New Member

Aug 13, 2000
    Nutmeg State
    To appreciate Convey's great first goal, and actually see the second, forget the torrents and go to:

http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/sub/MatchHighlights/0,,10306~29665,00.html

All Convey-doubters, for their penance, must pay the fee, watch Bobby muscle the first challenger off the ball, flick past the second challenger while still off balance, and--completing a 70-yard run with a third challenger closing in--finish past the advancing goalie like an EPL star.

Then they can watch Bobby hit the post on one great free kick, and curl the ball low around the wall on another for the goal that makes it 2-0 Reading, before being subbed to a standing ovation from the home crowd in the 59th minute.

This is all after being dangerous from the left flank all day for the USA at The Rents on Wednesday, picking up the assist on a great run and a clinical cross to Brian at the goal mouth in the game's only goal.

Maybe you can see now why Bruce has kept Bobby around. It's not charity. It's how to invest in players over time in order to build a depth chart worthy of a #6 FIFA ranking. Not all Bruce's investments will work out, of course. But right now, Bobby Convey is a buy, not a hold or sell.

23. Beadling Boy

Beadling Boy Member

Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes, Andy. Goal of the Day. My mistake.

Very impressive goal, nonetheless.

BB