Yanks on Foreign YNTs

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Dec 29, 2008.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps, but that's a lot to pass up (and backup GKs get medals, too) for a January camp appearance.

2. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was a fan of Mexico when I first started watching soccer. All you ever see in Hispanic neighborhoods are promotional posters for El Tri. I think he was raised that way.

3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He's not a starter (or at least competing for the #1 job) because the coach is bad. The starter should be the 3rd keeper. Gonzalez and Gudino should be competing for the #1 spot. Either way, whatever country he plays for, he's going to have at least one good keeper to compete with. With Mexico, thats Gudino. With the USA, thats Horvath, possibly Steffen (depending where his game is at).

I'd prefer him to play for us because I wouldn't mind having another talented young keeper in the program, but he's not really gaining much in terms of PT and visibility by switching to the USA right now.

4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  5. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Should we start a new version of this thread too? This one's more than 50 pages, and many of of the players we've discussed are aging out of YNTs. People could certainly still use this one for older guys through the Olympics.

tippco333 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  6. Danny Woodhead

Jul 12, 2015
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Cape Cod Crusaders
    FWIW, at the beginning of the FC Dallas telecast John Strong and Alexi Lalas said that they spoke to Jesse Gonzalez and Gonzalez essentially refuted Grant Wahl's report, and said he was totally committed to Mexico. Although if you heard Lalas talk about it, you got the sense that he didn't necessarily believe what Gonzalez was saying.

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Gonzalez, it should be noted, appears to have lost his starting spot with FC Dallas to Chris Seitz.
    And as far as I know, he hasn't signed a new contract with the club. I do wonder if Jesse will be leaving for a Mexican club team in the near future, a la Richard Sanchez. Surely they're interested....................

8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The guy who accepted an invitation to the US January camp is 100% committed to Mexico. Got it.

9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I think we can all understand what happened there.
    Gonzalez was putting pressure on Mexico to call him up to their U23s. It worked.
    And obviously, he wants to stay there now. So he's going to say that he was always 100% committed to Mexico.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    To me, that would make no sense.

1. He's already established at FCD. Even if he's lost his spot, he's not necessarily far off that starting spot.
    2. MLS (USA) has a much better track record of producing keepers than LigaMX (Mexico).
    3. LigaMX is stingier with selling players to Europe, and I assume thats where he eventually wants to play.
    4. If the Grant Wahl report is to be believed, wouldn't he want to distance himself further from Mexican football?
    5. LigaMX is notorious about not giving young keepers a fair shot. i.e. Richard Sanchez who can't even make the bench at Tigres.

11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    It might depend on what salary FCD is willing to offer versus what a Liga MX club can offer.
    FCD has recently re-signed a bunch of their "core pieces" including Castillo, Diaz, Acosta, Ulloa, etc. Hedges singed a long-term deal in 2014. They also just re-upped Akindele. How much salary cap space would they be willing to fill up on Gonzalez if indeed he's now the #2 keeper behind Seitz? Spending 200k on a backup keeper ain't good cap management. Chris Seitz, by the way, just signed a new contract with FCD. I don't know how long its for, though.

FCD also has plenty of young keepers in the pipeline being Gonzalez [Two of whom have also been called up by Mexico. Avilez and Mercado. Hale and Abonce have been called up by the USYNTs]. Losing Sanchez wasn't a loss, and losing Gonzalez wouldn't be much of a loss either all things considered. I'm an FCD fan, and thus also a Gonzalez fan, but he's also a little "over-hyped" right now. He was terrible down in Houston for the 5-0 loss, he was replaced by Seitz, and FCD hasn't lost a game since. He's still got a lot of developing to do.

One might also recall that FCD used its first round pick this year on a keeper. Herman out of UW, who they like. A "behind the scenes" video of draft day indicated they were maneuvering to try to get Tarbell out of Clemson. So getting a keeper was top priority for them. Why? Interesting.................

eneste repped this.
  12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's hard to figure out from this translation, but it looks like the Mexican U15s are at the Tournament delle Nazioni in Italy and that they tied Austria 3-3 in Austria today.

Already in the second half, the Mexican team made the first adjustments and the Austrians took the field more offensive than in the first half game, a situation that would be reflected in the 40th, when the swishing scored penalty in favor of Europeans, however, a big save by Hector Holguin, Santos Laguna, prevented the fall of its frame.

Mexico started with Michael Barragan, Orlando Botello, Jair Correa, Emmanuel Haro, Ivan Hernandez, Hipólito Holguin, Pablo Lopez, Javier Medina, Ariel Ortega, Rodrigo Reyes and Aziel Torres.

http://miseleccion.mx/la-seleccion-nacional-mexico-sub-15-debuto-empate-torneo-gradisca/

Here's the Austrian confirmation:
    http://sportpark-klagenfurt.at/en/general/13th-tournament-delle-nazioni-24-april-2016-2/

I knew part of the tournament was played across the border in Slovenia, but wasn't aware Austria was in the mix. Only makes it slightly confusing.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico's U15s lost today to Japan 2-1.

Alineación México Sub-15:

1 Héctor Hipólito Holguín Pérez; 2 Michael Barragán García (14 César Mendoza Pineda); 3 Rodrigo Reyes Orozco; 4 Juan Pablo López Martínez; 6 Emmanuel Haro Gastelum; 7 Diego Medina Vázquez (20 César Espinoza Gaona); 8 Kevin Ortega Mercado (16 Andrés Tellez Licerio); 9 Iván Hernández Bañuelos (19Sebastián Martínez Vidrio); 10 Leonardo Correa Moreno (17 Luis Martínez Armas,); 11 Orlando Botello Linares (18 Lorenzo López Rodríguez); 13 Juan Antonio Ruiz Espinoza. DT. Juan Carlos Ortega

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Maitreya repped this.
  15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Romero, Herrera and Lara were named to the MEX U20 squad that will play the MLS HG team during the all-star festivities. (Did I miss anyone?)

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  17. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Herivaux & Etienne start:

Tom Collingsworth and USvsIRELAND repped this.
  19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth and USvsIRELAND repped this.
  20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Another American player who got a cup of coffee with the Nigerian Olympic squad this summer, a '96 from Georgia:

After a successful sophomore season and a great summer in the Professional Development League (PDL), a coach of [Rashid] Alarape’s gave him the opportunity of a lifetime.

A chance to train with the Olympic Nigerian National team.
    http://georgiastatesignal.com/georgia-state-soccer-player-gets-olympic-experience/

http://www.georgiastatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=12700&ATCLID=209532872

BostonRed repped this.
  22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since he's a 1996, he doesn't qualify for the newer thread, but figured I would put this in here for safe keeping:

Former FC Dallas Academy player and University of New Mexico midfielder Patrick Khouri

It should also be noted that in 2015, he represented Jamaica's U23 National team earning two caps in the CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying Tournament, where he represented Jamaica against Haiti and Santo Domingo.

http://ussocceracrossthepond.blogspot.com/2017/04/transfer-university-of-new-mexico.html?spref=tw

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  23. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. BostonRed