Yanks on Foreign YNTs

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Dec 29, 2008.

1. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I know a day will come when I will be extremely pissed when an American GK born, raised, and trained in the US will be playing for Mexico in a big match and we lose because of it.:mad:

2. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Blame our talent evaluators

3. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Huh? They were all apart of our Youth system in the US. How do we blame 'our' talent evaluators when they were all in MLS youth academies.

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Are we going to argue that US soccer hasn't been calling up enough FCD players? I don't think so. They just called up Ben Hale to the US U19s. So there's already an FCD keeper in the US program. Avilez has been called up to US youth teams in the past. Most recent camp in January of 2015? Something like that.

Its a tough balance. We want US youth teams to cast a wide net. I imagine that we don't want them to just keep calling up the same players to avoid losing them to other nations. Particularly if they're not "can't miss" type of prospects. Pulisic and Miazga? Yes, keep calling them up until they're cap-tied. Carlos Avilez? Really?

Like Jesse Gonalez, these kids love both countries. They're in a tough spot.

BostonRed repped this.
  5. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who would've known that Pulisic and Miazga were as good as they are? At some point, Mexico is gonna take a few players away from us that we're gonna regret losing.

mike4066 repped this.
  6. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    The only point I'm arguing is that we're losing players to Mexico because we didn't know they were good. Nothing could be further from the truth.

7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Here's my opinion. IMO, this should be evaluated on a case by case basis.

Keepers:

Sanchez-He started out with Mexico at an early age, and its hard to know whether he's even developed. I think its hard to be mad about this, as of now.
    Gonzalez-Clear mistake made. Despite Horvath and Steffen, we still missed on Gonzalez. There were caps to be had for him.
    Herrera-He has some potential, but I have him behind at least 4 or 5 other keepers for this upcoming U-20 cycle. I could be wrong, but not a huge loss, IMO.
    Romero-I don't believe he was good enough to make the US team, and still don't. His questionable allegations of racism don't help his case.
    Avilez-Admittedly, I've yet to watch him play, but we have plenty of FCD experts on this board and I follow US/MLS youth soccer myself, I don't get the inclination he's a can't miss player. Could be another Gonzalez situation though.
    Mercado-Same situation for Avilez.

Field Players:

Gutierrez-Seems like he got called up by both and just chose Mexico. Not much to blame us for here.
    Lara-I have it on good authority that Richie Williams ran him out of our program. I've been told he wanted to play for the USA, but Mexico read the situation well and reacted. He's a terrific prospect, LB too, this is the situation that I think USSF should be blamed for the most.
    Carrillo-Same situation as Avilez and Mercado.
    Adame-There might've been a mistake here. Seems pretty good, I think its too early to know for sure.
    Reyes-Similar situation to Adame.

Did I miss anyone?

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Just so we're all clear on Gonzalez, nobody who saw him as a U18 would have thought he was USYNT/USMNT material. In fact, there are some FCD "insider" types who admit they thought he was "terrible" as a youngster. I saw him a couple of times, and didn't think much of him at all.

I don't know how "clear" of a mistake that was on the part of US youth talent evaluators. My memory is hazy, but I don't think Jesse was called up to the Mexico U17s, unlike Richard Sanchez and others. So in his case it basically became a "first come, first serve" scenario at the U20 level when he developed seemingly out of nowhere. [From my vantage point. FCD coaches must have seen something.] If we'd gotten there first, I bet he'd have joined the US. But we had a group of keepers we were happy with.

I imagine that projecting youth goalkeepers is a pretty tough game. We have sooooooooooooo many good keepers that never appeared for youth national teams. Its a "late developing" position. We just had David Bingham capped by the USMNT. I don't think he played for any US youth teams.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Yeah, I'm not doubting your assessment, but its not like Gonzalez was off the radar, Mexico assessed his potential (not current ability at that time) better than we did. I'm sure they could've had any number of random Liga MX academy keepers on their YNT's, but they chose Gonzalez, probably because they thought there was potential there.

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I wonder if Mexican youth national teams are now just calling up Dallas players because they're at Dallas.
    Particularly at the goalkeeper position............................

I'm sure they've done some scouting of Carlos Avilez, but how much? Ben Hale is the starter for the U18s, and both Abonce and Mercado have started more games at the U16 DA level this season. If the USSF site is to be believed, Carlos Avilez has played in a total of 8 games this academy season (5 with the U16s and 3 with the U18s).

Would the US U18s or U19s call up a backup goalkeeper at the academy level? Doubtful.....................................
    This is Mexico just casting a wide net.

Pl@ymaker and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    T&T calls in a U20 squad:

The overseas-based players who have been called include Joshua Burnett (Players Development Academy, USA), Jerren Nixon Jnr (Philadelphia Union, USA), Chaz Burnett (Players Development Academy, USA), Morgan Bruce (Stevanage Borough, England), ex-T&T Under 17 player Anthony Herbert (based in the USA) and Noah Powder (New York Red Bulls, USA).

http://www.socawarriors.net/mens-u2...-called-for-u-20-training.html?fb_ref=Default

I couldn't find anything about Herbert. The others are confirmed Yanks.

12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I remember the Burnett's and Powder being pretty highly regarded prospects.

13. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Powder has been starting for NYRB II in the USL, although he does not have a professional contract.

14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico calls in U20 squad:

# Nombre de jugador Equipo Posición Fecha de Nacimiento

1 Álvarez Velázquez Edson Omar América Defensa 24 de octubre de 1997
    2 Antuna Romero Carlos Uriel Santos Medio 21 de agosto de 1997
    3 Cervantes Martín del Campo Alan Jhosué Guadalajara Medio 17 de enero de 1998
    4 Goulart Da Rosa Pedro Augusto Puebla Delantero 29 de agosto de 1997
    5 Córdova Reyes Francisco Sebastián América Medio 12 de junio de 1997
    6 Cortes Padilla Diego Guadalajara Defensa 18 de junio de 1998
    7 Esquivel Martínez José Joaquín Mineros-Zacatecas Defensa 7 de enero de 1998
    8 González Delfín Fernando América Delantero 9 de septiembre de 1997
    9 Herrera Cristian Pachuca Portero 20 de abril de 1997
    10 Ibarra de la Rosa Javier Eduardo Monterrey Medio 6 de febrero de 1998
    11 Lara Herrera Kevin Raúl Santos Medio 18 de abril de 1998
    12 López Martínez Pablo César Pachuca Medio 7 de enero de 1998
    13 Magaña Araujo Kevin Uriel Guadalajara Delantero 1 de febrero de 1998
    14 Mascorro López Héctor Alejandro Pachuca Medio 25 de febrero de 1998
    15 Mayorga Almaraz Manuel Alejandro Guadalajara Defensa 25 de mayo de 1997
    16 Romero Abraham Isaí Pachuca Portero 18 de febrero de 1998
    17 Vázquez Vélez Brayton Atlas Defensa 5 de mayo de 1998
    18 Torres Méndez Ulises América Defensa 17 de febrero de 1998
    19 Venegas Moreno Francisco Eduardo Pachuca Defensa 16 de Julio de 1998
    20 Zamudio Godínez Claudio Monarcas Delantero 30 de marzo de 1998

http://miseleccion.mx/inicio-concentracion-la-seleccion-nacional-de-mexico-sub-20-3/

Tom Collingsworth and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hector Holguin joins the list of dual Mexican-American goalkeepers called in for Mexico.

The U15s:

# Nombre Club Posición Fecha de Nacimiento

1 Martinez Vidrio Sebastián Guadalajara Medio 6 de enero de 2001
    2 Barragán García Michael Atlas Defensa 22 de marzo de 2002
    3 Botello Linares Orlando Monarcas Delantero 6 de agosto de 2001
    4 Correa Moreno Leonardo Jair Atlas Delantero 8 de enero de 2002
    5 Correa Tovar Oliver Monarcas Delantero 16 de febrero de 2002
    6 Delgado Covarrubias Arturo Tigres Portero 18 de febrero de 2002
    7 Reyes Orozco Rodrigo Guadalajara Delantero 1 de febrero de 2001
    8 Espinoza Gaona César Arturo Tigres Delantero 23 de enero de 2002
    9 Espitia González Juan Carlos América Defensa 30 de enero de 2002
    10 Garcia Rivas Jorge Luis Cruz Azul Defensa 22 de enero de 2002
    11 Haro Gastelum Emmanuel Tijuana Medio 10 de agosto de 2001
    12 Hernández Bañuelos Iván Picudos de Manzanillo Delantero 25 de enero de 2001
    13 Holguín Pérez Héctor Hipólito Santos Portero 24 de abril de 2001
    14 López Martínez Juan Pablo Tigres Defensa 22 de febrero de 2002
    15 López Rodriguez Lorenzo Antonio Tigres Medio 17 de marzo de 2002
    16 Martinez Armas Luis Carlos Atlas Delantero 1 de junio de 2002
    17 Mascorro López Johan Pachuca Medio 2 de abril de 2002
    18 Medina Vázquez Diego Javier Santos Medio 12 de marzo de 2001
    19 Mendoza Pineda César Eduardo Tigres Defensa 15 de febrero de 2002
    20 Ortega Mercado Kevin Ariel Pachuca Medio 4 de enero de 2002
    21 Palacios Alejo Emiliano de Jesús Tigres Medio 13 de marzo de 2002
    22 Ramos Báez Michael Eliud Guadalajara Medio 5 de enero de 2002
    23 Rey Godina Juan Javier Santos Portero 13 de marzo de 2002
    24 Ruiz Espinoza Juan Antonio Guadalajara Medio 27 de marzo de 2002
    25 Téllez Licerio Andrés Sebastián Santos Delantero 9 de marzo de 2002
    26 Torres Hernández Aziel América Defensa 9 de abril de 2002

http://miseleccion.mx/arranco-concentracion-la-seleccion-nacional-de-mexico-sub-15/

Tom Collingsworth and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Have they called up less than 10 Mex-Am goalies for their YNT's in the past two years?

17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Its probably 7-8..................

Richard Sanchez, Jesse Gonzalez, Christian Herrera, Carlos Avilez, Abraham Romero, Hector Holguin, Mercado, etc. Who am I missing? That's 5 from the State of Texas alone.

We've talked a little bit about Hector Holguin. He's another kid from El Paso.
    I wonder what the closest first division soccer team is to El Paso.
    It could easily be Santos. I don't think its Dallas or Houston. El Paso is closer to California than it is to Dallas.

18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Grant Wahl:

Jesse Gonzalez: Mexico or USA?

The U.S. men’s national team has a legitimate goalkeeper concern for the first time in years, and there’s an ongoing question over the national team future of 20-year-old FC Dallas goalkeeper Jesse González. He’s eligible for both Mexico and the U.S., and he was set to come into the U.S. January camp until he got cold feet at the last second and pulled out.

I’m told that González wants to play for the U.S. but feels like he’d be betraying his family if he didn’t play for Mexico. He has played for Mexican youth teams but is not yet cap-tied. Keep following this story as the year moves forward.

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/201...eilhaber-sporting-kansas-city-jesse-rodriguez

19. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    “Most Promising Young Player in Finland” signs for QPR, is U.S. born

We don’t write a ton about QPR U-21 players signing their professional deals, but this particular prospect has an American connection.

Born in Florida, Niko Hamalainen was part of the FC Dallas set-up before moving to Europe to try his hand abroad. That’s obviously worked, as the 19-year-old has a new deal with QPR.

Hamalainen has represented Finland 12 times at the U-18 level, but is not cap-tied to the Scandinavian side. He was named the Most Promising Young Player in Finland by the country’s FA in 2015.

He made two appearances on loan to Dagenham and Redbridge of League Two this season. Digging through his Twitter, he travels back to the U.S. on occasion and it’s fair to guess he could be on the radar of U.S. Soccer.

Bolivianfuego and BostonRed repped this.
  21. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Why else would someone play for a country the weren't born and raised in, given a realistic choice between them?

22. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't doubt that's what his excuse is but it is dumb because he is missing out. He could've played with the USMNT in January and that would've increased his value and attracted some interest from overseas. I don't see how representing the USA would really harm his relationship with his family.

mike4066 repped this.
  23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's got a shot at being in the Olympics with Mexico. Considering he would have to file a one-time switch to join the US and then have no real youth opportunities, he's better off sticking with Mexico for now. It's not like he's gonna jump up the pecking order at 20.

24. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is not a starter for Mexico's U23s and will probably not ever be called up again after the Olympics. I think Klinsmann would've started him over Bingham, if he was available for selection.

25. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    I think something that's being over looked is that the first time he made this decision he was quite young. I won't get deep into the psychology of the youth, but I'll say two things you will find in most kids is they love winning, and they having something about them that's interesting. It's very likely as a soccer player he rathered be Mexican because historically Mexico is good at soccer. My best friend was born and raised in America to a Peruvian dad, and a mom who had German citizenship only through her grandmother. As kids he would tell everyone in the world he was German when we talked about soccer. It wasn't until we were like juniors in highschool he would support USA, and felt truly American. Before that it was almost cool to him to poop on the team.

I think as you get older you get way more great fun for what surrounds you.