Yanks on Foreign YNTs (1997 and later)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Apr 15, 2016.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Maurice Malone called up to the German U-17's.

There is now a '98, '99 and '00 German-American playing for the German U-17, U-18 and U-19 YNT's.

Can Rongen get some of them to switch to the the USA?

sakibomb523 and Overachiever repped this.
  3. Danny Woodhead

Jul 12, 2015
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Cape Cod Crusaders
    Whether or not Rongen gets anyone to switch, I completely trust him to talk to them and do his due diligence. Really, that's all we can ask for.

After the Arena hire, this was an area of concern for me. I don't want to portray Rongen as some dual-nat-whisperer/savior, but I do think it was a wise and necessary appointment.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #129 BostonRed, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Danny Woodhead

Jul 12, 2015
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Cape Cod Crusaders
    I'm admittedly ignorant regarding the depth of Mexico's youth teams, and I know he's young as a '99, but is it at all surprising that Lara hasn't been called into their U-20's lately?

7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Not surprising. They don't usually call in many younger players to their youth teams. Maybe if he gets some first team appearances, he could get a U-20 call up.

I've read he's playing well with Pachuca and might get a first team appearance soon.

Danny Woodhead repped this.
  8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Justin McMaster has been called into camp with the US U18s, but had a past with Jamaica:

CONCACAF Under-15 Championships

Jamaica 4, Grenada 0

GOALS: Peter Campbell 37’, 38; Stephen Malcolm 63’; Justin McMaster 66’

http://www.concacaf.com/article/group-b-match-recaps

He also scored in U17 CFU qualifying, so he is likely provisionally tied to Jamaica:

Jamaica Quick Facts

• 12th appearance in CU17 finals
    • Best CU17 Finish: Final Round Group Winner – 1 (1999)
    • Qualification Method: Caribbean – Runner-up
    • Qualification Record: GP – 7; W – 6; D – 0; L – 1; GF – 37; GA – 7
    • Qualifying Scorers: Nicholas Nelson (10); Donovan Dawkins (8); Alex Marshall (7); Justin McMaster (4); Deshan Beckford, Tajea Brown, Ajeanie Talbott (2); Fabian Grant, Peter Vassell (1)
    http://www.concacaf.com/article/cu17-preview-february-27-2015

9. Athlone

Athlone Member+

Feb 2, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    I can confirm that McMaster is provisionally tied. He has not been involved in the Jamaican setup for a while, however (he was not called into the most recent U20 side back in the summer). He has attended multiple USA camps in that time span, so I have questioned whether or not he is now committed to the USA. I was told about a year ago by some in the know that he was definitely committed to Jamaica and ready for any call from the island, but we'll see if that still holds up. It seems doubtful he makes a one-time switch at this point given the fact that he'd be guaranteed no progression to the senior USMNT, so time will tell what he does down the road.

BostonRed repped this.
  10. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    That's another point in the pro column for the U18 and U19 setup. It will keep these kids connected without the need to make a switch. I really do like it.

11. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Indeed. These guys don't really have a chance to switch for two years, and if they aren't in either country's U20 mix now than there's almost no reason not to test the waters. These programs give them an opportunity.

12. Athlone

Athlone Member+

Feb 2, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica

You guys are 100% on point, and I honestly envy this aspect of your program. This advantage is especially enhanced by the fact that the other countries these kids are considering do not have U-18 and U-19 squads to transition players between the U-17 and U-20 levels. That's a big gap for the USA to exploit. Even if a kid like McMaster were to be Jamaica-or-bust, the fact is that Jamaica has no team for him to play for right now - our U-20s are eliminated and we simply don't run U-19 and U-18 sides. He'd just be sitting around waiting with us, but the Americans can at least keep kids like him occupied. Tremendous advantage.

I hope I live to see the day we can afford a U-18/U-19 side.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    We've only had the U-19 program for like a year anyway.

14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Three Yanks called into camp for T&T's U20s:

http://www.concacaf.com/article/tt-u20s-heading-to-colombia-for-camp-matches

ROSTER

GOALKEEPERS: Dejourn Charles (Carapichaima East), Montel Joseph (Boreham Wood FC—England), Jadel Poon-Lewis (Franklin Pierce University/USA), Denzil Smith (DirecTV W Connection)

DEFENDERS: Simeon Bailey (Barataria South), Kori Cupid (Presentation College, San Fernando), Isaiah Garcia (DirecTV W Connection), Kierron Mason (Marabella Crisis), Coby McGregor (Cedar Stars Academy/USA), Noah Powder (no club), Taryk Sampson (Ma Pau Stars), Kyle Thomas (San Juan Jabloteh)

MIDFIELDERS: Morgan Bruce-de-Rouche (no club), Marc Gangia (Odense/Denmark), Jesse Joseph (San Juan Jabloteh), Micah Lansiquot (St Ann’s Rangers), Stephan Marcano (Fatima College), Jabari Mitchell (DirecTV W Connection), Justin Sadoo (Point Fortin Civic), Shane Sandy (Ma Pau Stars), Joshua Sitney (Malta Carib Alcons)

FORWARDS: Joshua Leach (Police FC), Taofik Lucas-Walker (D.C. United/USA), Rushawn Murphy (St. Ann’s Rangers), Kathon St. Hillaire (St Ann’s Rangers), Josh Toussaint (St Ann’s Rangers)

Powder had recently been with RedBulls II, but shows without a club.

15. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Overachiever, Pl@ymaker and BostonRed repped this.
  16. ShadowMoses2

ShadowMoses2 Member

Aug 24, 2015
    Austin, Tx
    Does he mean with the Galaxy 02's or Mexican 02's?

17. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Mexico

18. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It really sucks that we're gonna continue to lose players like this to Mexico until soccer is bigger in the USA.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  19. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    True. Though -- when soccer was smaller in the USA, we didn't have players like this to lose!

KUSA77, mike4066, ChuckMe92 and 2 others repped this.
  20. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Check out @NatsAbroad's Tweet:
    827271560209723393 is not a valid tweet id

Pl@ymaker and Overachiever repped this.
  21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Zavaleta should do it. I like him as a player, but a USMNT call isn't going to come for him as a CB. Too much depth across age groups.

I'm not quite sure why Perez or Moreno would accept the callup right now to El Salvador.

mike4066 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  22. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    You gotta ask!

Has he stopped asking about Flores?

23. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    That birdie is getting very close to flying away. Right now he is looking like Bruce's top candidate for left back. If he kills it this evening against Jamaica then it's a given that he'll be called up for a cap-tying event.

24. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sure they are talking about Junior Flores

ShadowMoses2 repped this.
  25. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Who? Just kidding. That was major confusion on my part. Flores has really fallen low if he can't get mentioned by ES.