Yanks on Foreign YNTs (1997 and later)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Apr 15, 2016.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I have my own opinion about the ability of both players. Zlatan isn’t dictating my opinion.

It didn’t make sense to me, and I was curious why he claimed Alvarez was the best young talent in the league, but never mentioned Araujo. There are two Mexican-American kids in the same team and both are very good. Why did one get all the praise from the legend?

2. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    it seems pretty obvious that a guy like zlatan is more excited about goals and assists than defenders who like getting stuck in first and foremost while still being adept at playing out of the back

3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  4. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018

Jonny Perez, Jonathan Gomez and Adrian Gonzalez (Jonathan's brother) were called to Mexico U16

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I hate to see the kid not succeed, but he was never all that good of a player to begin with, so he can't be called a bust, and he does still have plenty of time to turn into a Mexican NT player.

This was one of the strangest overreactions I've ever seen from US Soccer fans. He played half a season in the league's best team and was anointed by the league as best XI. His performances were very basic. He did nothing that impressive. The media hype was out of control for such average performances and average talent.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Thankfully, someday it will be commonplace for teenaged American players to get named to the Best XIs of competitive leagues after half a season, and we'll all know better!

7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think it should be more formulaic than the league undeservedly hypes up one of the only young players in the league that gets regular minutes with a big accolade, a player who the local National Team is also recruiting to play for them.

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I can see it both ways. I can see a player that had instigated in international tug of war for his allegiance, so there was a big microscope on him. Everybody in Mexico wanted him to be great, especially after he chose to switch.

And let's not forget that he was on a team that won a Liga MX Apertura title and a CONCACAF Champions League. When you're on a successful team you're even more likely to get the accolades. He was actually named the "Best young player" of both Liga MX and the CONCACAF Champions League.

Then again, I'm not going to be so quick to bury him. He's still only 20. He's played a hell of a lot more career games, and has done so at a higher level, than guys like Durkin and Servania. Just my opinion. So yes, he'd have been on our 2019 U20 World Cup team. Yes, I think he'd have a good chance of making our U23 CONCACAF team. Yes, he'd be on the radar for our USMNT.

But no, he doesn't look like he's the 2nd coming of Sergio Busquets.
    It doesn't look like he's the kind of "difference maker" that we should be upset about losing. He's good. No more. No less.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I have no idea what you are saying here but, in any case, rest assured that my post was not to be taken seriously.

10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Matko Miljevic starts for Argentina U18s:

11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TarHeels17 and TheFalseNine repped this.
  12. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This is about Jonathan Perez (‘03). It sounds like he’d much prefer the Mexican program. It’s not preferable because he probably is good enough to make the ‘03 age group on a consistent basis, but you can’t keep every dual-national in the system. If it’s a non-elite guy like Perez, it’s hard to make too much of it.

Pl@ymaker and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  14. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. It may seem like over-psychoanalysis but it seems obvious which country/program he prefers. Solely based on his IG photos, you would have never known he was a USYNT player. Gets his first Mexico call-up and he immediately makes him in a Mexico kit his main photo. There are other Mexican-Americans who have played for both YNTs who proudly show photos of playing for both countries, but not Perez.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I also think timing plays a part. When fans are worried about Araujo, Dest, Gomez defecting to other programs, worrying about Perez is too much. There's not enough time in the day for that.

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Oh just Dest talking about playing for Holland. Squeeky bum time.

17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    This one irks me. Jonathan is a kid the USYNTs should have put on the "must not lose" list. I understand that part of the issue has been the turnover on the U17 staff, and Wicky by default had to go with the status quo for the qualifying roster. He didn't know the pool. But he and his team have been in the job long enough now to know that Jonathan Gomez is one of the elite U17 fullbacks in the country.

Tom Collingsworth and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  18. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on my possibly uninformed psychoanalysis of social media, Gomez is still very much in the air. He's posted IG photos of him with the US before and in fact has yet to post a photo of him with Mexico. IG profile pic is him in a North Texas kit and his Twitter profile pic is still him in a US kit. Essentially all of the FCD youth players who've been with Mexico before at some point (Pepi, Hinojosa, Rayo) show equal or more pride for playing for the US on their social media. Not the case for Perez, who has always presented himself as only an LAG youth player (despite multiple US camps), and now presents himself as an LAG/MX player like Efrain Alvarez does.

Tom Collingsworth and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Gomez was liking replies from fans to a tweet he had that were pro Mexican National and pro USMNT. I don’t think this is a case of a player who is clearly now going to play for Mexico, but that doesn’t mean that USSF can take this situation for granted. I agree with @Clint Eastwood. Gomez has to be on the list of Mexican-Americans we cannot lose to the Mexican program. If Armour or Tolkin’s U-17 caps have to dry up because of it, that has to happen. That’s before you consider whether he’s better than those players, and I’m struggling to understand why he’s not.

Mexico often does a bad job of identifying good Mexican-Americans early on. They almost always call these kids into their youth national teams once it’s known that the player is very good. I can’t think of a situation where they spotted an unknown Mexican-American, called them into their youth teams and then it was found out later on that the player was very good. Mexico now has Gomez in their camp, and I suspect he’ll be invited to a lot more of their camps. USSF no longer has the benefit of Mexico’s poor talent ID of Mexican-Americans to fall back on here. They now have to win a recruiting battle.

Tom Collingsworth and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #1070 Clint Eastwood, Aug 5, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    You are exactly right. There's a really long list of dual-nationals at FCD that have accepted both Mexico and US callups. I don't think there's any question that these players love both countries. They fully think of themselves as Mexican-American. Both. So to some degree its "first come, first serve." And until they actually need to make a cap-tying decision, they seem to go to every camp they're invited to regardless of nation. As we know, FCD seems fully on board with their players exploring international opportunities. To the point that they released essentially their entire midfield to international camps at the same time in the early summer (Pomykal, Cerrillo, and Servania to the U20 World Cup, Grueso to Copa America, Acosta to Gold Cup, dearly departed Aranguiz to the Toulon tournament.)

There's nothing that says to me that Gomez won't go back to accepting USYNT callups if he gets invited. Like Carrera just did. Mexico is calling him up to "expanding the net" U16 camps.......not U17.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    1159934963715858432 is not a valid tweet id

23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Appears to be provisionally cap-tied.

24. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #1075 Clint Eastwood, Aug 16, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    Speaking of Chile...........

Let me pre-empt a little of the panic here. We are producing high quality players out of academies of domestic develop programs. Many of them are dual nationals. We should EXPECT other nations to kick the tires on these youngsters. The act of another nation contacting a player shouldn't surprise us or make us nervous. All we can and should do routinely is let these elite youngsters know that they're in our plans and we're committed to them.

Soto it actually eligible for three countries. His father is Chilean. His mother is Mexican. He was born in the US.

Comments from the player are the same as every other player in his position makes. Not closing any doors.

"I haven't been put in a position yet to where I have to make a decision with the senior national team," Soto told ESPN FC in May. "That's kind of where we're at, that I haven't had to make a decision yet."