Yanks on Foreign YNTs (1997 and later)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Apr 15, 2016.

1. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the official Mexico U15 release. Alcala is on the roster, as well as '04 LAFC academy keeper Donovan Palomares. Alcala was born 10/20/05, so he's a fairly late '05.

http://lafc.ussoccerda.com/sam/teams/index.php?team=3945180&player=257977387

Good news is that Alcala is joining up with the US id2 team later this month.

BostonRed and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, why not judge these players based on their individual accomplishments? Alcala trained with Man City. There's always rumors of Serie A sides going after Alvarez. I don't think they're missing anything.

3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A new post in YAA says that Idan Cohen of Israel was born in the US (he did go to college here).

http://www.goccusports.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/idan_cohen_1046443.html

Cohen, a 5’-11” defender, was a member of the U-16 through U-19 Israeli National Teams and has recently been added to the U-21 National Team...Scored an international goal against Portugal.

He is provisionally cap-tied by appearing in UEFA U17 qualifying:

http://www.uefa.com/under19/season=2015/teams/player=250056100/index.html

4. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ChuckMe92, ckajMonet and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    A) He appears to be a 96 so, American or not, he's too old for a YNT, at least ones that the US plays.

B) It doesn't appear he matriculated to Coastal Carolina. He's not listed on their roster for 2017, didn't play in any games (per their official stats) and his transfermarkt page has him playing games in Israel last fall, which would have been in the middle of the college season.

6. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    This thread seems to be crying out for some kind of spreadsheet -- would be interesting to look back at something that authoritatively tracks players by number and timing of foreign callups, official appearances, etc. Lots of people get cups of coffee and then disappear; others get much more. Anyone interested?

8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't mind Avilez continuing to get YNT call ups for Mexico. Its a high level team, and he likely isn't good enough to play for us this cycle. Gonzalez switched over, so if Avilez game ever develops, we can try to convince him to switch.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Anyone?

Here's a draft of what something like this could look like. We'd just add columns for each calendar month and pages for each calendar year.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hcGB-omjoXuQqSGOdkr5OXILClBVsNTyiyHK60Lg2fU/edit?usp=sharing

Would be happy to open this up for shared editing. @BostonRed maybe?

(This could maybe also be used to track MNT callups, though we could make a separate one for that purpose. It's not that much action really.)

11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Avilez sign with a Mexican team soon a la Richard Sanchez. He's in a bizarre space with FCD as he's on a USL contract, but doesn't play for the USL team. The first team has three keepers. So he's basically just training with the first team and playing in academy games. He'll probably start for FCD at the Dallas Cup I guess.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    That seems to be the qualifying roster for the next round of the UEFA U19s. If there was any possibility of TT appearing for our U20s this cycle, an appearance at this stage would seem to lock the door.

As I've said before, I'm not surprised -- there didn't seem to be much reason for him to switch at this point unless it really seemed like the door was closed with Germany or, of course, he really wanted to.

The one thing we can probably offer right now is a quicker path to the MNT.

I've added both guys to my work-in-progress FYNT tracker. If anyone wants access, let me know. (Please don't just ping the Google Doc -- I need to know who you are.)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hcGB-omjoXuQqSGOdkr5OXILClBVsNTyiyHK60Lg2fU/edit?usp=sharing

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  14. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ussoccer97531 repped this.
  15. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    German squads
    U16s-Malik Tilman, Christopher Scott (rumored German-American)
    U18-Maurice Malone
    U19-Timothy Tilman,
    U20-Sidney Friede

Lennard Maloney on the U19 on call list.

16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Thanks. I'm trying to figure out how to clearly mark guys who are called up by us before them, vs. them before us, and in some cases move back and forth, without making a mess...

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  17. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Color coded?

18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brandon Austin called up for the England U19s:

20. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    So he's one we'd presumably lose for this cycle if he plays.

21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't think its matters all that much. I think we have a lot of good keepers between Scott, Garces, Lopez, Muse, etc.

I doubt he was even going to get many call ups, anyway.

Pl@ymaker and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  22. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Always interesting to see which country-hopping youth players get the fans riled up, and which don't, and for what reasons.

Gamecock14 and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  23. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For what it's worth, Austin isn't officially part of the squad for England U19s; he's just traveling and training with them for this trip. This according to our friends on the England BigSoccer forum.

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  24. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    ChuckMe92 repped this.
  25. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    @mike4066 The quotes had nothing to do with each other.