Yanks on Foreign YNTs (1997 and later)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Apr 15, 2016.

1. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on an interview of him, it appears he was born in Tampa and moved to Colombia when he was about 5, and joined Atletico Nacional at 6.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  3. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    The Welsh are very aggressive with their dual nationals. See Woodburn and Ampadu, amongst others, for example

4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This is very interesting. I know nothing about this kid, but Wales is relatively good, so calling him up might be indication that he's pretty good. And I'm sure there are tons of kids in the USA with Welsh heritage, so they could've called in tons of players, they picked this kid.

We are starting to have a lot of these dual-nationals, and a number of them are kids that grew up in the USA. I think its because we are starting to produce better players, but we gotta be careful there. There are tons of kids in the USA who could get access to an Irish, Scottish, maybe English passport. Dual-nats from the British Isles might become like dual-nat Mexican-Americans.

5. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    There is no Scottish or English passport. Or indeed Welsh or Northern Irish.

However, there is an Irish passport.

6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Thats interesting, so how does it work with those UK countries? You gotta have direct access to citizenship, can't acquire a passport through a grandparent (like Pulisic did)?

Then there would probably be less, if thats the case, but there's a large enough UK presence in the USA that I wouldn't be surprised if some kids eventually start getting called up to those youth NT's.

7. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Look up the Home Nations Agreement - It's a little convoluted.

Citizenship is a bit complicated but, essentially, can't get it through grandparents. Though it can depend on where parents were born if they acquired it through descent. It's a mess.

8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For England? Nope. They are convinced, at least on the men's side, that they have plenty of talent, so looking to players outside the EPL/EFL academies will be rare. They barely look at homegrown talent playing elsewhere for the full NT.

Scotland, Wales & N. Ireland will look elsewhere if someone pops up, but they don't seem to put a lot of effort into scouting, especially outside UEFA.

9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Yeah, I meant more likely Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland. Their talent pools are much lesser than England's and even ours, along with Ireland, but thats a different subject.

And of course, we are probably only talking about top level talents here. I don't think they'll call in any random kid from the DA (although this kid Wales called in does seem to be that), but if there was a star with that ethnic background, I would not be surprised if they approached that player to play for them, regardless of them not playing in a European academy. If Palmer-Brown or Carleton or Sargent or Reyna (bad example, I know, but you get the point) or any of these kids could play for Scotland, I'm sure they'd call them in. I remember a few years back Scotland wanted McBean to play for them. His career hasn't turned out as well as some initially thought, but thats the type of situation I was thinking about, and it should be monitored.

10. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maurice Malone is on Germany's final U17 World Cup squad, a laudable achievement, and I would argue a good thing for the US since he was already provisionally cap-tied. Still a long, long way to go to the DFB senior team.

ussoccer97531 and BostonRed repped this.
  11. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As others have said, I doubt that any of the British nations are heavily scouting for dual nationals outside. I would be surprised if the story isn't that somebody (dad, uncle, family friend, whatever) with connections to the Welsh FA put in a word on his behalf.

12. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  13. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's the first "Non-resident Indian" (NRI) to represent India:

https://www.scoopwhoop.com/usabased...lay-for-indias-u17-world-cup-team/#.pmce9gcfj

India's pretty tough on dual nationality, so he may never be a US passport holder.

ussoccer97531 and Balerion repped this.
  15. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BostonRed and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    It turns out that the Google search...

"player details" USA site:http://www.worldfootball.com/
    ... yields what appear to be American birthplaces for a substantial number of Americans playing YNT (and MNT) ball for other countries, mostly very small nations.

17. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Timothy Tillman is on Germany's U19 Euro qualifiers squad. Assuming he plays, he'll be provisionally cap-tied. The US still has a good chance at him eventually, but it may not be for a fair while.

Also of note, another '99 YA, Lennard Maloney of Union Berlin, is one of the standby players.

https://www.dfb.de/u-19-junioren/team-und-trainer/?no_cache=1

BostonRed repped this.
  18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ChuckMe92 repped this.
  20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    BostonRed repped this.
  21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starts in the first match against Ghana:

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Its worth mentioning that Jesus Ferreira IS NOT on the Colombia U17 World Cup team............................

I was a little worried about that.

24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #499 BostonRed, Oct 7, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  25. BostonRed