Yanks on Foreign YNTs (1997 and later)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    This far out, would seem like a reasonable use of a post-U20 program, much like if U.S. Soccer called in a bunch of college guys or still-green young pros at the same stage.

2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Not a big deal, he's not that good. Could play a role as a fringe player for us, but thats not the type of player we need to keep in our player pool.

3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    According to @bshredder Zendejas didn't need to file a one-time switch to go to this camp anyway.

Shrug. Mexico is starting Olympic preparations early by building up some depth and scouting guys. What are we doing? Squadoosh as far as I can tell.

Sandon Mibut and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    El Salvador scouting in DC for U17s and U20s:

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  5. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #455 ChuckMe92, Sep 4, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    Three '01 Yanks have been called up to Mexico U16.

FCD defender Julian Hinojosa. He was last with the US U16s in October of last year, when he was on the bench for a tournament in France but did not make any appearances. He has been a fairly regular Mexico U16 callup since then.

FCD forward Gibran Rayo, who has never been called to US youth teams. Was called up to Mexico U16 last March.

LA Galaxy (apparently just moved from Real Salt Lake AZ) forward Eduardo Blancas, who has had a few camp appearances with the US U16s, the last time in March. Don't think he ever made an impact.

The good news for the US here is that the names above have been fringe prospects, at best, for the US. There are at least four '01 Mexican-Americans who come to my mind -- Uly Llanez, Julian Araujo, Leonardo Sepulveda, Azriel Gonzalez -- who are significantly more highly rated prospects than the names above. Llanez and Gonzalez have debuted in USL, Sepulveda captains the US U16s, Araujo has joined Barca's AZ academy. But only one of them (Llanez) has ever accepted a Mexico callup, and he has now chosen the US. If Mexico is offering callups to fringe US prospects, they may very well have offered them to superior US prospects, but were turned down.

SUDano, Pl@ymaker, Starman* and 3 others repped this.
  6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Those were the two teams that I made sure to watch at the LigaMX U-16 tournament. All three played well at that tournament, not surprised they were called in now.

Don't think any of the three are much of a loss to our program. I think all three are good players at the DA level, but more like fringe players for our YNT, I don't consider any of the three to be standouts or even close to it.

Pl@ymaker and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  7. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hector Holguin in that U16 squad is also American.

Pl@ymaker, ChuckMe92 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup. Also from Texas. El Paso/Ciudad Juarez area if my memory serves me correctly. I have no idea, actually, if he's also an American citizen. Sometimes with kids in that particular area its not so clear.

I have no clue how good he.

9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Pl@ymaker and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two Atlanta United players have been named to the Honduras squad for the U17 WC:

https://www.atlutd.com/post/2017/09...prospects-named-honduras-u-17-world-cup-squad

Defender Alexander Bahr and midfielder Alessandro Castro have officially been named in the Honduras squad for the FIFA U-17 World Cup that kicks off in October.

Bahr most recently featured for the U-15/16 Atlanta United squad, while Castro played in midfield for the national championship-winning U-17 side last season. Bahr is from Flowery Branch, Georgia and Castro is from Lilburn, Georgia – both have eligibility to play for the U.S. National team in the future. Both players featured for Honduras in the U-17 CONCACAF Championship earlier this year when the team secured one of the four World Cup bids from North and Central America.

Tactical Hipster repped this.
  13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Castro is good, he should've waited, he might've gotten some youth call up soon enough.

14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An article on Alex Zendejas' eventual move to Mexico. Sounds like they are going to take the move to a one-time switch slowly.

http://www.msn.com/es-mx/deportes/f...zendejas-de-estados-unidos/ar-AArQe0f?ocid=st (in Spanish)

Tri will try to 'steal' Alejandro Zendejas from the United States

Denis Te Kloese, director of national teams, for now will not ask FIFA to change the Federation of the player. The movement will handle it in case it fills the eye of Chima Ruiz ahead of next year's Central American Games in Barranquilla, Colombia.

"We will not hurt him in changing the Federation if after some calls somebody wins the place, he has to prove his level and in case the coaching staff asks for it we will begin to do the proceedings before FIFA," Te Kloese told Meditiempo .

The change of Federation would not mean much problem for Mexico, because although it already played with the United States, the fact that the player already had Mexican nationality makes the process easier.

This change must be before Zendejas turns 21
    [Ed. note -- Incorrect.]

Tactical Hipster and Overachiever repped this.
  15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    This is an odd one for me.......................................

The FMF scouts must see something there that we don't. This is a squad rotation player in a mid-table team in the Mexican 2nd division. And they have Te Kloese talking about him?

Tactical Hipster repped this.
  16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Someone asked?

And saying "We don't want to file for the switch until we're ready to call him up" seems like a polite way of saying "We don't want to call him up at the moment."

17. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    So what's the latest on Edwin Lara and El Tri? Has he been called up to the latest camps involving 99s in Mexico?

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    No, he wasn't.

19. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    If I were Rongen/Ramos/Arena, I would be putting the heavy sales push on this kid.

Of course, it might help if the US had an actual U23 coach on board to sell his vision of where Lara might fit on an Olympic team!

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Completely agree, I think he'll switch back eventually.

21. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #472 ChuckMe92, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    A couple more El Tri youth squads we forgot to post.

Along with Zendejas' call to the U21s, there was also GK Abraham Romero and winger/CAM Ivan Gutierrez.

GK Carlos Avilez of OKC Energy was called up again to Mexico U18s, their '99 age group. Based on photos from their Twitter account, he's started all of their matches in this camp, which means he's a good bet to be the #1 for their 2019 U20 cycle. It would mark the fourth U20 cycle in a row that a U.S. Soccer Development Academy product is Mexico's #1 keeper -- Richard Sanchez, Jesse Gonzalez, Abraham Romero previously. Not sure what's up with Mexico's GK development, as Avilez was a fringe USYNT player at best. The US currently has '99 keepers who have traveled with the senior teams of FC Cologne and Tottenham Hotspur, and another starting in USL. Avilez isn't playing in USL.

The good news for the US is that '99 Edwin Lara is not on this roster for whatever reason. Who knows whether he is thinking of switching back or if he simply wants to focus on his club career at Pachuca, but he is missing.

Mario Balotelli and Starman* repped this.
  22. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BostonRed repped this.
  23. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Do we know his interest in playing for the USA in the future? Does he has any connection to to the USA or was he born here and moved like two weeks later?