Yanks on Foreign NTs [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Sep 4, 2012.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    United States
    The only way to represent Guam is to be a US citizen since that is the only national citizenship they have. The players must also have a connection to Guam under FIFA rules -- born there, parents/grandparents born there or lived on Guam continuously for at least two years.

When Guam competes, they fly their own flag and have their own hymn.

mike4066 repped this.
  2. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    United States
    okay I was wondering about that because when Guam played Iran in the WC last year, people were making a big deal about the Star Spangled Banner playing in Tehran, but I guess they have their own anthem then.

3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    United States
    A bit on Justin Meram and the Iraqi national team:

http://www.espnfc.us/club/columbus-...sc-despite-pain-of-not-answering-iraq-call-up

"I feel the weight of millions of Iraqis, wanting for me to play," he said. "That's tough, and I love my country and love how much the fans support me wherever I go, whether I'm playing in MLS -- Iraqis come out to every [MLS] stadium basically with flags and are cheering -- or if I'm in Iran or Saudi Arabia, wherever it may be. But I don't have any regrets because this was a decision I thought long and hard about, and I had to make ultimately the decision that was best for myself and my family.

I had no regrets on my decision, and it isn't a permanent thing. We'll see in the near future how it all unfolds."

4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    United States
    Jesse Gonzalez for Mexico's Gold Cup squad?:

5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    United States
    Jesse Gonzalez still leaning Mexico:

http://sbisoccer.com/2017/04/still-...sse-gonzalez-feels-more-mexican-than-american

Speaking to AS, Gonzalez said he views himself as Mexican and hopes to someday represent El Tri on the senior level. Gonzalez was born in North Carolina and raised in Texas but has played for Mexico as a youth international.

“I feel more Mexican [than American]. My whole family is Mexican and I am proud to be Mexican,” he told AS. “Of course I would play with the Mexican team and hopefully I get the chance.”

6. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    United States
    It's almost like he doesn't realize he can be both.....

7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    United States
  8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club: