Yanks-Abroad on USMNT Roster vs Mexico?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by braun, Apr 11, 2003.

1. braun

braun Red Card

Feb 22, 2001
    metro Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sanneh has a spinal ailment; O'Brien, Cherundolo, Berhalter, Barrett, Vanney, Keller and Friedel may still have matches left to keep them out of the roster vs Mexico.
    Does anyone know?

I assume that some or all of them will be available vs Wales.
    Maybe we'll see Casey and Gibbs trotted out?

2. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    hopefully we'll see some new blood,,i dunno but after watching columbus in tv and in person i think martino needs some solid playing time

3. Tecos

Tecos Member+

Apr 8, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    Tecos UA de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The game will be played on a day that fifa sets aside for international games, so technically, all the players abroad should be free to come. The question is whether Bruce calls them to play.

4. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    i doubt he calls in any of the YA for the game.

you will probably see an all mls squad.

---------howard---------
    frankie-pope-boca-convey
    ----------pablo----------
    earnie------------beasley
    ---------martino---------
    ----mcbride-donovan----

5. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Let's not overlook the fact that Mexico (in all seriousness) is probably the best team that we have faced to date (as we got a lesser than A list for Argentina).

I would like to see the same "depth" tested. Convey at LB in a real game. Boca and Pope in the center. Dolo/Hejdude on the right. In MF: (JOB if he wants to again) if not Martino, Mastro, DMPee and Olsen/Klien
    UP top: Mathis and Donovan

On the bench: Buddle, McBride, Hejdude/Dolo, Olsen/Klien.

6. lasoccervegas2002

Jul 7, 2002
    this planet
    Martino's style of play is similar to Argentinian player, explosive and very skillful, we should give him more playing time in international level so to put him in the absence of O' Brien will be a good idea.

7. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And if we lose, we can say it's because we played our "B" team. :)

8. Melloblkmon

Melloblkmon Member

Sep 11, 2000
    At Home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with Fiddy,

Nothing to lose in a match aganist Mexico, not much to gain anymore either. We need to move on to bigger and better.

That said I always enjoy the Mexico US Cup games but we need to freshen up our friendly schedule with some European squads like Turkey, England, Bulgaria, etc...

It always seems to be the same sides at US Cup.

9. Melloblkmon

Melloblkmon Member

Sep 11, 2000
    At Home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, what Nancy said!!!

10. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    _______________Howard

___Barrett___Pope____Bocanegra___Hejduk

______________Mastroeni

_____Olsen_________________Beasley
    ______________Donovan

_________Wolff__________Buddle

McBride has played non-stop for a year practically, time to give him a break. If Wolff is healthy, I'd like to see him start, he also plays good against Mexico.

Subs I'd like to see for sure: Klein, Martino, Convey; and possibly see if Mathis is up to snuff again. Oh yeah, maybe Armas too.

I'm not sure on either of the outside backs, but if it is an international soccer weekend, I'd like to see Barrett in there against Mexico.

11. braun

braun Red Card

Feb 22, 2001
    metro Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YA won't be hassled for Mexico match

Despite the fact that it is an international FIFA friendly day, Friedel & Keller will not have finished their seasons and a trip to Houston is too inconvenient! Barrett plays in a country where I believe the season begins rather late compared to the rest of Europe and goes on longer. Therefore, Barrett won't be in Houston. Cherundolo, same comments. Berhalter, he might come over for the Wales match and camp. O'Brien, I don't think will be available for this next one, but likely vs Wales. Lewis, could be useful, and might be on the roster vs Wales.
    So, MLS-based squad vs Mexico and Mixed YA-MLS squad vs Wales, me thinks.