Yanks Abroad Moderating discussion

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by matabala, Dec 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    Mod note: Discussion pulled from this thread:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=87225&perpage=15&pagenumber=5

I apologize for butting in here but I don't think Metrogo has gone over the line. I'm somewhat surprised to see you, as moderator, feel the need to caution him. You wouldn't be playing favorites, would you?

2. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's simple. Attack the post, not the poster.

Now go back and read the posts and give us a report on the difference.

Or perphaps find a different topic?

P.S. Boca is moderately fast for a central defender.

3. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    It's very simple, attack the poster in a passive aggressive way, and it's ok. Say something mildly disagreeable, but directly, and get cautioned. That's how it goes, Mata.

4. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    To add to the simplicity,
    Attack a post in an aggressive way only to have the poster take personal offense, and it's ok.
    Say something mildly disagreeable about some other poster, but directly, and get cautioned.
    Comment way off topic and get your posts moved to a new thread.
    That's how it goes.

5. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Applause for moderator.

I didn't comb through the posts to figure out who was to blame, but I'd suggest bailing on any two-person Pee Wee Hermanesque discussion that starts to overwhelm the thread. Just a suggestion.

6. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    How about attack nothing?

The only thing you should dispute is fact.

When you post in certain forums, sometimes you have to put things in perspective. I am not speaking for everybody. I am speaking for myself but I some people might feel the same way I do.
    When I visit yanks abroad forum, I am mainly interested in facts. Facts about a player's career progress, matches played, and who is going where. I am moderately interested in rumors and speculations. Discussions about who fits in what team is mildly okay. Anything else is waste of my time. Arguing can be fun for you, but not necessarily fun for those who are reading it.

I wonder who would click on yanks abroad forum to read debates? They either have too much time on their hands or they need help.

If someone has opinion or a piece of analysis that you don't agree with. Just let it go. How hard is that?

7. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    moderators are a stupidface

I'm acutally surprised none of the old timers posted this little gem! :D

Sachin

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    So hows your sabbatical going? :p

9. jeffmefun

jeffmefun Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Quakeland, CA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DK, etc. -
    My only suggestion (for any board, really) is that ad hominem attacks be carded. Call someone an idiot, moron, anything derogatory, and you get a card. Period.
    Thanks.

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    idiot.

11. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An ad hominem (Latin: "against the man" - and they said I was wasting my time in that class just because all the hot Catholic girls were in it - guess I've showed THEM, eh?) argument is one in which you essentially dismiss a given position because of who expresses it, without examining it's merits.

So if Mike Segroves says: "McBride is a hopelessly gimpy spazz", then I can say "Well, everybody knows you hate McBride, so your opinion is meaningless on this subject", THAT is an ad hominem argument.

It does not seek to examine the relative merits of whether McBride is, in fact, a spazz, but rather focuses on the bias of that snivelling little rat faced git, Mike Segroves.

But when Andy Mead says that jeffmefun is an "idiot" that is a statement of his opinion that you are, well, an idiot. And in this case, it is simply a statement of fact a priori.

12. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weasel-faced?

13. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Shut your festering gob, you tit! Your type really makes me puke, you vacuous, coffee-nosed, maloderous, pervert!!!

14. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Hey, it's not the lowest bidders' fault the rubbers didn't work. The best raw materials were being used for airplane tyres.

Pip pip, cheerio, and all that.

15. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Plagerist

17. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okey-Dokey, Michael. Just checking.

And I'm thinking Truncated Weasel, most likely. "Truncated" is a word I've always liked - "macadamia, galoshes and bouffant" are up there too. "Gazebo" is nice.

18. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
  19. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Not a very good one, at that. The links Bill provided had "toffee-nosed" wheras the one I found had "coffee-nosed."

20. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Ok - never mind.