Yanks abroad gone reality TV

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by nswsoccer, Feb 17, 2011.

1. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Following... why don't you have a link to your Twitter in the first post?

2. nswsoccer

nswsoccer Member

Aug 16, 2002
    FLorida
    I spoke now to another soccer insider in sweden who has worked with teams in the highest division who is on board with what I'm doing. Coupled with that and the support of top agents here I think we can make this really cool. If I can generate enough buzz about it I the more people will be open to it! so get the word out! I spoke with Grant Wahl of SI and he said he will plug it...but the more the better!!!!!

today is saturday and I live on Monday so I need help to spread the word

http://twitter.com/#!/nweiss23 <-----------link to twitter account

Today I will speak with my old youth soccer coach Tony Stevens who worked at Manchester United academies, and got me signed in Ireland. He lives in Florida now and I will speak with him about soccer, life and americans abroad!!!

3. pimpimex

pimpimex New Member

Feb 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Sup Nate it's Omar from West Kendall... I don't play soccer anymore (went the academic route lol) but it's great to see one of my South Florida mates doing big things. I'll be following your twitter and look forward to your videos! (btw, I just spent some time in Stockholm, I hope you land yourself one of those blonde beauties!

4. nswsoccer

nswsoccer Member

Aug 16, 2002
    FLorida
    http://www.twitvid.com/RA6A8

Here is the link to a sit-down I had today with my old club coach before I leave the US. If you don't know him, his name is Tony Stevens, and has coached in Manchester United Academies, as well as Clemson University, and also had UEFA ans USSF licenses. He has coached Clint Mathis since he was a child as well.
    An interesting part about this is when he speaks about "LEE DIXON" who played at Arsenal. Lee went for trials at about every youth time you can think of until he made it.
    Not going to talk to much on here just check it out and let me know what you think.

anyone looking to play professionally would want to see

NWEISS23 <-----------------------------------

5. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Lee Dixon :)

Anyways I thought it was a good interview. The mental side of it is a huge factor that I think a lot of players overlook. Especially if you're going abroad you'll be dealing with different cultures, languages in some cases, leaving family and friends. Not everyone is prepared for that.

Then the club side of it especially if a player is a free agent and they may be wondering if it's worth it anymore. Theres a yank abroad, Jon-Paul Pittman, who played at some English youth academies as a youngster and once he was released he "dropped down" to the 5th division. He said a lot of people were telling him it was a bad move but he went anyway, did very well and now he's back in the Football League.

Footballing ability will obviously get a player pretty far, will certainly get them trials and contracts but being mentally sound and strong I think is probably the biggest factor.

6. Harry XI

Harry XI New Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    I made a twitter account just to follow you, I really look forward to all the interviews. I hope it all goes well, good luck!

7. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same here lol

8. nswsoccer

nswsoccer Member

Aug 16, 2002
    FLorida
    http://www.twitvid.com/HKEAO <------ I tried to answer some of your questions here Harry. I will get to more of them later! thanks guys for all the support and I look forward to having you all share this experiance with me. I wanted to mention now that I have spoken to numerous sports writers and just got retweeted by Allen Hopkins which is cool as well ass soccerinsider...Hopefull with these guys on my side I can get enough people to follow...any help with that is appreciated as the more people watch the more I will be able to do

9. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    Maybe it would be worth a try to give http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Örgryte_IS a call? They're down to a pretty barebones squad at the moment as I understand it after last years problems and might be looking to add people with low wage demands? Not sure, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Otherwise Falkenberg would be a nice step. Although they are a smaller club then J-Södra they currently have a better team and are probably hoping to get involved in the fight for promotion this season.

10. nswsoccer

nswsoccer Member

Aug 16, 2002
    FLorida
  11. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just caught up on watching the videos that I missed over the last few days. Some good stuff.

12. nswsoccer

nswsoccer Member

Aug 16, 2002
    FLorida
    http://twitvid.com/PCQFA

now another club in a higher divison called the coach at jonkopping about me. here is the latest entry about it.. I need some advice from you all.. what do you think I should do??

13. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    No doubt go for the Husqvarna deal if you can get it. They're more of a real club and maybe more importantly they play in much more of an attractive league. Also, if you're looking to move up the division one leagues are really heavily scouted while the division two leagues are alot less so.

14. nswsoccer

nswsoccer Member

Aug 16, 2002
    FLorida
    thanks for that.. I must speak to both managers because I also want to stay for a short time so I another club comes in for me in July I can go on a free.
    we will see what husqvarna says..
    I got a mention in no short corners you guys should check it out
    http://www.noshortcorners.com/2011/02/real-world-sweden.html

what do you all think of the project so far.. as it's in the beginning I am welcoming any suggestions on how to improve the process

15. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    I agree but I wonder if you could still keep the other team in mind as a backup if you can't agree on a deal with Husqvarna. Maybe tell the other team you want some time to think about it....I don't know if that will work but it can't hurt to try, unless they find out your trialing with Husqvarna and get mad.

I know someone, who knows someone who played in Division 1 (3rd division). He said his friend had a great time, he got an apartment, food, and a decent weekly wage. He said it was a good experience.

As for negotiations with any club just use common sense. Any written contract they give you is required to be in English I believe according to FIFA regulations if you aren't fluent in the country's language. Read everything before you sign it and ask questions if you don't understand something. If you know anyone that has played at a similar level ask them to give you a ballpark salary figure so you have an idea of where to start at with negotiations.

16. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think your project is going great. Go with husqvarna, if you think you have a shot to at making the roster.

17. soccerology

soccerology Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nate,

At first I wasn't sure if this was going to be a hit, but now I find myself looking for updates daily. Keep 'em coming.

I'm a coach, so naturally I'm interested in seeing some training, coaching, coach interviews, things like that - as well as your daily updates.

Looking forward to hearing/seeing what's next! Good luck bro.

18. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On Twitter Nate says he should have info this Wednesday on where he will play.

19. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weiss has signed a 3 month deal according to his latest video Tweet. It is 4th tier Swedish club Tenhults IF.

http://www.twitvid.com/Y9SPM

20. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the update. I don't get on twitter enough to keep up with him.

21. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010

I have to take back what I wrote here. Looking through the transfers made during the last year the upward mobility is almost as good in Division 2.

PLAYERS TRANSFERED TO ALLSVENSKAN (FIRST TIER):
    11 from Superettan (second tier)
    13 from Division 1 (third tier)
    9 from Division 2 (fourth tier)
    2 from Division 3 (fifth tier)

PLAYERS TRANSFERED TO SUPERETTAN (SECOND TIER):
    9 from Division 1 (third tier)
    11 from Division 2 (fourth tier)
    1 from Division 3 (fifth tier)

22. nswsoccer

nswsoccer Member

Aug 16, 2002
    FLorida
    I hope everyone on here is doing well.. I stopped tweeting for a little while because I didn't really think it would be so interesting. My contract with Tenhults IF is finshed on the 6th of July, and while they have asked me to stay for the rest of the season, I will try to get to a team in a higher level here in sweden. I will start now tweeting everyday because I think it will be interesting. I am getting in contact with pretty much every single club I know from div1-allsvenksan through meeting people and contacts. I am really hoping that a team in a higher level will bring me in for at least a trial. If you all want I can post the first few videos on here so you don't have to go on twitter, but I also don't want to seem like a spammer :p