Yanks Abroad Flavors of the Week: 2019/20 Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 16, 2019.

1. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    True, but they'd reportedly been interested in buying Danny Rose. I doubt Spurs would let him go for cheap.

2. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All just talk. Spurs also messed up holding onto rose as long as they did. His value dropped with all of the injuries. He will still get the English tax tho.

3. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw a lot of matches at BC Place when Davies was in Vancouver. It was clear after his Davies first two appearances that Kekuta Manneh was going to be out of a job. I was blown away by his pace, acceleration, strength and endurance especially how he could apply all with seemingly little effort. Tactically and technically he was raw but clearly talented and he didn't do stupid stuff for a 15 and 16 yr old. To top it off, he is super humble!

Anyway, Davies goes off to Gold Cup 2017 and wins Golden Boot. He returns to Whitecaps to great excitement but isn't playing much. During that period, I had these supporter tickets that gave me access to a pre-game locker room talk by the coach Carl Robinson (kind of weird, doesn't a coach have better things to do pre-game?) . Of course, the big questions to Carl are about Davies and when he is going to play again? Robinson basically said, "he's young, a great talent being scouted by big clubs and we see great things for him, but he came back from the Gold Cup fatigued. He needs a break mentally and physcially.". So, it wasn't until the following season that he started playing again regularly. I only pass this on because while we have youths that may be the best player at any moment for our NT, you have to make sure you aren't loading them up like they are veteran players. In other words, I won't freak out if Reyna isn't called in to every or even most international fixtures. You have to keep your eyes on what is ultimately most important.

Oh yeah, I felt confident that Davies was ready for Bundesliga but I was skeptical about him breaking into Bayern line up. I thought he would be loaned instead of what he is doing now for Bayern. That could still happen despite how well he is doing if everyone gets healthy at Bayern, He is too good at his age to sit on the bench and Bayern is the kind of club that can afford to be patient.

Dr.Phil, Pegasus, USSoccerNova and 2 others repped this.
  4. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    The thing that's hilarious is that he was taken to the cleaners by Brazil. Yes, BRAZIL. The rest of these clowns were taken to the cleaners by Curacao, Venezuela and Canada. So, maybe, I don't know, honestly evaluate them, instead of feed the rest of us a colossal pile of bull---- because he got skinned by freaking Brazil. And yes, I know he's a better attacking player than defender.

btlove, majspike, sXeWesley and 5 others repped this.
  5. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Should be noted that in '18, Robinson was still in his first year of getting league minutes.

6. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow if Antonee Robinson who is pretty much out of the USMNT picture under Berhalter is worth £10 million to AC Milan, just imagine what USMNT regular left back Daniel Lovitz is worth?? I would estimate a £80 million move to PSG is coming soon... well either that or $50,000 in targeted allocation money from MLS expansion Nashville!

7. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    One thing I dislike is when American soccer fans and media make a huge deal out of small things in Europe as some big accomplishment. Right now, I'm rolling my eyes at all of the "Tyler Adams has been out for four months but he steps right back into the starting lineup of the Bundesliga leaders!!!!!"

IOW, starter gets healthy and gets his job back.

Not a real accomplishment.

Editor In Chimp and DHC1 repped this.
  8. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Cmon, ghost. His returning to the lineup makes me very very happy. That’s an accomplishment in my book....

9. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Injuries can cost you your job in Europe. Top clubs have squad depth and competition. You’re not guaranteed to walk back into the starting lineup. Look at Liverpool. Joe Gomez was their first choice RCB next to VVD for a good portion of last year up until injury. They went on a run that lead to them winning UCL and he lost his spot to Matip. He got it back right now cause an injury.

It’s obviously case by case but the point is that it’s not a guarantee.

10. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes players return from injuries especially long ones and are never the same as before the injury. So while I agree that getting his job back wasn't a huge deal Adams being back healthy and as good as he was before being injured was a big deal. US has lost so many players to injuries that were never the same - O'Brien, Holden, Davies, Onyewu etc.

11. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    geez, man. howd you downplay his winning that starting spot like three weeks after getting there?

12. Calling BS

Calling BS Member+

Orlando City
    United States
    Jan 25, 2020
    And wasn’t he played out of position? Like as a left mid or left winger? He’s always attack well as a LB for us.

Patrick167 repped this.
  13. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know this isn’t US related but is it soccer related. The guy should be ashamed of himself but still I can’t help but laugh.

1221138759443415041 is not a valid tweet id

Translation:

A pity to see actions like the one that this Sant Andreu coach stars in, the values that we should teach as trainers should never be these.

You have to know how to lose, but above all you have to know how to win.

Winoman repped this.
  14. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Come on.

15. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The running and hugging the kid is over the top but ok. The going back to kick the ball away. From a 9 year old. He’s a grown man. He should be ashamed. It’s hilarious but come on man. You don’t think that’s a little shameful? He’s their coach at that. What example is he setting.

Winoman repped this.
  16. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact that he is a no doubt starter as a 20 year old on the #1 team in the BL is a giant accomplishment.

When has a 20 year old American been the starter on a BL team as a DM,? A 20 year old of any nationality starting for the leading team in the BL is a story.

17. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we had 11 Tyler Adams spread across the field, we’d be a top 5 emerging program.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  18. Calling BS

Calling BS Member+

Orlando City
    United States
    Jan 25, 2020
    I find it interesting that no one is having an issue that he was asked to play RB.

Dr.Phil and napper repped this.
  19. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was only 1 game.

20. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    He's played RB two of the three games he's been back. While I actually think the RB-as-CM role would be a good one for him, he was mostly just a straight RB out there in the last game (came in only a few times), and it was a waste.

Ives just asked Berhalter where he'd play, and he said "central midfield." Now whether that's in the Yeuill/Bradley or as a double pivot with that role, or as an 8 in front of it, we will have to see.

largegarlic, tomásbernal and 50/50 Ball repped this.
  21. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have watched all three games since his return closely and it seems like he plays RB when the plan is to attack along the edge and plays CDM when the offense plays out from the center. The difference in the two formations have been pretty stark. Google has listed them playing 3 different (rather strange) formations over these games... But I can't trust the actual lineups because they have him playing the left CDM spot against Union Berlin instead of the right. I would like to see him play the single 6 role for once w/o Laimer... but I have to say that I will be content as long as he is on the field.

22. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fully disagree- he would be an AWFUL keeper, attacking everything. hed be the american ochoa.

50/50 Ball and gogorath repped this.
  23. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But, like Ochoa, it would be SPECTACULAR!

rgli13 repped this.
  24. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    with no goals. Not a bad feat.

25. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Adams is most effective when playing with 3cb's. Just my opinion.