Yanks Abroad Flavors of the Week 2018-19

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TheFalseNine, Aug 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    Im spilling beer trying to contain my excitement.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  2. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In 10 minutes of action.

Can someone pinch me? Is this real life?

3. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Subbing in for Neymar.

(Last year he was subbing in for Ayo Akinola)

frankburgers repped this.
  4. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Believe it or not, fullback is considered a position for people with high IQ. Here in the USA, it's considered a place where you save money and put a dumb guy who runs fast. Nouhou is a typical example (Seattle). Like anything else, just observe for yourself and you'll probably see there's something to it. My own theory is that fullbacks have more time to analyze what is going on so the longer application of intelligence leads to good results whereas in the middle of the pitch it's best to react first and think later ("a thinking Marine is a dead Marine".)

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  5. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He actually debuted last season, but your point still stands. Not much more you could have asked from him today.

6. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I knew that. What was I thinking?

7. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The real question is: what is his FIFA rating going to be?

Dude's a sub for PSG. Gotta by a 70-ish...

8. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Adams plays like he's never been taught the game.

He doesn't have the awareness, insticts or IQ a CM should have.

9. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great goal for Weah to get. No it's not sexy looking but it's pure hustle on the press. Tuchel likes to press that type of hustle will get him PT.

10. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I guess nobody is watching NYRB games this year.

This past Saturday, he comes from deep to pressure after a turn over, gets the ball to a team mate who feeds BWP for the winner. I guess he didn't read that play. Maybe one of few times he stepped up into that area, certainly the Fire player (was it Schweinie?) didn't expect it. Pretty good read, excellent technique. But nahhh...kid doesn't see the game.

He does it all over the field. He comes in and wins the ball; drops back to cut off passes, fills in when the FBs are out of position. NYRB are arguably the best team in the league and he is their best CM. When a big play has to be made he makes it. Watch the USA v France game. France beats the back line several times early, and Adams reads the play and comes into the box to tackle the ball away.

He is 19 and has been playing CM for a few months. He improves with every game. He is only going to get better as the challenges get harder.

Not aggressive enough? Did you see the Toronto vs. NYRB playoff series? Are people just making things up to crap on the kid?

onefineesq, frankburgers, chad and 8 others repped this.
  11. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    This is nuts. He is running NYRB games from CM. By far the most influential player on his team or the opponent. He is probably moving to a top Bundesliga team soon.

But no, the kid has no idea how to play and no skill.

Makes sense!

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yeah..............I don't know what people are watching.
    When Tyler's doing the same exact work in the Bundesliga in 2019, folks will be raving about it.

I do agree with those that think Adams, McKennie, Parks (and even MLS options like Acosta) are all #8s.

There are fewer young #6s out there that have broken thru and we can say "that's the guy for the future." Certainly few in Europe. Chris Durkin of DCU stands out in this regard. I don't think he'll be in MLS very much longer. There was a bunch of Euro interest in him and he recently turned 18.

For those of us that are on the older side, this is a strange development. We used to have more #6s than we knew what to do with (on a CONCACAF level), but few true #8s.

Patrick167 and onefineesq repped this.
  13. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know what I see when Adams is in the middle of the park. I've seen it at NYRB, and I've seen it on the international stage.

I have a slightly different opinion than you, sorry. You read "I wouldn't say that he has "bad soccer IQ", but he's just not quite comfortable-enough in the center of the park is all." as "...people just making things up to crap on the kid". As is your right. Certainly doesn't make me change my opinion of him.

I sincerely hope he finishes moving to Europe soon, because that will be where he can grow into his potential.

And FYI, I didn't say he wasn't aggressive enough.

14. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    I like McKennie at the 6, even if it's not his best position. And Acosta can play there in a pinch, although I don't love him there against decent opposition.

15. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's an Italiano LB.

He just doesn't know it yet.

16. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    On the goal, he knocks the ball loose from Dax in the fullback area where he has Dax caught near the end line so he is able to orient himself nicely and he is quite good at that. Having said that, a European looking at that would say he let Dax turn inside with a free path to the 6m box. If that's Hazard instead of Dax, Adams gets benched.

Adams is being allowed to do has he wants for a reason:cautious: and that's fine, whatever it is. He made the play there. Can't fault him for that. He can only play the players he is playing.

17. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    It's also possible he wouldn't have made a play that risky against better opposition.

18. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    #168 Patrick167, Aug 14, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    He let him turn inside to HIS OWN 6 yd box. I think you let anyone, even Hazard, dribble the ball into his OWN 6 yd box under pressure. Not that Hazard would be 50 yds from that area of the field.

Playing as a DM, Adams streaks forward after a team TO, wins the ball in a very dangerous area off of a US International (according to Arena) holding midfielder that leads to the game winning goal. He can do that and get back in position and do it all game. He covers so much ground it will free up McKennie to get forward more. Something I think McKennie will take a big step forward doing this year for Schalke.

These kids are dynamic, always improving, frequently regressing, making mistakes and learning from them. To have an opinion from three years ago and to stick with it is ignoring what happens with young prospects in every sport.

Maybe Sarachan and Ramos have no idea what they are doing and will play guys who have zero clue what they are doing. Maybe Tata played him there for marketing. But it is hard to believe the entire Red Bulls organization would do so. Much easier to think the posters here have not been paying attention.

19. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe??

Patrick167 repped this.
  20. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I got that one wrong:oops:

onefineesq and Patrick167 repped this.
  21. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    uh what?

22. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
  23. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    I'm guessing he will be allowed to rest so won't be called in for the friendlies.

Eleven Bravo and Winoman repped this.
  24. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Bedoya has been one of the top 8s in the league.

25. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that'd be ideal. I'd like to see some of the young MLS RB flavors. Guys that aren't Zusi...