Yanks Abroad Flavors of the Week 2018-19

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TheFalseNine, Aug 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    you forgot
    1BL: *Tillman*
    2BL: George, Lankford, Costly, S.Parker, Gipson

Dr.Phil, dlokteff, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  2. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I should have remembered Soto, but I knew I would forget a bunch in the 2.Bundesliga.

One person I did remember is Jonathan Klinsmann, but I didn't list him since he didn't make a single first team appearance this year.

3. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Tyler Boyd scored today in Turkey. He will be needing some kind of move this Summer as his loan is up I believe.

4. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully his good half season in Turkey will generate some interest. Might be best for him to leave Portugal.

5. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    His time in Turkey and a good GC run should make a move to the Bundesliga pretty easy. Teams like Paderborn or Freiberg that will be looking to hit on the counter could always use a player like Boyd.

I've read about him but I don't know why he is even in Portugal. You would think an American/Kiwi would be in England/Denmark/Germany to begin with. He probably had the NZ caps at some point to get an English work permit (assuming he would need one).

6. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I am learning more as well. I guess Portugal made an offer and he was excited about the technical aspects of the league. Had a hard time breaking in, secured a loan in Portugal and played well and won recognition from his home club, then was supposed to be a starter, got injured and never made it back to the starting line up so a loan to Turkey. Seems after some bumps in the road, he has found some success now to hope he can sustain it.

Patrick167 repped this.
  7. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kronholm as well.

8. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's obvious Portugal was wowed by him, signed him and then learned he was part American and then gave him the treatment they give all USians. :ROFLMAO:

9. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sunderland just Sunderlanded one of their most Sunderlandish seasons in Sunderland history, Lynden Gooch will once again be plying his trade in league one next season after a pretty remarkable late season collapse.

10. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Collapse? How do you figure? Sunderland was a club that spent the overwhelming majority of this season out of the two automatic promotion spots in League 1, and then only missed out on promotion thanks to a last second goal in the playoff final.

11. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    continuing from the previous discussion, looks like there will be new entrants to 1BL-2BL level and exits. For now,

1BL
    -Maloney Union Berlin, although since he had 0 involvement focusing on school, could be loaned out.

2BL
    -Leibold, Wehen
    -Pisot, Karlsruher, although will be 32 next season
    -Heider, Osnabruck, although will be 32 next season

And ones for now not including possible departures.
    Relegated from 1BL or leaving: Soto, Gloster, Pulisic
    Relegated from 2BL: Gyau, Costly
    questionable future/future movements: Wood, Tillman, Wooten, Gipson, Klinsmann, Toljan, Johannsson, Gaines, Wright, Shelton

not going to include youth players/II.

97 German-American Gillian Jurcher is attracting 2BL interest after doing pretty well in RL Sudwest (ended up as 5th top scorer of the league). But Saarbrucken don't want to lose him, although could all depend on $$$.

dlokteff repped this.
  12. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Hey @Ger90 . Just curious as to your background. You seem to know more about the "Americanness" of guys over there than probably Berhalter is. Are you in Germany? You list your Nat Team as Germany; what's your tie to the USMNT?

13. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No ties to USMNT and I'm from Germany but live in Canada, just someone who follows the German league system from U17-1BL, with some interest in U16 as well, and the dev of players in Germany. As for USA players or other nationality, I have a pretty good memory for names and duality, less likely to forget.

And I'm interested in the eternal question of whether a German-American player will ever be world class or a top player at the min? So far the answer has been a big no from the older players and from the current youth duals also a no. Though I'm a wait and see on M.Tillman and Scott (although his USA eligibility is a ???).

Winoman, USSoccerNova and dlokteff repped this.
  14. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    That's the longest of longshots, right? How many Germans are there with an American parent? It's got to be a small fraction of the population.

I mean, there are very few German world class players. (not a knock on Germany. Germany produces way more than there share. I'm just saying "World Class" is a pretty narrow standard.) You're looking for a needle in a hay stack. I'm not being critical, just pointing out the statistical unlikelihood of it.

Out of curiosity, do you know the % of Germans with an American parent (or grandparent)?

Not tryin to be a peedle. Thank you for the good info you've provided on here!

15. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    I'd consider world class to be someone good enough to start in an imaginary 15 team super league. In that since Jermaine Jones would easily fit the definition.

Footsatt and DHC1 repped this.
  16. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I did say or top player. So far that's not the case for any German-American, even your Johnson, Jones, Brooks, Chandler who had 1BL success are decent to good at best.

not sure I know the stats but in the USA it seems like there is like 15% of the population with German descent. While in Germany according to wiki
    According to Destatis, 107,755 American citizens lived in Germany in 2013,[4] and about 324,000 people with American ancestry.[1]

out of a population of 83 M.

Winoman repped this.
  17. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    First step is to have more than a couple Americans become world-class......

RalleeMonkey and Winoman repped this.
  18. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Jones, Dempsey, and Friedel spent multiple years in the top-100 of the old Castrol Index, which aggregated performances across the leagues of Europe. I'd say those 3 plus 2 or 3 more would have qualified as 'world class' over the past two decades.

19. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    none of those 3 were world class or top talents. Good players with consistency on the other hands, yes.

20. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Depends on criteria. What's yours?

21. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I don't know the difference between World Class or Top Player. But, looking for the development of a World Class or Top Player out of a population of 324,000 .... that's a challenge. Especially, since intuitively, there are very few Germans, who grew up in Germany, that would chose U.S. over Germany if they were good enough for Germany. It would be pretty shocking. Hell, we get Americans who are good enough for America, that chose other countries.

Note: this is not a knock on duellies. Particularly Germericans. Arena and Wambach are idiots. Jermaine Jones is one of my favorite MNT players ever. Also a big Fab fan. Very happy we have Brooksy on our side.

Footsatt, Pegasus and DHC1 repped this.
  22. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    its normal that they would choose Germany. Those players lived essentially lived their whole lives in Germany, or most of it. Including family/friends and it's Germany who develop them as well.These kids also grew up watching Germany win the 2014 WC and get to countless SF runs too. Something to take into account to, for any country having friends who also play in a NT also could make a difference.

but that 324 000 even if the # was more than that and that was from 2013, 6 years ago. One cannot deny that a lot of players are coming out in every age groups. Not going to bring up 01-onwards as they are still youth players.

95-Green, Costly
    96-Gipson (spent way too much time injured over last 2 seasons), D.Parker (also riddled with injury issues. Shame that neither Parker brothers lived to his full potential nor will they ever at this point)
    97-Klinsmann, Zelalem, *Jurcher*
    98-Lankford, Friede
    99-Maloney, T.Tillman
    00-Malone, Leibold

I only included guys who played 1st or 2nd division and younger age groups. Klinsmann did play an EL game so was included and seems to have attracted club interests too. And included Malone and Leibold who as 00s were playing U19/II but made 1st team progress and seem rated by their respective clubs. Also Jurcher depending on if he moves up this Summer.

that's basically an average of 2 players per age group, not too bad from such a small pool. Even from 01-02s, I can say that 2 per age group average min will still likely be a thing. The door is not closed on late bloomers or guys like 99-Anton who suffered due to long term injury.

23. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jones in 08-09 was consensus the best CM in the BuLi and in 12-13 made several 2nd team XI at CM. The best CM in a top 4 league puts you on the "world class" list.

Jones, Dempsey, and Howard all made FIFA top 50 player of WC2014 list!

24. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #1249 Ger90, May 30, 2019
    Last edited: May 30, 2019
    having a few good seasons does not make one world class players. Jones was nowhere near world class.

nor are Dempsey or Howard world class. Good players but not world class. Howard it's basically that Belgium game that's it. The guy who made Howard irrelevant and made him leave Man U, Edwin van der Sar that was world class GK.

someone playing a good tournament is a different story too.

I mean there is a reason why people always discuss whether Pulisic will become the 1st ever USA world class player because there aren't any from before.

LuckofLichaj repped this.
  25. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was? You have a cite for this?