Yanks Abroad Flavors of the Week 2018-19

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TheFalseNine, Aug 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Not if they NEVER produce goals against Costa Rica or Mexico or quality competition in major tournaments (which by the way is what I referenced repeatedly in my posts about scoring on top 40 teams, friendlies don't matter in that sense, some teams take them very seriously, some not at all, and all of them, regardless of quality, have intentions separate and distinct from simply earning a result which makes scoring in them not nearly as relevant as scoring against the same teams in major tournaments), if that is their story they'll never belong in the same esteem as players like Donovan, Dempsey, Bradley, McBride etc. Doesn't mean they won't matter, but guys like those four earned their place by scoring big goals in big moments against legit competition. That matters. You can keep pointing to .37 and I will keep getting annoyed with myself for responding, but I'm responding because we seem to be talking completely past one another. Again, never argued Jozy wasn't a capable forward, just that he has a really bizarre and god awful track record against quality competition in games that matter. He either doesn't score at all in those games, or isn't available due to injury. That's whats happened in every single match of consequence in his career against quality completion since the Confed Cup ended. Maybe it's just an odd coincidence, but after ten freaking years of this, it sure doesn't seem like it.

Patrick167 and Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  2. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    Im interested to know how Horvath played in the win over RBS. Salzburg has a good attack with Dabbur heading it.

3. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I actually said that any USMNT #9, given 100 games, would score about the same. All the players who have had around 1 goal every 3 games. You can argue that you have to be pretty good to get 100 games at striker for the USMNT. But to say .37 is an incredibly larger number than .33 is ludicrous. 4 goals over 110 games.

Again, Jozy's record against good competition is dismal. His record against poor opposition is average with historical standards. If you want to say it is 10% better, ok, whatever.

Jozy was Sargent sure. But that was a long time ago and it has no relevance now. Weah and Sargent will have a hard time getting to 100 caps if we keep playing average to below average older players instead of them.

Jozy's USMNT career had long stretches of being played by JK when other MLS strikers were more in form. That Jozy played in 2015 over Wondo for instance, is just the situation we are in now. Jozy needs to step aside soon for Sargent and/or Weah. Especially since Jozy in MLS in 2018 was nowhere as good as Wondo in 2015.

4. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Adams earns an assist on a classic box-to-box midfield type play for RB, driving upfield and sliding the ball to Poulsen.

5. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets be clear, this is what you said :" I doubt any player, played at the 9 for the USMNT or Mexico, with their mostly CONCACAF schedules would score less". The fact is those other players did score less!

As for your claim that "Jozy's USMNT career had long stretches of being played by JK when other MLS strikers were more in form.", That is just nonsense. Who were those other strikers that were in form that were not tried? JK dropped Jozy for EJ in 2012 and BS almost had a nervous breakdown! JK used Jozy, EJ, and Herc for most of the 2014 cycle. In the 2018 cycle he used Jozy, Deuce, and Zardes while mixing in Wondo and AJ (when healthy).

You may be the only person on the planet that wanted to see Wondo in 2015 after he blew the sitter in WC 2014. In any case Wondoo's 2015 MLS rate is very similar to Jozy's 2015 MLS rate. The striker that JK used from MLS in 2015 was a 23yo who had scored 17 goals the prior year named Zardes!

It turns out that 2013 to 2016 was the most productive USMNT period for Jozy with 24Gs in 47 matches!

6. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are spending too much time talking about Jozy Altidore in a Yanks "Abroad" thread.

7. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1007 TheHoustonHoyaFan, Feb 16, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    TA with his 3rd start and another gem with a 4 tackle, 3 Int, 4 dribble, and 1 assist for a WS 8.1! He again played as a double #6 in a 4-2-2-2 magic rectangle! His assist was a sublime, perfectly weighted pass off the dribble!

I am sure we will see many of the same posters who lambasted Klinsmann for playing folks "out of position" will continue to suggest that GB use Adams at RB!

The assist: https://streamja.com/j7MO

8. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With our starting RB out, Weston filled in at RB and went 90 in a 0-0 with Freiburg. Schalke played the 2nd half with 10 due to a straight RC sendoff.

McKennie did well with 5 aerials won, 3 tackles, 3 ints, and 6 clearances. He was however beaten off the dribble 4 times. He did get a WS 7.8 and MOTM for his stat stuffing but he is not a RB.

largegarlic and onefineesq repped this.
  9. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m very happy to see Adams getting PT right away. I can honestly say I didn’t see that coming but am very glad it did. From what I’ve seen he still needs to do better when pressed and in tight spaces but his athleticism will get him out of a lot of trouble.

I think our biggest issue in the midfield will be figuring out the Adams Wes partnership. Will it be them together, will they have someone in front or behind, will one of them be able to adapt their game enough to be the lone 6.

Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  10. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually his 4th start, just for the record.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  11. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah but I bet after the pass he just stood and admired his work ;):D:ninja:

12. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should have been clear about BuLi starts. He did also have a DFB Pokal start.

onefineesq repped this.
  13. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Siebatcheu is out for 8 to 10 weeks with a thigh injury, so he won't make the France U21 Euro roster, not that it was likely to begin with. Now his France YNT eligibility will expire without being provisionally cap-tied, and if he wants to keep going for France, it will be senior team or bust. You wonder how much of Siebatcheu's declining of the USMNT callup from Sarachan last year was because he was still France YNT-eligible.

Winoman, IndividualEleven and edcrocker repped this.
  14. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I just posted in the other thread, this really sucks for the guy. He just can't seem to catch a break.

edcrocker and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  15. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    '95 winger Romain Gall had a goal and assist today for Malmo in Swedish Cup action.

TxEx and IndividualEleven repped this.
  16. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1097165935155339264 is not a valid tweet id

edcrocker, Winoman and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  17. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He seems to score those outside the box goals for fun.

18. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    '95 Gboly Ariyibi having another active game for Motherwell, this time against Hearts.

1097121609100480513 is not a valid tweet id

edcrocker and Winoman repped this.
  19. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EPB and NAC Breda got crushed by Ajax 5-0. Had such high hopes for him. But I remember when I had high hopes for Gale Agbossomounde too. Seems to be Agbossomounde 2.0

also.......scored an own goal

20. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AM/winger Joel Sonora gets another start in the top flight of Argentina. He's just a few months too old for being YNT-eligible. One to keep an eye on.
    1097213721833865218 is not a valid tweet id

edcrocker and Winoman repped this.
  21. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Late '96 DM/CM Fernando Arce Jr. was named to the best XI for Ascenso MX, the Mexican second division. He was a key starter for Diego Maradona's Dorados who finished second place in the Apertura. He's provisionally cap-tied to the US. Not worthy of a callup just yet but could be one to watch for the future if he can secure a move to Liga MX. So far in the 2019 Clausura he has started five matches and has two goals. Like Sonora, he is just slightly too old for USYNTs.

Eleven Bravo, Rahbiefowlah and Winoman repped this.
  22. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh gosh ... not good. Yeah, I have to start looking at the evidence in front of me and question whether he will end up being anything close to what I thought he could be.

largegarlic and DHC1 repped this.
  23. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Sometimes central defenders take a good while to find their feet.

DHC1 repped this.
  24. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the thing that I am hanging my hat on.

DHC1 repped this.
  25. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Yeah, I really thought EPB would end up the best player from that u-20 group, and the best CB out of Miazga, CCV, and himself. And he still might, but he really needs to get a good loan for next season to start getting consistent minutes and finding some form.