Yanks Abroad Flavors of the Week 2018-19

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TheFalseNine, Aug 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Polish off your SPL putdowns, boys and girls.

2. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I get the feeling the English want Hyndman to be a little more Scottish.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  3. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    Haha yeah, that's embarrassing, I think I've purged Bradley's existence from my memory after that T&T game. I even remembered Onyewu's stunt in Milan but somehow forgot about Bradley.

4. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    Maybe, we haven't had a ton of guys in Spain over the years either (Boca, Keller, and Jozy all had stints there but none were really there long term), although that's also true of France. Of the major leagues we've had by far the most guys go to Germany (even non dual citizens) and England, which is probably just because those countries are a lot more culturally similar to the US than Spain or Italy are. Same reason Latin American players have historically gone to Spain and Italy in much greater numbers than the northern European countries.

5. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s crazy how bad Bradley has become... not even for the US, but for Toronto too. Compare him with Benny Feilhaber and they’re not even remarkably in the same class of player, if you looked at this season alone.

chad, gunnerfan7, ChuckMe92 and 2 others repped this.
  6. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Derby County finished 6th in the Championship last season.
    1027539426321281024 is not a valid tweet id

7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    #82 IndividualEleven, Aug 9, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    Holmes's doing well in the C'ship should vault him into NT consideration.

Now, if only Gboly Ariyibi could break through.

Winoman and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  8. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Donovan, Howard, and Nagbe all refused call ups. I'm sure the list of players that came out of a game hurt is also quite long. I don't know of a single call-up that FJ ever refused. Arena told him he wasn't going to be called for the Gold Cup, so he could get fit again with his club. That got translated in a German interview of only getting called for "important" games, It was Arena's idea. He had done similar with players in his first stint.

FJ played Left Back any time asked. He is simply not in the same category as Chandler or Nagbe.

Nagbe has been called since Couva and played for the team. Compare how people here view him and his refusal to come to camp with Chandler or Jaelin Hinkle.

Having said all that, he is not young but I would like to see FJ called one time to say goodbye. Maybe one of the European friendlies he could start and come off in the 57'. I'd like that done with Dempsey, Bradley, Howard, and Cameron, too (not sure what minute to bring those guys off at as they all played more than 90 times I would guess, haha).

9. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Nagbe is a total waste of a spot and was one of the worst players on the field in Trinidad, so that's not really a point in favor of FJ. Ditto Howard, who should have been given his glowing send-off after 2014 (Maybe he saves that 40 yard shot in Trinidad without the giant fork in his back).

The Donovan thing...I'm not going there except to say that it's a completely different set of circumstances.

I do agree that it would be nice to see a testimonial-type call up for Dempsey.

Patrick167 repped this.
  10. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, would it be right or wrong of us to give Dempsey an easy friendly against a minnow to get the opportunity to get the goals record?

11. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #86 onefineesq, Aug 9, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    Yes, it would be wrong. That would be insulting, if it were me. Time to move on.

IndividualEleven repped this.
  12. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I'd be afraid the minnow would beat us.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  13. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bradley has also played the majority of this season on the back line as a CB or Sweeper due to the rash of injuries TFC have had Yes he's lost a step, but he's still a top MLS DM when fully fit.

14. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Reminder: This is the YA thread.

Having said that, why would anybody care about yesterday's papers at this point anyway, apart rom the rare exception?

15. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think we're off topic, unless we pretend Canada is a foreign country, but from the MLS site, Bradley was motm over guys like Alphonso Davies in the Canadian Championship played yday:
    https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2018-08-08-vancouver-whitecaps-fc-vs-toronto-fc/recap
    MAN OF THE MATCH: Bradley had a battling shift in the middle of the field for Toronto and helped set up the crucial own goal at the end for TFC. They'll be hoping he has another strong performance in the second leg next week.

16. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    I don't want to necessarily continue the tangent/off topic convo, but while I as a fan would appreciate the opportunity to send him off, I can see arguments against giving him a testimonial against a minnow solely to get the record, and more relevantly, I could see Dempsey declining said call up. I could see him accepting a cap for our cash-cow friendly against Mexico, since he's never scored against them.

But back to YA matters.

Winoman repped this.
  17. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MB90 has played 20 MLS matches but only 6 at CB.

I am not sure he would be a top 10 MLS DM this year. I would put Herrera, Bedoya, Chara, Kaye, Adams, JDS, Larentowitz, Caicedo, Dax, Trapp ahead of MB90 in 2018.

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    :eek:

Finally coming around THHF?

19. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Hyndman subbed in at '81 in Hibs' Europa qualifier today against Molde (0-0).

Not bad considering he signed yesterday.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  20. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wish he got a loan to a better league surprised it's only 6 months tho

21. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Greek passport possibility ;)

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  22. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    #97 IndividualEleven, Aug 10, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    Eleven Bravo and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  23. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tim Ream is injured and will miss Fulham's opener against Crystal Palace tomorrow. Terrible timing for him. The general feeling is that with all the new faces coming onboard he'd eventually have found himself out of the starting 11, but he definitely would have been in the lineup tomorrow with Mawson out injured.

25. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    If you speak Spanish on the pitch, you are banished. What do they do if you slip and speak Portugese?