Yanks Abroad Flavors of the Week 2018-19

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TheFalseNine, Aug 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wish him well, really think he is line for a breakout if he can just get enough time. A second half brace is a way to do it.

3. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yedlin played okay against Chelsea, got an assist on a cross. Also got an own goal, but if he had not tapped it Ross Barkley had ran to the back post and would have tapped it in. Benitez played a back 5 that was really flat so it was a lot of defending.

4. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Agreed. It’s still hard for me to see the actual downside in being a Spurs (or other UCL contending team) loanee for an improving player.

5. Cynical US fan

United States
    Mar 30, 2017
    Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yedlin has to do better than that if he's going to be one of the USMNT's mainstays.
    Pulisic had a great game, and both Fabian and Brooks scored goals yesterday for their game-winning clubs.

6. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I thought Puli was good, not great. As the announcers noted, he dribbles himself into trouble a lot - goes at multiple defenders when there is no space behind them. No point in trying to beat two guys when there are two more waiting. It's not like he's pulling defenses out of position when he does that. Seems like he almost plays on the front foot too much. Don't get me wrong, I'm super excited about him.

Another guy, he's a small guy, he goes down a lot on contact, but doesn't always get the call.

7. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Let's see Pulisic with a good manager and a good cf and good cmid. We'll train him to move the rock with purpose. Being the member of a dysfunctional family like Dortmund makes a boy dysfunctional. Bradley, Arriola and two headed monster Jozy + Wood? Totally idiotic. There's talk he'll play against Mexico. Let's see if Sarachan can get this right or if he just continues the futile exercise over and over and...……..:sleep:

laxcoach repped this.
  8. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I'm confident he'll sort it out. He's got to find gradients of intensity between back pass and try-to-beat-the-whole-other-team. Number one, is he really shouldn't be going at 2 defenders if there is no space behind them. At the edge of the box, ok. But, he doesn't seem to have the ball at the edge of the box much.

9. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    “We’ll train him to move the rock with purpose”?
    National teams have little to zero time to train players on their game. There is barely enough time to bring players together and put together a playing system and definition of roles

10. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Life isn't that simple. I would hope he and his mates would train passing to each other. I actually see them doing that sometimes.

11. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    Dortmund is a dysfunctional club? If so, why would Pulisic remain there?

12. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because no legit offers came in that met BVB's demands? He's a pawn at this stage. He wants to go and they know it, but they want their coin.

13. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    Dortmund is a selling club and they operate in that manner. Im not sure dysfunctional is the right term. Most players are used as pawns in professional sports unless you have the leverage to dictate the situation.

It doesnt make sense for Dortmund to let Pulisic leave for anything less than their perceived value of him. Thats not Dysfunctional. They appear to already have a replacement in Sancho. It comes down to them getting the value they want for a top tier youth talent. To me, this sounds like a functional business.

Grumpy in LA and jaykoz3 repped this.
  14. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree, I wouldn't use that term to describe them. They actually seem content to be second or third fiddle to Bayern as long as 80k lunatics show up every home game. Can't blame them at all. It's sound business.

My comment was to say that Pulisic couldn't leave regardless of how he sees BVB at the time.

FeedhimtothepigsArold repped this.
  15. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
  17. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    So according to Transfermarkt, that's 4 goals in 6 games with Werder II. That sort of strike rate will get him looks with the 1st team sooner than later.

STR1 repped this.
  18. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #243 truefan420, Aug 30, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    It will def get him looks in practice but he'll have to prove it there before a coach gives him looks in a game. Even then it will likely be end of game situations.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  19. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    Nice to see Yedlin on the scoresheet. Well done!

20. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Nice effort by Yedlin. About the 85', he also had a play in which he schooled Sterling to slide an entry pass around the area. But Sterling, in addition to beating him and the RCB for a goal, also won some fouls in dangerous areas.

I continue to maintain Yedlin would be better at wingback/wid-midfield, at least for the US, when we don't have the majority of possession.

FeedhimtothepigsArold repped this.
  21. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think he has turned into a real (non-American) right back and is in fine form. There were 3 players who could have stopped Sterling. Yedlin's job is, first of all, to stop Sterling from getting by him on the outside. He did that (on the goal; I haven't watched the whole game yet).

For the USMNT he should do exactly what he does at Newcastle, imo.

GoBigBlue88 repped this.
  22. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    I agree about Yedlin playing further up the pitch when we have less possession. His defensive positioning is a weakness.He has improved though. He relies on his recovery speed too often.

23. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's the thing tho, the US doesn't play like Newcastle so it's not that simple.

24. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    well, we play with 11 men including one gk.

Of course, if you are like Jurgen and say that width comes from the fullbacks, because you haven't otherwise provided for width, and the other team is aware of that and given the easy job of marking the guy furthest from goal and...…...oh, never mind, I give up.

25. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Siebatcheu makes his first start for Rennes today, against Bordeaux. He is worth monitoring for USMNT purposes because he keeps getting left out of France U21 squads and by a pretty wide margin (there are a handful of other guys getting left out who are ahead of him too), and his France youth eligibility is not far away from expiring. There are only two more remaining France U21 camps he could be called to for a provisional cap-tie (October, and the final next summer), and it seems unlikely that he would be with the guys ahead of him. We already know the USSF has contacted him though he probably declined at the time.