Yanks Abroad Flavors of the Week 2017-18 [all R's]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Dr. Gamera, Jul 27, 2017.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    You are moving the goalposts now. Nonsense, as I said.

You are doing exactly what you tried to criticize me for doing (something I didn't actually do).

2. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    To me, that 2 minute video which is the highlights of the USA elimination by Venezuela makes EPB look a lot like Agudelo if Juan were a defender.

There just seems to be something missing in EPB's game. Miazga is the total package.

3. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the defenders should be grouped into big aerial backs and mobile backs. Ideally one paired with the other. I agree that having two of the same kind has led to less than ideal results. There are the aerial types (Brooks, Miazga, Zimmerman) and the mobile ones (EPB, Glad). Not sure where to place Parker and CCV as they seem more a third type that is not great (but not bad either) in the air or super mobile but more rugged. Perhaps also a consideration would be opponents as CONCACAF games might need a rugged back but also a goal scorer like Zimmerman might come in handy to snatch a point on the road.

keller4president and Winoman repped this.
  4. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OWN(yewu)ED, KUSA77, Converted54 and 5 others repped this.
  5. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    lol

6. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eleven Bravo, Winoman and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  7. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Besides the club connection that could well seal a starting spot for him, it should also be noted that NAC Breda have just gotten a new manager, Mitchell van der Gaag, so there won't be any managerial loyalties to the current CBs -- who EPB probably could have beaten out regardless.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  8. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Parker is very good/excellent in the air. Has great hops, strong and wins most of his aerial duels.

9. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man City did send fellow Central defender Pablo Mari there last year and he was a starter for NAC Breda. Not sure what their intentions are with Mari this year. (along with Angelino who was also on loan with Breda as a LB and then signed with Eindhoven).

10. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    I like the idea of dividing CBs into aerial, mobile, and rugged:

Previous aerial CBs:
    Cameron
    Gonzalez
    Onyewu
    Goodson
    Pope
    Lalas

Previous mobile CBs:
    Besler
    Ream
    Parkhurst
    Bocanegra

Previous rugged CBs:
    Jay DeMerit
    Marcelo Balboa (?)
    Danny Califf(?)

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    1009494705711828996 is not a valid tweet id

12. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Came with a two year extension at Reading too. Have to think this is a 6 month trial and if it goes well, Sittard buy him outright in January. Good move for Nova, have success in a country, stay there and move up.

Funny how these things work, but so many were upset a 2nd division Dutch player and a player with zero professional minutes were called into the last few camps. But in a few months, Sargent could be our only #9 starting in a Top 5 league and Nova could be starting in the Eredivisie. Meanwhile Wood will be in BL2 and everyone else in MLS. And AroJ will be hurt...but not forgotten.

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Shows how poorly the Championship teams operate. Novakovich isn't good enough for Reading, but is good enough for a better team.

There's no reason to go back to Reading. Hopefully he does well with this club, and it becomes a permanent deal.

14. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Pope was more mobile than any of "mobile" defenders. So probably he should be put in a different category. What about "Good"?

yabo and Winoman repped this.
  15. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arguably our best ever defender.

Eleven Bravo and Winoman repped this.
  16. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wonderful news. Certainly going to be more fun watching him in the Eredivisie instead of being forced to watch Championship soccer...

17. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Novakovich has a very good chance to start right away. Fortuna Sittard had just one true center-forward on their squad last season, and he wasn't as productive in the same league. They had a bunch of wingers and AMs, but just one CF. On August 18, they face PSV, so it may be Novakovich vs. the likes of Nicolas Isimat-Mirin and Santiago Arias.

18. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree. Some of these guys fit in more than one category. Anyone fit all three?

19. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    An optimist could read all sorts of good news into this article. Howe and Bournemouth seem to really like Hyndman but with his injuries and time he missed, he needs PT to play for them. They are sending him to a team that he should start at and get a big chunk of minutes with. The loan is only for 6 months, which suggests they think he could be back and playing for them in the Spring.

The pessimist would say he is not good enough and the only team that would take him is a newly promoted team in the Championship. And that that team didn't want to commit for more than 6 months.

I think the fact that Howe gave Hyndman a run out in the last game shows that he values him. That, imo, makes the optimistic take more realistic and plausible.

As for the USMNT, Hyndman should have been in the recent camp. But whatever. I'd let him settle at Wigan and not call him for the September friendlies. But if he is starting for Wigan, I would certainly take a look at him in the Europe based friendlies later in the Fall.

While Wigan was just in L1, they are a club with a good fan base and history. A good spot. Also good to Hyndman continuing to fight. Have my fingers crossed he can just stay healthy long enough to make an impact.

21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think this is good. Its a level that is roughly comparable to the level that many of our players get called up from. If he does better in the Championship than the options in MLS do, he could be in contention for a call up.

It was unrealistic to expect him to play for Bournemouth, but letting him re-start his career, and NT career with potential playing time at a good enough level is a good idea.

22. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does Wigan play a style that suits his skill set? I tire of our players going places that will obviously make them look bad. Probably not up to him but one can gather how much a club values who they are loaning out by if they settle for whatever or find a really good fit.

23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I doubt they do, but I'm not sure it even matters. If we are regarding him as a #8, he'll have to be able to show he can do a good job defensively, and not be overwhelmed physically. If they rarely have the ball, and he's rarely able to show his technical quality, I think thats noted in any evaluation of his play. Thats not really the area anyone would say he needs to work on though. If he gets the other area of the game down pat, I would say that likely suffices because technically and tactically (in possession) he clearly belongs.

24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Well...……………………..Hyndman did fine with the rough and tumble of the Scottish Premier League.

25. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He survived it but if teams thought he excelled he wouldn't keep getting loaned out. He would fit better in a ball control team but that is mostly his fault for seemingly only being willing to play in England.