Yanks Abroad Flavors of the Week 2017-18 [all R's]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Dr. Gamera, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tim Parker reminds me a lot of Jay DeMerit. Tough, physical, mobile defender who isn’t necessarily going to light the world on fire but can take it to anyone.

2. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Eventually, Americans will come to understand the importance of personality as opposed to athleticism.

3. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Statistically, he hasn't had issues holding or passing the ball.

+ Strengths
    Aerial Duels.....Very Strong
    Passing.....Strong
    Blocking the ball.....Strong

- Weaknesses
    Tackling.....Weak

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/131999/Show/Matt-Miazga

4. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    That's certainly what's needed against the better teams.

5. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006

6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Thats a dishonest representation of what I said because you left out what I said right after that.

I made it clear that I don't want those to be the only players who are playing at CB. If one of them is paired with someone who has an opposite style, maybe it won't be much of an issue. If its close in overall ability, mobility and ball-playing ability should be prioritized though because that is more conducive to having less defensive work to do. I never suggested that those players have no place on the NT or that we should call in players like Alvarado.

7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    You posted that. C'mon. If you meant something else, cool.

8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    If you take out certain words and phrases from the context that is meant, you can deceive others to make what they said seem like something else.

Nothing is hidden. You very clearly stopped the quote once I included the part that would go against your point.

9. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yeah, looks suspiciously like somebody trying to elbow Miazga out of the way and shoehorn a fave into the "back 2" ;)

10. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Remind me why Alvarado is in the conversation?

11. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miazga is our best CB aside from a fit and on form Brooks.

Miazga is also smoother on the ball and has better vision/forward passing than most other CB options.

12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    @IndividualEleven brought him up as a mobile center-back who is good in possession.

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #1238 ussoccer97531, Jun 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    Miazga boots the ball whenever pressured. He has no ability to step up into pressure, and make a play. Those plays you are claiming were under no pressure. I saw them, and I was cringing just at how hard he makes them look. Even when he completes a pass, he does it in such an uneasy way. He makes it look so much more difficult than it is. I'd like to see the NT have more than 30% possession when we play good teams. How can we claim we are improving when we bunker with the physicality and work rate all star team that has no ability to hold onto the ball or make plays?

I don't know why you keep pushing this narrative that I dislike Miazga. You don't pick the NT, I don't either. I'm simply giving my opinion. Every day you tell us why Acosta isn't any good, and Delgado must take his place. What would you consider that? Miazga has poor technique and doesn't have mobility to make plays with the ball. I think these are the two reasons why he routinely boots the ball whenever pressured. I never said I dislike him or he shouldn't play. Lets not start giving him credit for things he doesn't do well.

14. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ... and then stared him down.

Winoman repped this.
  15. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Ventura's time with the US was an example of dropping down in overall quality to get a CB who was supposedly great with the ball at his feet.

16. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Everybody knows I want to boot Acosta and put Delgado in ( the latter for the time being and if he keeps his place then he keeps his place and if he doesn't he doesn't - I've said what he does and doesn't do). So why don't you say you want Miazga out so you can put EPB in? What happened to EPB in the U20's in ET when we were 0-0 with Venezuela? He lost it. Miazga never did when he was with U20's. He held on and (with Acosta on the bench) Delgado put his pen shoot out attempt on goal.

sorry, EPB could prove to be the best of all time for us but there's no reason to start ripping on Miazga when he has done nothing but come up aces for us.

17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    There’s two spots for CB’s. I don’t view this as a battle. I don’t know why you state it as such.

But you are talking nonsense anyway. EPB was team of the tournament at the U-20 WC. Trying to critique his play at that tournament isn’t a very strong case. He’s been excellent for the US and at club level almost everytime he’s played. Wasn’t Miazga a starter next to Carter-Vickers for the failed Olympic qualifying team? I seem to remember both struggling. Elis destroyed them with his athleticism.

And that’s my point. I don’t dislike those players. I don’t know why you are claiming that. I think it’s very clear that players of that sort are tough to negotiate into your team. You like to talk about a game plan and who fits well where. If that is true, how could you not realize that playing multiple CB’s on the same back line with technique and mobility as weaknesses isn’t something that will work well? How well did that Brooks-Gonzalez pairing against Costa Rica work? Troncos. They got roasted by back up MLS’ers because there was no mobility to cover for each other. We need to be careful about how we make CB choices.

I see many claim we should just run Brooks-Miazga out there because those are the two who play at th highest levels for their clubs, but this is the same naive decision making that had us lose WCQ games we should’ve won. It’s also the same problem we saw in Olympic qualifying. What is the plan here? This is supposedly our best position, but it doesn’t seem like we’ve learned what combinations do and don’t work, in terms of playing style.

18. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not to overly defend our hex cbs, but there were three important factors at play. one- constant rotation left zero chance for backline chemistry. two- a rapidly declining (and by the final set of qualifiers a frankly very poor) gk. and third- graham zusi was our rb.

i want to be clear- zusi was a fine servant to the national team and a very good midfielder for us.

but that position was jose torres at lb bad the entire back half of the hex. you think gonzalez is awful? fine. take him, stretch him (and the entire backline) out constantly having to cover for an outside back and what do you get? add in a keeper who was no longer able to cover for anyone at that point.

its not as simple as gonzalez was bad, or brooks, or zusi or whoever. all of our crap-laying chickens came home to roost and we werent remotely prepared- or refused to- make changes that needed to be made. age, chemistry, team selection, insistance of playing guys who had aged out of postions at another position they couldnt play, players turning on the managers/each other...

every wrong was compounded by other wrongs.

its incredibly hard to assess players coming out of that. first you question if they, individually, are still of a quality (and age) that they could help us without all those other factors. and secondly you have to decide if they are going to bring any of the problems they were a part of with them.

but i dont think you can take any one match and say that thats the verdict on an individual player. dont throw the brooks out with the cameron-water, if you will...

largegarlic and DHC1 repped this.
  19. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, quickest way to ruin a thread this cycle is to propose a CB combination that does not include EPB. Like proposing a forward line that did not include Juan Agudelo last cycle...

Namdynamo and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  20. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Or a goalie who’s not hamid!

That being said, uss97531 is a passionate USMNT fan who invests a lot of time at both the youth and senior levels. Furthermore, his tone is infrequently over the line so I think he deserves BS’ forbearance on his pet players.

This being from someone who strongly disagrees with some core soccer viewpoints that he has.

Bajoro, Lookingforleftbacks and Winoman repped this.
  21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    You continue to be incredibly disingenuous, but thats your middle name. I'm not surprised. I'm sure you won't respond because your only aim here is to try to attack me.

Feel free to show where I said what you claim, but of course you won't be able to do that.

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Excuse me, show me where I said what he claimed?

23. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Where did I say that he did?

I think it’s fair to say that you highly rate EPB, Agudelo and Hamid.

24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think its fair to not make this a thread about me. It doesn't help to try to reason with the blatant attack he put forth.

I didn't claim what he said. He's trying to rile up support against me. I'd rather discuss the topic that was being discussed instead of having to defend myself from an off-topic attack against me.

DHC1 repped this.
  25. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    . EPB in just about every frame in that tournament u r citing. I rest my case