Yanks Abroad Flavors of the Week 2017-18 [all R's]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Dr. Gamera, Jul 27, 2017.

1. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Basically

2. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He also may be passed up by the time he comes back

3. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    That sucks!! Get better Danny!!

4. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Yes, and he also an idiot.

5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    And with Johnson and Cameron sidelined, Wood benched, Brooks injured, and Williams injured (plus being a rotation player only), we've been reduced to three guys regularly starting in leagues better than MLS in Europe: Yedlin, Miazga, and Chandler, and two who may be seeing their minutes reduced now that the injured players in similar roles are back (Pulisic & McKennie --the latter injured too).

6. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This fan-favorite German American who after a series of knee injuries is toiling in BL2 for a regulation threatened club scored today

https://streamable.com/eywbr

Boyd is currently below the Ralston-Line but deserves a shout. Should have gone to WC2014 after having a torrid season in the Austrian BL but Klinsmann took Wondo instead because Klinsmann hated MLS!

COMtnGuy and Patrick167 repped this.
  7. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lynden Gooch apparently had a stellar match per match reports for Sunderland yesterday in a trouncing over Playoff-bound Derby. That should bode well for his starting chances through the rest of these crucial games. Just when you thought they were out, they pull you back in. Maybe Coleman has found the missing pieces to stay up, he made five changes to his lineup in what was surely a last ditch effort to find a winning formula. He might have found it.

8. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Repped for the Sopranos reference.

(yeah, I know it's originally from the Godfather III - but It's better in parody than in that puke-fest)

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  9. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was ready "to go to the mattress" on that one.

10. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Good thing to get another senseless league comparison and an exaggerated description of MLS’ talent level. Even if someone agreed with those useless facts, it is good to understand that what is important for our players is that they are with a team that is a better development environment than what they would have gotten in the US. With the high number of high potential u23 players in good environments (includes Adams) and others who will likely move abroad, I wouldn’t be surprised if we could put together a full roster of players from top 5 leagues by 2021. Unfortunately, we’ll have to listen MLS fans argue for average players like Trapp, Nagbe, Roldan, Delgado, etc and how unfair it is that they aren’t selected.

We could field a better midfield than what we saw the other night from players in leagues “worse” than MLS. I’m sure I’m missing some, but I’d take Stanko, Parks, Hyndman, Green, and Gooch. The only guys we saw the other night that I expect to see after this summer are the left sided player from Belgium and Adams who will be moving abroad soon.

Patrick167 repped this.
  11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Recent US U20 Emmanuel Sabbi's first pro goal this weekend for Hobro in the Danish Superliga.

12. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a decent first pro goal.

13. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Zinkoff, STR1, dlokteff and 8 others repped this.
  14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    HartwickFan and IndividualEleven repped this.
  15. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    So ...... he tries sh*t?

HartwickFan repped this.
  16. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So is anybody else wondering if it's time to see if Toljan is interested in the US again? He looked much better yesterday at left back and is actually a right back.

17. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don't have a coach. I don't anyone is thinking long term right now. And a player who is a duel national isn't switching sides for someone who won't be there in a few months. Everything is on hold till then.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  18. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's all true but what do you think? Is he an upgrade to what we have? We don't need him this weekend but eventually there will be a new coach and seemingly a young part time Bundesliga outside back that can play either side would usually get some discussion but for some reason he hasn't.

19. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I thought there was some issue with his eligibility? Others probably remember/know better, but I thought he might have been estranged from his American dad, who then died, making it hard to prove citizenship. Is that right?

With regard to his play, I think he's been fine, when I've watched him, but not necessarily outstanding. So, I don't think he'd bump Yedlin out of the starting spot at RB, but would certainly be a frontrunner for starting LB. Definitely a useful player to have in the pool, but not a real game-changer if he were to switch.

20. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If my memory serves me he turned us down and stated that he only wants to play for Germany who he's repped at every youth level. I think he can also play for another country as well but but don't remember.

21. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klinsmann personally called and tried to recruit him. Toljan reported that it was a very "short" conversation, he had no interest.

Maybe Arena's right hand of the "real american" crew can do better?

22. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Why would any dual national commit to the USMNT now that we've missed Russia?

23. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think it was more like his American father died before he was born. Which an even bigger issue and doesn't seem to be close at all to his American relatives.

eligible for Croatia as his mom who he seems close comes from and I believe he also visits Croatia frequently.

24. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That does seem to make him playing or wanting to play for the US a glimmer. I guess we plod along and pan for more gold at LB hoping we don't get more of the usual fools gold. Surely one day a prospect will emerge that can be counted on for a while? Never happened before but I can wish.

25. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    We have a lot of players in Europe, especially young unproven guys. We need to start sending 3-4 year MLS pros to Europe. A guy like Delgado, 22, really improved over the past 12 months, played very well against Paraguay would be someone. Not sure he has the ambition and he might've signed some long term contract that MLS will keep him here until he is too old to move. Trapp is probably too old to make a series of moves, but could do like Cameron and make it to a mid-table club and put in 5-7 years there. Roldan doesn't seem ambitious, but maybe I only think that because he is friends with Morris. K. Acosta seems like an MLS lifer now.