Yanks Abroad Flavors of the Week 2017-18 [all R's]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Dr. Gamera, Jul 27, 2017.

1. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Makes me think of this one...

"Blown up, sir! Sargent's gone to Bremen" (1m17s)

Winoman repped this.
  2. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    COMtnGuy and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  4. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bayern is smart and CP made it clear, the US was fine for much of his development but he benefited greatly by being in Europe from 16-18, which he feels is critical to high end development. Booth is a lucky guy to get over there at this age if that happens.

Patrick167 repped this.
  5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Bayern is a terrible club for an academy player to sign with. Consequentially, RSL is probably the best club to sign with in MLS for an academy player.

He's a good player, I think he'll make it anyway, but it might be a longer path at Bayern. If thats the path he wants to take, who are we to criticize him?

6. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps Bayern is reading the tea leaves and realizing even with lots of money they could spend more wisely by using their own young cheap players. That would free up more money to buy even more of the best Germans on other teams.

7. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    - Emra Can
    - Alessandro Schöpf
    - Phillip Max
    - David Alaba
    - Toni Kroos
    - Thomas Müller
    - Holger Badstuber
    - Mats Hummels
    - Sebastian Langkamp
    - Sandro Wagner

And a ton of others. They seem to do OK.

Zinkoff repped this.
  8. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For some reason that made me think of Life of Brian and what have the Romans ever done for us? But other than those what youth players have ever done anything at Bayern?

9. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    McKennie is doing alright. He went over after turning age 18.
    Yedlin went over at 21.
    Dempsey went over at 23.
    Holden, excepting a disastrous 6-month stint, went over at 25.
    Cameron went over at 26.
    Donovan never went over permanently.
    Pope never went over.

The mania a few years ago was that MLS didn't provide an intense enough environment for young players.
    Now the mania is that MLS is too intense; young players can't get time---16-18, blah blah blah.

Players go over for financial opportunity. And there's nothing wrong with that. Only the spin changes.

onefineesq repped this.
  10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    The last player to make it to their first team was Alaba. Unless Booth is looking like a world class player, he's going to have to leave Bayern between 18-22.

It doesn't mean he can't make it elsewhere, but its definitely a tougher path.

11. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    He is going to make a nice packet and be well-positioned to move on should he, likely, not make it Bayern.

12. Susaeta

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is going to be coached by Holger Seitz and Tim Walter, two of the very best in the world. Whether or not he makes it at Bayern, I am confident he will become a better player for the experience.

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think him coming from the RSL academy makes it a real decision. Most MLS academies, and I'd say he should go to Europe. RSL, he'd probably get a chance to play early on. I don't think the best option is always Europe>MLS. I think it should be a case by case basis. There are a few MLS clubs who've demonstrated that young Americans will get a chance to play. RSL, NYRB, maybe FCD (they've proven that prior to last season).

I don't think it will matter either way, as I think he will be a NT player eventually (whether he chose Europe or MLS), but I think the RSL path was probably the better path for him. Then again, its his decision. Just like with the Gonzalez to Mexico decision, its not my place to be critical over his life decisions.

14. Susaeta

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a lot of respect for what RSL is doing and have been very complementary of their development work. That said, when you say Bayern is a “terrible academy” to sign with, my guess is you are ignorant to how good their academy is. Given their staff, their results in developing world class players, and their recent investment in their center, you come off as pretty naive. Only Booth knows what the best decision for him is, and the Bayern Academy is a great option to have.

IndividualEleven repped this.
  15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think its rather obvious what I am saying. Alaba was the last to make it through. Very good academy with top level coaching, but they don't integrate players into their first team. People complain about Miazga, Palmer-Brown signing with Chelsea, Man City. This is not very different. Almost certainly, the player will have to look for a new club within a few years of signing.

16. Susaeta

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #641 Susaeta, Jan 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    It is pretty obvious. I am correcting a narrative that Bayern is an unproductive academy, given clubs in Germany are littered with Bayern-developed players, and clubs like Liverpool and Real Madrid feature some of Bayern’s talent. Bayern itself has recalled a number of its best, like Hummels and Wagner.

Bayern is a Top 5 club in the world. Of course it will be hard to matriculate to the senior team. But if developing under world class coaches lands Booth at another Bundesliga club or an elite club somewhere else in Europe, it will have been a great decision on Booth’s part. In no way is it a “terrible” academy to sign with.

Patrick167 and DHC1 repped this.
  17. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Just because every player in their development umbrella doesn't end up a starter on the first team doesn't make them bad at development. They have the luxury of both buying great players AND developing young players. Odds are always higher that someone else develops the best player and if you can afford to buy him you do it.

18. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess this is one of the "bad eggs" we eradicated from the program on our way to a successful run to WC2018 in Russia?

You want me to play RB, LB, RWB, LWB, CM, or CB coach. No problem!

edcrocker, COMtnGuy, laxcoach and 5 others repped this.
  19. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, no, no, you see, 6 years ago he had a bad game! Zusi never has bad games!

Patrick167, COMtnGuy, Ghost and 4 others repped this.
  20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Its absurd. Chandler is probably our most in form player this season.

I don't care if he's put in 50 bad performances for the NT. Take your chance with your best footballers on the field.

manq360, Patrick167, DHC1 and 2 others repped this.
  21. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...sure, if they play in the MLS. Not those 'faux' Americans.

Patrick167, COMtnGuy and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Bad performances by Wood, Altidore, Bradley, Howard, Nagbe, Johnson, etc have been excused for years. If we are making a list of guys who've played a lot who have played well in this current generation of players, its a very short list. Why specifically single out Chandler's bad performances among our best players bad performances?

I don't think its that people actually don't think Chandler can help our NT, I think they use exactly that, this attitude that he's a faux-American, less worthy of playing for the NT. They act like he doesn't want to play for our NT, that he's not committed, its a complete guess based on bad performances from years ago and decisions he made over five years ago. Chandler took time away from the NT in 2012 saying he needed to decide if he wanted to play for the US, then he came back the next year, and has given no indication since that he didn't want to play for the USA. Howard took time off, Donovan took time off, did they get criticized for it? Why criticize Chandler?

If he's a problem in the locker-room, thats one thing, but there's no indication thats the case. We cannot afford to discard prime-aged players who are among our best footballers for really flimsy reasons. Maybe if you are Brazil or Germany, but we aren't. People here make a big deal about Cameron being left out of the starting lineup or Johnson not being called up, why not make a bigger deal about a better player seemingly not even being on the radar? Or do those people who don't do that employ the reasoning that Chandler is a faux-American, doesn't want to play for the USMNT, is unable to play well against CONCACAF opposition?

Patrick167, laxcoach and Ghost repped this.
  23. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The fact is he doesn't play defensive fullback very well. If we play him as a wb like Frankfurt does that's fine. But basically the whole team has to be dialed in to that.

We cant be all things to all people.

largegarlic repped this.
  24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Should I post the video of Yedlin's defending against Man City last week? How often does Johnson get on the field with Gladbach?

I tend to agree with you that he's more of a wing-back than full-back, but his total contribution at full-back is probably better than any full-back we have, and I don't see why we haven't tried out a 3-5-2 much. It would seem to fit the players we have.

25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    We need for Chandler to play again for the NT to remind us all why we didn't want him to play for us again.

Probably the same will be needed for Fabian, Bradley and Altidore at some point.