Yanks Abroad Flavors of the Week 2017-18 [all R's]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Dr. Gamera, Jul 27, 2017.

1. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The English Championship has started! For the most part its the usual suspects to keep an eye on (Lichaj, Ream, de la Torre, etc.)

However, a name non-youth watchers may not know is Antonee Robinson. He's an English-American LB/CB who's most recently been with Everton's U23 team. He's just been loaned to Bolton.

3. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kyle Scott was on Chelsea's first-team bench for the FA Community Shield Final, after having some preseason appearances for them.

Scott is one of the most mysterious US youth internationals -- not called up to our U20s since late 2015, yet apparently progressing well in Chelsea's youth system for a while. Not sure why he wasn't called up other than maybe Ramos simply didn't rate him. Here he is, making Chelsea's bench alongside multiple full internationals of other countries, and ahead of other (older) Chelsea players who are somewhat comparable position-wise such as Lewis Baker and Nathan.

Footsatt, HartwickFan, Bajoro and 3 others repped this.
  4. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does he want to represent the US? From Stars and Stripes:

"Scott has represented the United States, England, and the Republic of Ireland at the youth international level."

HartwickFan, COMtnGuy and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  5. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed, it's a good question, possibly a better explanation than Ramos not rating him. He probably likes the US and considers it an option, but perhaps he doesn't want to get overly involved with US youth teams if he is holding out for another England callup, as that is where he was born and raised, after all. But that's just speculation on my part. His US citizenship is through his mother, who is from Chicago.

Bajoro repped this.
  6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    A capped USMNT youngster that's quietly had a nice pre-season. His primary position is as a defensive central midfielder. Certainly a position in which we need to be developing some young depth.

Caleb Stanko ready to shine for Freiburg

http://www.bundesliga.com/en/news/Bundesliga/caleb-stanko-ready-to-shine-for-freiburg-456642.jsp

He played the full 90 minutes of Freiburg's last friendly before the Bundesliga re-start, a 2-1 defeat to FC Torino, and has played in the position regularly this summer. Stanko lined up against Feyenoord, Atiker Konyaspor, Sandhausen and Lörrach in central defence, demonstrating his versatility having previously featured in midfield in tests against Schutterwald and Freiburger FC in early July.

7. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Scott really is a mystery. A big prospect when he was 16. Then seemed to be lost in the shuffle at Chelsea and now on the bench. ?

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    He was a really highly touted prospect that was apparently on the radars of a lot of "big clubs."

He was part of the great broken leg wave with our USYNTers in England. Will Packwood at Birmingham, Marc Pelosi of Liverpool, and then Kyle Scott in a pretty short space of time. Packwood never recovered, and is retired as far as I can tell. Pelosi, who was considered a top prospect during his U17 cycle, has never really gotten back on track. He moved back to MLS with San Jose, but has only made about a dozen appearances in several years. So it seems he may never be the player we were hoping he'd become.

Scott kinda came out of nowhere to make that bench. I don't know if we'll see it again. By the time the transfer window is over, Chelsea will have added more to the midfield (other than Bakayoko of course). They have to.

ChuckMe92, USSoccerNova and Ghost repped this.
  9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    896001657426903041 is not a valid tweet id

10. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just as an FYI, Packwood retired last year and is studying finance at Boston College

COMtnGuy, ChuckMe92 and Winoman repped this.
  11. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not bad. I'd rather him secure a loan and play if it's pretty clear he's not going to get serious first time minutes.

12. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #37 iad_22201, Aug 12, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    In the PL today Cameron starts on the right side of a back 3 for Stoke against Everton (on CNBC for those interested) while Danny Williams is on the bench for Huddersfield. It's worth noting that Stoke signed Bruno Martins Indi yesterday afternoon and he'll almost certainly be slotted back into the spot Geoff is playing today once he's eligible and fit for action (provided Hughes continues with this back 3 experiment).

Edit to add it looks like Geoff is actually starting on the left side of that back 3.

13. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kyle Scott made the bench for Chelsea.

Lichaj was on the bench.

Williams was a sub.

Tillman did not play or on bench.

Pulisic was rested apparently.

Cameron went full 90.

ChuckMe92, edcrocker and Winoman repped this.
  14. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #39 iad_22201, Aug 12, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    1-0 loss for Stoke.

Geoff was fine today (save one bad giveaway). I thought the formation (back 3) worked pretty well for Stoke (Zouma in particular looked really good, aside from again, one bad giveaway). Darren Fletcher is a real upgrade from anyone Stoke trotted out in midfield last season (and if they can tempt Delph from Man City, I think they'll be in nice shape at the position). It appears like the big issue with them again this year is where will the goals come from.

15. JHickman

JHickman Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Southeast
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somebody getting big.

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Haji was always a tall dude. As a U17 he was quite gangly. He's really starting to pack some muscle on now.

Of course, an American youngster actually started for a BundII team yesterday.
    That was McKinze Gaines, of Darmstadt. Winger/Forward from Austin Texas.

Our U20 team was so stacked that neither he nor Wright were on the World Cup squad.

17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Sorry Clint, today's one of those days where I just happen to disagree with everything you say. :D

I don't think the team was so stacked that neither could make it. Ramos wasn't gonna have Wright for the squad to begin with. Schalke was not releasing any of the three Americans until after they got eliminated from the U-19 playoffs, so whether Ramos was so stupid to not include him in his squad plans or not, he wasn't gonna be on the team.

I also don't think Gaines wasn't on the team because it was so stacked. I'm not so sure Lennon and de la Torre as starters with guys like Saucedo and Kunga as back up wingers is stacked. Gaines should've been on the team, if those were the options. Fans were happy with the WC result, but the team fell short possession-wise and offensively against Venezuela.

18. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brooks injured today. Anyone know how serious?

19. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They had to amputate.

20. trafficjam304

trafficjam304 Member

May 28, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree, Cameron looked pretty solid, as did the whole back 3. I could see Stoke going back to a back 4 when BMI comes in, but it's still likely Cameron gets bumped and Pieters plays LB.

Fletcher was good except for in the final third where he lacked vision.

Berahino was useless, I don't know if it's the formation or what. Choupo-Moting looked lively when he came in as a sub.

All in all, Cameron will get his minutes this season but will have to put in some more work to be a regular starter.

21. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All in all Cameron will always get minutes. He's a utility player that can play RB, CB and CM. He's gonna be moved all over cause he can play at a solid level at all positions. It's going to suck for US fans as we'd like him to be consistent in PT location to project for the national team. But at his age I'm not too concerned. He's a true pro. Camp should be enough to get him comfortable.

22. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Injured or on the bench. That sums up a lot of the guys overseas at the moment.

Bruce has a done a great job so far. I feel as though Russia won't go well...

We are waiting for young MLS-based talents and our YA contingent to emerge. Not happening this cycle I'm afraid.

I think Acosta is an example of not quite being ready to start. Maybe another year will make the difference. Along with the next gen of kids. Sorry to be so negative, but I don't see great things until next cycle.

23. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Played pretty well as the more defensive of the two central midfielders. Was subbed off for Goretzka as Schalke pushed for the win.

IndividualEleven and Winoman repped this.
  25. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haji Wright found net in the 79th minute against Dynamo Dresden. Celebracion???

HartwickFan, Winoman, Zinkoff and 2 others repped this.