Yanks Abroad Flavors of the Week 2017-18 [all R's]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Dr. Gamera, Jul 27, 2017.

1. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    A WC spot would have been a nice lure. Now we've squat. None of our forwards have his physical tools.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  2. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Andrija Novakovich is currently 2nd in the running for Voetbal International's Eerste Divisie player of the season, behind only a Colombian who has a handful of first-team appearances with Ajax. Not the highest level of competition, but Novakovich is still a young player, just a few months too soon for being eligible for the 2017 U20s and 2020 U23s. Hopefully he's shown enough to be part of Reading's plans moving forward.
    920223006198153216 is not a valid tweet id

3. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Danny Williams starts in CM as Huddersfield beat Man Utd. I'm sure he couldn't have helped us though.

Way to go Il Douche.

4. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    We have people who play his position in MLS.

Greg Heaney, COMtnGuy and Deep Wilcox repped this.
  5. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Experienced" people...

6. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RalleeMonkey, edcrocker and Winoman repped this.
  7. Converted54

Converted54 Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Born in Washington, DC to Cameroonian parents and moved to France as a toddler. 21-year-old 6-foot-3 striker for Stade de Reims, who sit atop Ligue 2. As noted by @IndividualEleven above, no USMNT striker has his physical tools; you'd probably have to reach down to '98 Haji Wright to find an American striker similar to him physically. He's easily Reims' best player and arguably the best offensive player in the league. He has two France U21 caps to his name, and is still part of their pool, but has expressed USMNT interest. Brian Sciaretta noted in his Yanks Abroad thread that the US attempted to call him up to a U23 camp in the last cycle, but Reims denied release (no evidence it was Jordy himself who did so).

France is unbelievably stacked with young strikers, so it's highly likely his senior international career will be with the US or Cameroon. He obviously is worthy of a November USMNT callup attempt, though I'd guess he will want to stick with France U21s for now.

Bajoro, edcrocker, TheFalseNine and 3 others repped this.
  9. Converted54

Converted54 Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting to see his future career choices. A guy of his supposed talents, you'd think he wouldn't be with Reims too much long, no?

COMtnGuy repped this.
  10. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends. If they gain promotion his best bet is to stay at least another year as he is known there. If they fail to reach the top flight me may look to force a move up.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  11. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shaq Moore is making his senior debut today for Levante, in the starting lineup for the Copa del Rey match vs. fellow La Liga side Girona.

COMtnGuy, RalleeMonkey, Ghost and 6 others repped this.
  12. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cameron Carter Vickers gets another start as Sheffield United go top of the Championship League table.

COMtnGuy and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  13. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching Jonathan Gonzalez for Monterrey.

A little headless chickeny to start with reckless foul, wild pressure, and following wrong mark on a set piece.

But, he comes through with a great through ball to force a penalty.

Honore de Ballsac and TheFalseNine repped this.
  14. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I wasn't impressed by the way he played today as he has played good on previous games. Either way, he is getting experience in a competitive league, can't take that away from him.

Also William Yarbough is doing good! He should be another candidate for the NT along with Zack Steffen.

15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    US U20 and San Diego native Luca De La Torre made his league debut for Fulham yesterday. Fulhamerica returns!!!!

16. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bump in the road for Ethan Horvath, who was benched today.

Rahbiefowlah and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  17. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Players who could benefit from a move back to MLS:

Eric Lichaj - RB (Atlanta United)

Jerome Kiesewetter - RW (LA Galaxy)

Caleb Stanko - CDM/CB (Atlanta United)

Aron Johansson - FW (Sporting Kansas City)

Emerson Hyndman - CM (Los Angeles FC)

Marlon Fossey - RB (Orlando City) *Loan*

Matthew Olosunde - RB (Real Salt Lake) - *Loan*

Julian Green - FW (LA Galaxy)

William Yarbrough - GK (Minnesota United)

Alfredo Morales - CM (Orlando city)

Joe Corona - CAM (LAFC)

Junior Flores - CAM (Orlando City)

Joel Sonora - CAM (Philadelphia Union)

Gedion Zelalem - CM (Sporting Kansas City)

Mukwalle Akale - LW (Colorado Rapids)

Keaton Parks - CDM (Houston Dynamo)

Andrew Wooten - FW (LA Galaxy)

Andrija Novakovich - FW (New York City FC)

Terrence Boyd - FW (Seattle Sounders)

Rubio Rubin - FW (Portland Timbers)

Ventura Alvarado - CB (Houston Dynamo)

RalleeMonkey, Maxvall and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Responses in the quotes.

19. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #244 Eleven Bravo, Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    Appreciate the response.

It’s always tough to determine which club is a best fit for but wanted to try and take a stab at it.

A few I’ll debate with you for argument sake.

Kiesewetter and Jamieson, I thought, might be a good fit on opposite wings from each other. Not 110% sure of this is the best fit but who’s looking for wingers?

Stanko... Goslin might still be a year or two out, where Carleton should get minutes with Atlanta next year, or leave. I say that as an Atlanta fan but after this year, Carleton needs to be playing somewhere. That said, on Stanko, I see him very like Larentowicz who was critical for Atlanta this year. I don’t know if he still has it in the tank for another year, whereas Stanko could come in and not miss a beat.

Green, perhaps this is a hard one to peg. I see him as a true poacher forward type if he’s going to make it. But which team does that suit? Maybe LAFC, where he and Vela might be compatible if the playing style fits that system.

Sonora, I was thinking might switch to a winger type, as I don’t see his future as a pure CAM. Your thoughts? I’ll concede on being wrong on him. But that a return to MLS makes sense.

On Olosunde, I would like to see a loan from Dec-June. Perhaps it’s a too short of a loan to make a difference, but I’d like to see him show off some talent. Who could experiment with a young RB? Atlanta? I was thinking they need a more seasoned RB, either make a push for Rosenberry or go for Lichaj. Both would compliment Atlanta’s system well.

Marlon Fossey... I can agree with that. But I would like him to get the loan sooner than later, if he can find him a team that’ll give him regular minutes as a squad player from Dec-June. I’d like to get him blooded so he’ll be ready for 2018-2019 season.

Zelalem... his Arsenal career is over. He simply has not made the leap forward and the ACL year will permanently knock him out of the picture. What I fear is that he’ll be a YA journeyman until he washes out entirely.

Ghost and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't know where Kiessewetter could go, but I don't see his place on a roster with Zardes and BJIV. Same thing with Green for LA, he's a secondary striker on a team that has Dos Santos as a starter and Villarreal (who still doesn't get first team minutes). I don't think LA is a fit for any of these young attackers, I actually like their attack, I think they need some guys who can defend. Olosunde, maybe Stanko?

On Sonora, I think you are probably right, actually. I thought Bedoya was playing higher up on the field. And you are right, he could probably play in a wide position. That team needs more creativity in the final third.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  21. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Antonee Robinson(20y/o)[LB] 2 key passes, 3 tackles, 6 clearances, WS7.4__Bolton 3-3 Sunderland[Oct 31]

Cameron Vickers(19y/o)[CB] 3 ints, 6 clearances, 2 blocks, WS7.0*_Sheffield U 0-1 QPR

* = his team's highest score

RalleeMonkey and Bob Morocco repped this.
  22. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jonathan Gonzalez has told Mexico he intends to represent the USA.

HScoach13, Eighteen Alpha, TxEx and 5 others repped this.
  23. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    [​IMG]

Honore de Ballsac and TxEx repped this.
  24. TheRightPants

TheRightPants Member

Feb 23, 2006
    Los Angeles, Etc.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is some supporting evidence for that assertion:

Dutchman Dennis te Kloese, the director of Mexico's national team program, put to rest the suggestion that Gonzalez is ready to join El Tri any time soon.

"We know Jonathan, we have tried to invite him and involve him, but his wish has always been to play for the United States," Te Klose said in an interview with Raza Deportiva on ESPN Deportes.

https://www.socceramerica.com/publi...onzalez-will-get-last-word-in-usa-mexico.html

STR1 and IndividualEleven repped this.
  25. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Screw that. No dual nationals for the USMNT; they just don't bleed for the team like real blue-blooded Americans and the fact that he even considered Mexico shows us something.

I can't think of one dual national USMNT player who was worth a darn for our team.