Yanks Abroad Flavors of the Week, 2016-2017 [all R's]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Dr. Gamera, Sep 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    Can only help their chances.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  2. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
  3. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vitesse loan with the hope of impressing and latching on to someone else afterwards seems a fine option

4. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    I don't know why a young player with actual career ambitions would ever accept a transfer to Chelsea. He may as well have just flown straight to Arnhem and held that jersey up.

5. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The difference in pay between the two options is significant.

truefan420 repped this.
  6. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Yeah, and I'm sure Joorabachian or whoever his agent was is happy with the move to Chelsea, but for a player like Miazga who never really figured to be an option for a contending PL team, moving there and going on a parade of loans nerfs his career and depresses future earnings.

7. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not convinced that's true at all. I understand a lot of the criticism of Chelsea's giant loan squad, but in fairness to them they usually do a solid job of finding good/beneficial/productive loans for those players.

8. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    I may be mistaken, but other than Cuadrado (is he still on their books), Ake and Christian Atsu, are there other members of their loan army that have found permanent success elsewhere? Glancing through the guys they had out on loan as of 9/1/16 it looks like a pile of meh.

Was Lukaku one of the loan guys? De Bruyne?

9. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Traore moved to Lyon this summer for ~9m pounds. Mario Pasalic had almost 30 appearances at Milan last year. Christensen has been excellent at Monchengladbach. Hector had 25 appearances for Frankfurt. They had a couple of teens in La Liga who combined for over 50 appearances. Isaiah Brown, Lucas Piazon, Tomas Kalas, Tammy Abraham and Kasey Palmer all had solid to excellent loan spells in the Championship last year. Of course there is the Vitesse army (many of whom, including Matt, had productive seasons.

So when I look at Chelsea's loan "army" I see a whole bunch of players playing at an appropriate level for their skills who are developing as players. Is it ideal? Probably not, but it could be a whole lot worse.

Bajoro, DHC1 and Editor In Chimp repped this.
  10. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here are a couple of other players on Chelsea's books over the past few years who spent time on loan and later found success (to varying degrees) either back with Chelsea or after being sold to another top flight club: the aforementioned Lukaku, Courtois, Salah, van Aanholt, Victor Moses, and Oriol Romeu.

Bajoro, beamish and Editor In Chimp repped this.
  11. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Gotcha. Appreciate you giving me the clarity on this. That's obviously a pretty decent collection of players.

Bajoro and DHC1 repped this.
  12. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I always appreciate posters who are willing to acknowledge that they don't know everything. We need more of this.

Eighteen Alpha, OGx3 and USSoccerNova repped this.
  13. OGx3

OGx3 Member

Mar 12, 2004
    Davis, CA USA
    I acknowledge that I don't yet have the self-confidence to do what you are describing.

14. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something to keep an eye on this season will be Geoff Cameron's role at Stoke. I always thought he was something of a stop gap in midfield last season and believed that Hughes would prioritize strengthening that position in the summer. Well, they've already signed Darren Fletcher and, if the report below is to be believed, it looks like the long rumored move for Fabian Delph is close to completion.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/fo...ws-Fabian-Delph-exclusive-Stoke-Pep-Guardiola

15. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Curious as to what future people think the following players have with the USMNT. None have been called up yet since Arena took over, but all represented the USMNT either at WC 2014 or 2015 Gold Cup and to the best of my knowledge, are currently healthy.

Aron Johansson
    Julian Green
    Timothy Chandler
    Danny Williams

Do you think any are being considered by Arena for the WC 2018 squad?

16. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Chandler got called up in June but dropped out due to an injury in the DFB Pokal final.

17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Chandler has been called up. He was called up for the Mexico and T&T WCQ's, but had an injury.

Johannsson, Green and Williams probably all depend on how they play in their first divisions this season. If they are starters or playing a lot, I think they could have a chance. Otherwise, I don't think they have much of a chance.

DHC1 and FlipsLikeAPancake repped this.
  18. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    20 yr old Shaq Moore started for Levante today and received great reviews.

Outside chance he'll get mins in La Liga this season which would be magnificent.

He's a RB btw. If you're tired of this Zusi experiment, might root for Shaq.

19. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Californian Johnathan Gonzalez, 18, started and played 55 minutes for Monterrey in their 0-0 at Morelia.

He played as a sort of metronomic 6.

Bob Morocco and Winoman repped this.
  20. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't seen him in a while but he had speed to burn. At the national team level the best outside backs have that. Of course they need a lot more than speed and back then he was very raw. Hope he's cleaned it up. For a change the US seems to have a lot of decent prospects coming up at both outside spots. Very welcome development.

Zinkoff repped this.
  21. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    I thought he looked good with the U20's, surprised he didn't get more time.

23. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    I think we should start the 2017-2018 version of this thread, since we haven't already, after the Gold Cup final.

ChuckMe92, Winoman and Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  24. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    When was it that Jürgen gave him a cup of coffee, I can't remember.

25. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    September 6, 2016... 72nd minute sub in 4-0 victory vs T&T.

ChuckMe92 and Winoman repped this.