Yanks Abroad Flavors of the Week, 2015-16 Edition [R: includes results from many matches]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Jul 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    We had this thread two years ago, and it worked well. It didn't seem like we had one of these last season. Use this thread to discuss Yanks Abroad with some relation to the National Team. Possible topics could include form of NT regulars, new players that are playing abroad to consider, potential moves abroad for any current NT players.

USAMEX10 repped this.
  2. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    I really hope we get to see some of the young guys get time abroad this year. Zelalem, Green going out on loan. Canouse, Kessweiter, Stanko getting time. I'd also like to see Payne solidify his place in Gronigen's team. If the U-20 cup was anything to go by I'm seriously excited about his prospects at playing RB for the senior team in the near future.

juveeer repped this.
  3. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    juveeer repped this.
  4. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
  5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    My main objectives for our players this season:

Brooks and AJ to prove they are too good for their current teams, and get transfers to better teams.

The younger players to continue emerging. Hopefully the one's that are already getting minutes get even more minutes and play better. I hope some of the one's that haven't gotten minutes yet start getting minutes.

The veterans like Howard, Guzan, Cameron, Bedoya to just maintain some semblance of decent form. They are probably at the stage where there aren't big moves left. Hoping they play well and stay fit for when the NT needs them should be the primary hope.

FJ to have a good season in the CL. I believe this is his first time in the competition. Maybe Monchengladbach can make a decent run.

juveeer repped this.
  6. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    I'd settle for Brooks being consistent. When he's good...he's amazing but when he's not it's bad. AJ will score if healthy. All he does is score for AZ when healthy.

If Rubin can take a step up this year that'd be great. I'd love to see him with the senior team this year because I think he brings a lot of skills we lack from some of our forwards.

juveeer repped this.
  7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Brooks was consistent last season for Hertha Berlin once he got into a rhythm. I think his problem is being new to CONCACAF. He defends strikers much better than CONCACAF strikers in the Bundesliga, and he does it pretty well. I think its all mental with him against teams in this region.

8. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    I think Hertha has a better shield than dreads as well so that probably plays into the mental aspect of it. He still had his brainfarts for club as well but not as often it seems like. He's still my favorite player on the team.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  9. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/f...reading-fc-starlet-andrija-novakovich-9231539
    Andrija made the bench in a friendly, and according to this should get some first team minutes.

Ethan Horvath got a shutout in the cl qualifiers as Molde won 6-0 in the second round and plays a croation team in round three. Could be a name to look out for u23s and maybe 3rd keeper inclusion in Jan.

http://www.examiner.co.uk/sport/football/news/huddersfield-towns-duane-holmes-likely-9687607
    Holmes looks to be loaned, in hopes od becoming more consistent.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  10. TheContrarian

TheContrarian Member

St. Louis City SC
    Jul 24, 2015
    Reading, UK
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be great if Danny Williams is able to stay healthy and get a lot playing time at Reading. Given our national team needs, he might be an option. Plus it would be great if Reading managed to get promoted to the Premiership, giving Danny the possibility of getting consistent minutes at that level of competition next year.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  11. KennyWoo

KennyWoo Member

May 21, 2007
    Pasadena, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this the thread to argue about whether or not Giuseppe Rossi qualifies as a Yank Abroad or is that somewhere else? Surely that tradition lives on after all these years.

12. CenterLine

CenterLine Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It also let's us poop on Thomas Rongen for letting Neven Subotic "go":p

Seriously tho, we need a couple of attackers to emerge & push through, we need the next Donovan/Dempsey to walk through that door ASAP.

13. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Believe it or not, but I think Giuseppe Rossi is actually very liked on these boards.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  14. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep and Karma seems to be playing its part as a result of his decision.

juveeer repped this.
  15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Molde tied 1-1 on the road in Zagreb in leg one of their UCL qualifier. Molde's defense played really well, so Horvath didn't have much to do, but when he did, he did his job. He couldn't do anything about the goal scored against him.

Horvath is Courtois-lite. He's really really tall, athletic and skinny. He eats up anything in the air. You really can't beat him in the air. He didn't have many reflex saves to make, but some of the shots that went just wide he seemed to have them covered.

16. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Like all of those kids. Payne in particular looks like he could step up soon.

17. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Jersey Traitor!

18. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Rongen was, well, Wrong-Again!

19. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #19 autobus39, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
    All times eastern

Friday July 31st

Arminia Bielefeld vs. FSV Frankfurt 12:30 p.m. My German TV+

Querétaro
    vs Pachuca 8:30 p.m. Univision Deportes and Univision Deportes en vivo

Club Tijuana vs. Dorados 10:30 p.m. Azteca America

Saturday August 1st

Friendly: Newcastle United vs. Borussia M'Gladbach 8:30 a.m. espn3

Basel vs. Sion 9:00 a.m. beIN Sports, beIN Sports Spanish, beIN Sports Connect, and Fubo.tv

Friendly: Leeds United vs. Everton 10:00 a.m. NGSN

Friendly: Stuttgart vs. Manchester City 11:00 a.m. beIN Sports, beIN Sports Connect, and Fubo.tv

Club América vs Atlas 6:00 p.m. Univision, Univision Deportes and Univision Deportes en vivo

Necaxa vs. Venados FC 6:00 p.m. GOL TV and Fubo.tv

Chafetaleros vs. Coras FC 7:00 p.m.
    Live: None
    Delay: 8:00 a.m. GOL TV and Fubo.tv

Chalatenango vs Isidro Metapán 8:30 p.m. Centro America TV

León vs Veracruz 9:06 p.m. Telemundo and NBC Deportes En Vivo

Morelia vs. Tigres UANL 9:30 p.m. Azteca America

Chiapas vs. Santos Laguna 10:00 p.m. Univision Deportes and Univision Deportes en vivo

Sunday August 2nd

Sandhausen vs. Union Berlin 9:30 a.m. My German TV+

FA Community Shield: Chelsea vs. Arsenal 10:00 a.m. Fox Sports 1, Fox Deportes, Fox Sports Go, and Fox Soccer 2Go

Friendly: West Ham United vs. Werder Bremen 10:00 a.m. espn3.com and NGSN

Taca de Liga: Gil Vicente vs. Academico Viseu 11:00 a.m. NGSN

Friendly: Porto vs. Stoke City 11:45 a.m. Sport TV Americas

Taca de Liga: Oriental Lisboa vs. Freamunde 12:00 p.m. NGSN

Aucas vs. River Plate 1:00 p.m. NGSN

Cienciano vs. Deportivo Municipal 1:15 p.m. Peru Magico

Mario Balotelli, jond and USAMEX10 repped this.
  20. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #20 Excellency, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
    Last I read, Green is staying with Bayern reserves. Apparently, the only manager that wants him is Klinsmann.

http://www.espnfc.us/story/2541905/united-states-winger-julian-green-will-stay-at-bayern-munich

Unites States international Julian Green is set to stay at Bayern Munich and help their under-23 team win promotion to the third tier, his agent has told kicker.

21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm so down on Green right now. He's a talented kid. I really think that gets overlooked a lot, but he's really not helping himself at all with all these shenanigans.

22. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    I hope Pep lets him know that going out on loan will be good. He's talented and showed that at Toulon a couple months ago.

23. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alvarado vs. Greg Garza and Atlas in Liga MX tonight. Alvarado with an own goal, and hasn't played well.

Mexican fans very glad he chose the US. I don't think he'll be at Club America next season, just a guess.

24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I guess this isn't bad if he eventually finds his way to a much better league. Didn't Doneil Henry sign with this club and then sign with West Ham a few months later? O'Neill is no worse than Henry, so maybe there's more to this move than just this.